Ideal Tablet for Pre-Med/Bio Student

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by kureshii, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Jonnyb504

Jonnyb504 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I am a Biology major/Pre-Med and have a lot of books, notes, ect. that I would like to get all organized into a tablet pc. I am very anal organized person and I am thinking this would be excellent for me. One major thing for me is I need something that will last for quite a few years, possibly in Med school also. I know that might be hard with the nature of computers :confused: ?

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

Around 2,000 (I would pay more for quality and longevity)

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?

Convertible

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    Compact ~ 10"
    Mainstream ~ 12.1"

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?

USA

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Not really

6. How many hours battery life do you require?

Around 4 preferably, but I can allways purchase an extra battery.

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?

-Alot of note taking (preferably word recognition.)
    -Organization
    -Creating Excel Spreadsheets, Powerpoints, ect. (Microsoft Office?)
    -Watching DVDs (This is not important by any means, but would be a +)
    -Surfing the Internet (Do they even differ in this aspect? Don't know if it is possible lol?)

8. Do you have an OS preference?

-I would like the best of the best for tablets! You tell me what that is lol

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?

-OneNote I believe it is called, basically the best programs needed to fit my needs stated above.

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.

-Not really, I will try to keep this one for school purposes only. I have a PS3 for games heh. Hopefully this might cut the price back some.

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?

No preference

2. What resolution do you prefer?

XGA - 1024x768 ~ Large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen.

-I have pretty good vision, so unless the SXGA is ridiculous then either of the two will work.

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?

-Obviously both would be a +, but I do most of my work indoors so it won't effect me greatly.

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?

-Active Digitizer

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?

-Wacom seems to be the better choice?

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?

-Enough to store alot of notes, powerpoints, files.
    -Enough to where it isn't slow, lol. I hate slow computers, who doesn't?

2. Do you require an Optical Drive?

-?

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?

-Most likely not.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

2. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

For quality, have a look at one of the Fujitsu tablets (T4220 (for power) or T2010 (for battery life)). I would be more inclined to go with the T4220, as it is more powerful, so it won't be considered "slow" as quickly as the T2010 would. You can also get a modular battery for it if you want more battery life

3. Jonnyb504

Should I get Windows Tablet PC Edition 2005 or Vista?

4. Jonnyb504

I really like everything so far about the fujitsu 4220...any other suggestions?

5. chinesefireball121

Vista would be better as it has better hand writing recognition.

Other suggestions would include the Asus R1E or the lenovo x61. Didn't mention them in my first post as the R1E could have battery issues (like the R1F) and the lenovo has had issues with the bevel coming. The Fujitsu has had no major issues.

Forgot to mention earlier - optical drive means a cd/dvd drive

6. Jonnyb504

Hows the gateway compare to the fujitsu?

7. chinesefireball121

My general impression isn that gateway isn't so well made (well compared to fujitsu). But then I don't really follow the gateway forums so much (I live in Australia, so no chance of me buying a gateway). Having said that, most people seem to love their cx-140 (although you probably want to look at the smaller cx-120)

8. Jonnyb504

Based on my needs....what would you reccomend be the base setup I go with with the fujistsu? I was building different ones, but not sure what I NEED. I tend to pay more money than I need/should thinking I must have the upgrades or the computer will suffer. Can I just get a base model and be ok or are there some pretty much neccessary upgrades I might need to put into consideration?

9. student

student Scribbler - Standard Member

Jonnyb504, if you enjoy pain you could get a Lenovo X61T?

Go through the Fujitsu T4220 options you are having difficulty dealing with...

10. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think the T2010 is the better one for you, because you don't use cpu intensive progams and you use the tablet more like a tablet instead of a laptop or dekstop computer. The T2010 is more handy, less heavy, better display (widescreen, WXGA and bright LED backlit), better design, not DVD drive, less power but longer battery life.

OS: If you're familiar to Vista, then take it. If you use XP on all your other computers, then buy XP ;)
    Vista sucks, because it is slower, bigger, has effects which no one needs, is incompatible to older hardware/software, ...

I have XP and handwriting isn't so good. But I don't think that it is that much better in Vista ;) In only hear, that Vista is trainable. But I have a "good" writ, and XP recognices almost everything I write, but it's senseless for 99% of the time ;) I study math and physics and if I write anything except a word, then it fails, and I do it the whole time ;)
    I also don't use handwrite recognition to write texts, because it's much faster, easier and more save to write with the keyboard. It's to complicated to write a text with the pen.
    I use the pen if I'm too lazy to navigate with the touchstick, if I write my notes in One Note or if I draw anything. Handwriting recognition is nice, but far far away from useful ;)

And remember. Note taking in One Note is easy, nice and you have a good organization, but it still sucks ;) Printing, importing, editing, drawing, ... is just awful. It's unbelievable that it's a final microsoft product which costs about 100 USD. OneNote 2007 is "version 2"!! I don't want to know how bad OneNote 2003 was ;) OneNote has a lot of senseless things. But it misses elementary things. Does anyone know how to draw a circle? Yes a circle, not an oval ^^ Or does anyone know how to get a precise "stroke eraser"? Or does anyone know how the ****ing containers work if I use ink? (They ruin sometimes my whole print out). Or or or. It's just amazing, that there is no real good program to take notes. So don't excpect too much from OneNote.