If I order right now, how soon do you think I will get the Modbook?

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by thenewkasanova, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Jambalaya

Jambalaya Pen Pal - Newbie

When I ordered in November (2nd time after a cancellation in approx. July '07) I was told March '08 for delivery. There was no change for delivery date at the December 24th confirmation. When the OWC website claimed NEW orders would be shipping in January I asked OWC if there was an update/change to the shipping date for my build. OWC replied that I should receive mine between Jan 2 - 9.

Now 20+ days late, I called OWC to see where my order was in the queue (it didn't show up on the OWC status page either) and I was informed that, due to the complexity of the modifications resulting in unexpectedly slow build times, I would most likely see my modbook delivered by the end of February. This was a "guesstimate". No firm date was given....or implied.

In conversations with Axiotron a few days before Macworld '08 I was told that things were WAY behind.

I suspect it will be a while before I see mine. Maybe I can use it as a headstone.

2. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

LOL!

I called OWC again today. I was told mine would "probably ship next week"... how's that for funny? I'm not at all counting on it. Though I'd like to remain optimistic, the warm-fuzzies are fading fast.

I ordered Jan 8th 2008, got an email that said I'd get it Feb 5th and haven't heard an offered peep since... only reason I get any communication is because I call and "live-chat" them... and there's NEVER a solid answer.

The most incredibly frustrating thing in all this is what option do we have if we really want a Mac Tablet? There aren't any. I personally think it makes the whole thing worse when Axiotron KNOWS they have us all by the drawers and then take advantage of the fact... or so it seems.

3. Jimerson

Jimerson Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think the delays in shipping are Axiotron's fault, really. Don't get me wrong, I'm as obsessterated as the next guy to get my Modbook, but I feel that if there is anyone at fault, it is OWC. Apparently they are the ones who must assemble the machines, and I'm sure that is where all there resources are currently allocated to.

This may be a reflection of the poor customer service we have been receiving. Their hush-hush policy is probably set as to not get hopes up too high again as they did last year. I don't see why they wouldn't be trying to build and ship them as fast as possible.. it would be unproductive to any business model to purposefully do this- Mac-tablet monopoly or not.

*sigh* I just want my damn Modbook, and knowing deep down I'll most likely have to wait for a couple months pains me. ;o

And iRabbit, if I DO get mine before everyone else, I promise I won't tell a soul.. hehe. Last thing we need is an angry mob at OWC's front door.. or is it..

4. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Angry mobs can be productive ... LOL

And I agree with you... up until today, I thought Axiotron was the one to actually put together the modbooks... but I listened to a speech the Axiotron CEO gave and now I realize it's OWC who does the assembly. Either way, the lack of communication from either of them is frustrating. It certainly can't be good PR for Axiotron, even if they aren't responsible for assembly, to be known as the company that designed a product that seems impossible to get. The way it's promoted as well, it certainly LOOKS to the general public like Axiotron is the maker and OWC merely the distributor... but it's both of them that should be offering up explanations since they both benefit from having ModBook customers.

What choice do we have now but to wait? That the suckiest part of all really. We're all here because we like our Macs and want it in a tablet form and Axiotron is the only game in town. If I could get a "Mac Tablet" somewhere else I would have already done so. Trust me, I've already searched on Google about installing OS X on a PC Tablet... LOL

*Sigh* like you, I just want my damn ModBook!

5. Jambalaya

Well, I'm pissed off.

I just received this e-mail from OWC...

"First off, thank you for your continued patience in regards to your
    Modbook solution order. Although we expected to have already fulfilled yourModbook order, Axiotron was not able to ship OWC the number of Modbook conversion kits originally expected by this time.

Today Axiotron has updated OWC with new shipment dates that it
    expects to be firm and without additional delays anticipated.

Assuming that the current Axiotron kit deliveries occur as now
    expected, we look forward to being able to fulfill your order by or before
    March 21st 2008.

OWC and Axiotron thank you for your patience and sincerely apologize
    for the delay in fulfilling your OWC/Axiotron Modbook solution order.

Sincerely,

The OWC Team
    "

I'm currently without a decent tablet (using an intuos3) and have been without one for 6+ weeks. My work flow has REALLY slowed to a crawl and now I get word I've got another 8 weeks of waiting!?!

I'm not sure what to make of this. This smacks of Axiotron using advance orders to attract investment $$$ to pay for small production runs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  6. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Join the club... I understand your frustration completely. There are people who ordered a year ago who still don't have their ModBook... it's very sad.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Jambalaya

Well, I'm approaching a year-long wait if you count my original cancelled order...which I don't...much.

It appears OWC is not the responsible party in all this as they're simply an assembly subcontrator. In conversations with Axiotron throughout 2007 and early 2008, the rep was always both politely apologetic and encouraging. They have admitted being somewhat at the mercy of Apple's whims and unannounced changes to their Macbook line. (If Apple moves the location of something as simple as an USB port, Axiotron has to re-tool.) In the same vein, I have happily supplied feedback whenever asked regarding product design or accessories.

While none of the above entitles me to preferential treatment, and certainly none is expected, it would be courteous to supply accurate, detailed info to people who've proven they have the cash in hand. I obviously realize that Axiotron is doing everything it can to keep negative news from reaching the business community BUT I'm really not fond of being this much in the dark when all interested parties (i.e. - those who've pre-ordered) wish nothing but success for Axiotron.

The last time I ordered a car I was given an approximate build date and delivery was within 1 week of projected (minus freight time). I bought another car from the same manufacturer less than a year later. 'Nuff said.

8. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Well things appear to have changed in the last 24 hours. From what we're being told, they which to be more communicative now, and Jen from OWC has even joined www.ModBookForum.com ...

I know it must be frustrating for them too, just keep in mind that OWC's "about us" page on their own site says there are a "strategic partner" to Axiotron, not JUST a distributor. Their recent emails even call the ModBook an OWC/Axiotron ModBook Solution. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame them for the kits being backordered from Axiotron, but I can place blame for the way they've communicated with customers over the last year (without having it dragged out of them).

I'm hoping for the best now moving forward... I WANT them to succeed!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. storebror

storebror Scribbler - Standard Member

I emailed OWC and asked if they would ship to Sweden and they can do that...YAY!!!!
    The shipping was not too overly bad either as the modbook is fairly expensive to begin with.

They said that if I ordered "in the very near future" it would ship in April. Sounds good to me, but unfortunatly I´ll have to convince my wife that we really need one first. :p

Cheers.

10. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

It's April. Did it ship?