IE 7 - Secure Your Tablet PC and Keep Your Privacy!

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by poetdante, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I work with multiple websites, hardware and software titles on a daily basis. It's my job. Although I am very familiar with potentially malicious emails or websites, I can occasionally (while my mind is on other tasks at hand) let my guard down. Just yesterday I could have made a mistake that would have compromised my entire bank account, PayPal account and possibly even some previously filed credit card information.

THE STORY

So I get this email from "PayPal"...

[​IMG]
    (view larger image)

Honestly I've had this nonsense arrive in my inbox before, so I did a double take on this one. Interestingly enough though, this spoofed email took me to a link that not only had the duplicate of the PayPal front page, but a domain/address that appeared in my IE address box that was in fact convincing enough to fool an innocent user like my mom.

[​IMG]
    (view larger image)

At this point it is easy for the unknowing user to just start to type in there ID and Password (trouble). If the user is using Internet Explorer 6, they can just type away, hit enter and poof, there goes your financial security. Get ready to call your bank, sweat a bit, possibly have your identity stolen and all the while lose some cash. Sounds delightful!

Back to my story, I did a little test with Microsoft's IE 7 Public Beta. As soon as I clicked in the first box, the browser immediately took over to warn me. I was automatically taken to this page:

[​IMG]
    (view larger image)

I also received more detailed information via this pop-up window.
    [​IMG]

Is this type of protection revolutionary? No. It's beenavailable through a host of third party applications for awhile. But should Windows users have to pay for it? And does your mom,grandparents or loved ones have protection against this type of potentially devastating trap?

It's really great to see that Microsoft is keeping the promise to provide more secure computing for Windows users. IfInternet Explorer 7 Public Beta Preview is a hintof the securityVista will bring thenissues like this may become a thing of the past. Let's hope so!

For more information and to download Internet Explorer 7 Public Beta go here.

Barry

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Madcap

Madcap Pen Pal - Newbie

Does Firefox have that kind of protection built in? Perhaps you can give the link of the site that was trying to scam you so I can try it out if you don't know.

3. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

well for one thing banks send you hard copies of letters for that sort of thing. my bank said they would never email you and ask you to go online to fill out credentials. I wonder if the terms of use are the same. In general, you could report that site to the feds I would think because it is breaking copyright law not only by the name and design of the original paypal but most likely the terms of use and such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.