If Money doesn't matter; TC4200 or T4010

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daring, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p2z

p2z Pen Pal - Newbie

Help, Someone that has seen both the Fujitsu-Siemens T4010 and the HP Compaq TC4200.
    If money/cost didn't matter (and optical drive doesn't either) what should I choose T4010 or TC4200 ???

As far as I can see the main reason people choose the Fujitsu is because of the optical drive. But I don't need it (that often..).
    As far as I can see the specs are more or less similar (correct me if I am wrong). So whats left to decide is the overall hands-on feeling of the two tablets. But I am not able to get my hands on them.
    So I have to ask you that has seen them; Which one should I order (and why?) ??

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Honestly, I'd go with the HP since it's smaller. I love Fujitsu, but the TC4200 is a great unit as well.

3. Dustin

Dustin Pen Pal - Newbie

I faced the same decision when i was chooseing tablets, because they come to the same price canadian if you include the external dvd and onenote that you would have to buy with the tc4200.

If i remember correctly these were the prices that i was juggling around (in canadian)
    tc4200 ($1950)+ external dvd drive ($150)+ oneNote ($60) = Total ($2200)
    T4010 ($2250) = total ($2250)

Here are the reasons why i chose the Tc4200 over the Fujitsu
    a) Very Very strong
    b) heard some bad things about t4010 overheating
    c) with no cd i would be less tempted to play games in class
    d) Smaller (as brian said)
    e) they had this cool interactive flash thing of the tc4200 and it looked awesome
    f) HP comes with an amazing warranty just out of the box
    g) It is higher up in the Most Popular Tablet PCs list (currenly number 6)
    h) the CNET user reviews were all 9 and up, not one bad review
    i) Better Battery Life (that was the biggest point for me)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Daring

Daring Moderator

I love my TC4200, but let's be real. I've had it since September and I'm still waiting on my 9+ hours of use. ;) That said I am generally getting in the 4-5 hour range without the travel battery which isn't too shabby either. I know I sound like a broken record here, but if you are stateside you should really look into the refurbs. I have never before owned a refurb, but I assure you based on my results so far, this will not be my last. They were offering the 3 year warranty for free, but I'm not sure if that is still going on or not. You could contact HP. Frankly everything is like new except the price, for example the standard 1.73GHz with 40G HD is $1199. Inventory changes daily so if they don't have your configuration in stock wait a few days and see. Some even ship with DVD drives.

HP Refurb Business notebooks/tablets

5. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey Daring, I know it may be hard to believe, but that test result was the real deal. Kinda cool huh?

6. p2z

p2z Pen Pal - Newbie

Well actally it is the other way around for me, the T4010 is 160$ cheaper than the TC4200 !. To this I should add some optical drive (Lacie maybe), so the result is that I probably have to pay 260$ more to have the HP TC4200.

But I also get a feeling from the review that the HP is better, but I have realized that it is impossible to see/try one in any stores.
    So my 'great' plan is to use the result of this thread to choose which one. And for the moment it seems like the HP is in front...

7. Daring

Daring Moderator

I didn't doubt the results Barry, I trust your reviews implicitly. However, I'm not sure that 9+ hours is anything anyone will achieve under normal use.

8. BrianL

BrianL Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I'm kind of going through the same thing now - trying to decide on a tablet that is. The tc4200 and the T4020D are at the top of my list too. I'm a university student who will not be using my tablet as my primary computer, but rather to take notes on and study with. Both seem great: battery life, weight, quality, etc. The models I'm looking at are the relatively low-spec HP from tigerdirect.ca...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1413698&CatId=219

..and the low-spec T4020 from Fujitsu.ca...

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/ca/EcomCA/buildseriesbean.do?series=T4

I'd undoubtedly be saving money on the HP, even after buying an external optical drive and OneNote - but I do like the bigger hard drive on the Fujitsu and the fact that the optical drive is internal. Oh, and not that its a big factor, but I think the Fujitsu looks way cooler than the HP :cool: .

So I don't really know what to do either. Does anyone know of a better deal on either of these models? (I am in Canada btw) Thanks!

9. p2z

p2z Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi BrianL
    Well, I think that I finally has come up with a reason to buy the tc4200 instead of the t4010; the chipset on the 4010 is the old Intel 855gme where the tc4200 has the new Intel 915 !. But I can see that you have the possibility to buy a t4020 which also has the 915 chipset so I guess this arguement doesn't apply to you ! (tough luck).
    It seems like the t4020 only is available in the US ? I wonder when it arrives in EU, and how much it cost compared to the t4010?

10. amgrover

amgrover Pen Pal - Newbie

I havent seen either but Ive heard that Fujitsu's customer service is unmatched. Although pricey, the Fujitsu has the option of a 3 year no questions asked LCD replacement warrantee. I'm sure that will come in handy if you plan on using the tablet feature daily. Or plan on dropping your tablet and breaking the LCD. Im obviously not speaking from experience but if youre making a 2000+ investment in a notebook you might as well spend a few hundred protecting it right? Why get a tablet if it doesnt work? thats my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.