If No Z Canvas 2nd Ed, Is There A Logical Alternative?

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Nice find, Mr. Boosh! Now the only problem is length...if we take a look at the motherboard layout:

[​IMG]

If you try to run it out the pen clip hole, you'll need ~200mm cable and it might press up against the battery and screen. This may cause heat and EMI issues for the digitizer if you're running x4 eGPU data over it.

If you try to run the cable through the speaker vent, you'd need about ~150mm cable and you'd introduce bends in the cable, but you'd have a little more room to play with.

The 'perfect' card would be an m.2 to TB3 adapter with a ribbon connect to an external USB-C port. Haha, I wonder if those exist? :D

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not too knowledgeable on the bandwith issues, but I'm guessing m.2 to Thunderbolt 3 would be a no go?

I just found this: http://www.mfactors.com/p11s-p11f-m-2-ngff-to-pci-e-exender-board/ . That looks like it could be a one stop shop, ribbon can be chosen in 200mm or 300mm lengths. Would it work?

Edit: I think this is even better: http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C V4.1.html

Marty likes this.
  3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

All this for 5Gbps bandwidth? Might as well use the available USB 3.0 port, it's 5Gbps too.

4. Mr. Boosh

Please link me to a USB 3.0 external GPU! I can't seem to find one.

5. Mr. Boosh

Why is it 5Gbps...?

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

That's what the product page says.

This product seems to be exactly what you're looking for. They specify 5GT/s, which according to Wikipedia gives you a maximum of 8GB/s at 16x. I have no idea what's the m.2's actual specs are, but it seems to be working fine for a lot of people.

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I did a AIDA readout on the PCIe usage of the SSDs and it shows:

PCI-E 2.0 x8 port #2
    In Use @ x4 (Samsung SATA AHCI Controller (SM951 PCIe SSD))

PCI-E 2.0 x8 port #3
    In Use @ x4 (Samsung SATA AHCI Controller (SM951 PCIe SSD))

This seems to verified by the lane usage summary, which shows 4 available lanes:

[​IMG]

Going by the above, the m.2 port itself may be capable of PCIe 2.0 x8 speeds, which translates to 4GB/s. TB3 is only rated at 5GB/s so the performance hit should be marginal.

Even if say we're limited to 2GB/s, that would be close to TB2 max speeds and there have been plenty of GPU enclosures built on that. Overall, I think the cable and PCB quality of the adapter would have far more impact.

This is awesome! You could build your own eGPU enclosure around that, with an SFX power supply and be set! :D

ATIVQ likes this.
  8. Mr. Boosh

Is the one that ATIVQ posted the same thing, pretty much? The only this is I have no idea how I'd make that look clean. Don't want something flopping outside the chassis all day.

Edit: I moved this discussion over to a new thread.

9. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

Quick XZ update. Inking works while docked. Yodobashi Akihabara's demo machine is borked. Worked fine on both machines at the Bic Camera Halc in Shinjuku. Took some quick vids. will try to upload later.

kvoram and ATIVQ like this.
  10. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

Here are some quick videos I shot while at Bic. This was the i7-7600U/8GB version. You can see how the glare looks and get a reasonable idea of screen quality.

Enjoy!

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-Gf4rSH

Critical Observer, kvoram and Marty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.