Ideapad Miix 700 vs. Elite X2 12 1012 G1 (or Latitude 11 5175)

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by HJK, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm thinking about purchasing from EBay to upgrade from my Latitude 11 5179 to something larger, and both the Lenovo Ideapad Miix 700 and Elite X2 12 1012 G1 seem to possibly fall within my budget and fit what I'm looking for. They are so similar, that I'm not sure which one I'd go for. I'll probably go with the Elite X2 because there seem to be more available for slightly less on EBay. But if they cost the same, I'd lean towards the Miix 700, mostly due to lightness and looks. A third option may be to buy another Latitude 11 (long story), which is also similar in cost, all things considered (usually cheaper, but doesn’t include keyboard or pen).

I'd be curious to hear from people who have real world experience with either.

Here's the broad-outlines Pros and Cons, with a lot of my information coming from notebookcheck.net

Miix 700 Pros: More attractive (gold+watchband hinge>silver+U-shape stand), lighter, some have 3D rear camera (?), higher res selfie camera, lighter (major pro), higher res display, slightly longer battery life, smaller overall "footprint," looks easier to service (replace battery, etc.).

Elite x2 12 Pros: looks sturdier (?), backlit kb (not a big factor for me at all), can find for cheaper, can find models with M7 processor=more powerful; fingerprint reader, more powerful performance overall (comparing m5 model vs. m5 model); Con: No physical start button (wtf HP?!?!), better speakers (?),

Third option: Stick with a Latitude 11 5000 series

Pros for Latitude 5175: much brighter screen, I'm used to it, more lappable with kb dock, higher res. rear camera, great battery life with kb dock added (and since I have three working Latitude 11/Venue 11 Pro kb docks, I can take this thing on a road trip and never have to plug in), smallest footprint—less obnoxious to be carrying around on the job, I like the Dell dock, easiest to service (major pro).

Latitude 11 Cons (why I'm wanting to switch): not enough screen real estate, least powerful (comparing M5 to M5 to M5, not a big deal)

Oh, fwiw, here’s my use case: word processing, note-taking (portability very important), running Accordance Bible software, producing short (5-10 minute) videos (mostly for communicating with parents of families, though sometimes for other purposes).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  2. HJK

For what it's worth, I just sprang for a Elite x2 12. I was actually leaning towards getting another Latitude 11, I like it so much, but I big on an Elite x2 kind of on a whim, actually thinking my bid wouldn't be high enough to win, and I got it. So I'll try that out for a while, anyway.

3. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a miix 700, but if I could I would swap it for an elite x2. The miix digitizer layer isn't as good as the elite, from what I've read on these forums. Elite has LTE option, and thunderbolt docking possibilities. For LTE if you're in the US you can get a freedompop sim and get up to 700mb free data every month. As for docking, with the miix I have to plug in a USB hub, power, and display. That's 3 cables every time I move from my home office to my work desk. If I could have a one cable solution it would make my life easier. Plus, with the elite resolution being 1920x1280, you can use a 1080p external monitor without running into weird scaling issues. With the miix, it's a 2160x1440 display, meaning if you want to output to an external display without scaling issues you will want to use at least a 1440p monitor.

4. HJK

Those are interesting considerations. I've wondered about the Miix digitizer. I've seen a Youtube review that says the Miix digitizer is not as good as the Elite, but I wonder if it's the Lenovo pen, and not the digitizer screen. In which case I would just use one of the HP AES pens I already own. It sounds like from your experience it's the digitizer?

5. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

My miix 700 digitizer has high offset in specific areas of the screen, and it's in those same areas that there is increased jitter, which makes my handwriting really ugly. I compensate by scrolling so I'm always avoiding that portion of the screen. It's not horrible, but it's definitely a digitizer issue and not a problem with the pen. I know different pens have different levels of iaf or hover distance, but this issue with jitter and offset in one part of the screen isn't something you can overcome with a different pen.

HJK likes this.
  6. HJK

That ain't good. I hope that's not common. I think I'm going to miss my Latitude 11 Pro when I switch over. It's a great little device. We'll see which one I stick with. Whichever one I don't want I'll be letting someone else use.

7. HJK

As it happens I accidentally purchased one of each (long story--basically overextended myself on ebay offers/bids, lost track, and accidentally purchased *both* a Miix 700 *and* a Elite x2 12). So for fun I'll compare the three in all ways--run battery reports, work in various environments, take notes on all three, run benchmarks, have my artist daughter draw on all three, watch videos on all three. Then I'll sell one, give one to my parents, and keep one.

pierro78, Bronsky and thatcomicsguy like this.
  8. HJK

I put the Elite x2 through it's paces as my driver for a couple days and now I'm using the Miix 700. Each of the three devices has it's strengths.
    Elite x2: Definitely the sturdiest of the three.
    Miix 700: Definitely the prettiest of the three.
    Latitude 11: Definitely the most tablet appropriate of the three--i.e., the best to read on and carry around in portrait mode.

Beyond that, each one has its specific strengths and weaknesses.

Bronsky likes this.
  9. HJK

After tinkering with the X2 and the Miix 700, I think I'll sell off the Miix 700. I may have to take a loss because the rear camera was DOA. Here's my quick comparison, for the benefit of anyone else looking at these very similar devices on EBay or elsewhere:

Between the two bigger tablets, most people are going to want to go with the Elite X2 if they are taking notes. The Miix 700's digitizer is by far the worst of the three (including the Latitude 11), and I even think Synaptics digitizers tend to be better (yes, it's that bad). There is no hover distance, and it misses strokes. The X2 12, by contrast, has the furtherst hover distance of the three, and, while it may not quite rise to the level of Wacom EMR, the Elite X2's writing experience is really, really good. Also, despite the fact that the Miix 700 I bought has an M7 and the Elite x2 has a Core M5, the Elite X2 significantly outperformed the Miix 700 on Cinebench. In fact, the M7 Miix 700 barely surpassed the Latitude 11 M5. Furthermore, the Miix 700's keyboard doesn't function well, especially the sticky trackpad which doesn't even register many Windows 10 smart gestures (like the three finger swipe to show open-apps/timeline view), and is very choppy with some others (like pinch to zoom and two-finger scrolling).

On the other hand, the Miix 700 has a very nice display, and the speakers are much better than the faint speakers on the X2 (although the Latitude 11's speakers surpasses both). It looks absolutely stunning with the watch-band hinge, gold color, kickstand, and sleek, angular design. And it is significantly lighter than the X2 12, which really made a difference on a day when I was standing and taking hand-written notes for a long stretch doing some observations in a classroom. Also, where the X2 12's hinge doesn't go down nearly far enough to support note taking the way I would like, the Miix 700's hinge goes back very far, making a slight angle perfect for note taking. So the Miix 700 has its strong points too. I've enjoyed having it around and I've grabbed it when I've wanted to watch a video, needed to stand and take notes for a couple of hours, or just felt like having something pretty to show up the Macophiles at the coffee shop.

As for the Latitude 11, there is much to commend it, and I will probably find myself going back and forth between the Elite and Latitude, but I will probably sell off the Miix.
    Fwiw.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    pierro78, Aitolu, Marty and 1 other person like this.