Iconia W510 mini-review

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sketchy9, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vap3

vap3 Pen Pal - Newbie

how does the speed compare to an I5 sandy bridge? livable?

2. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

It all depends on what you want to do with this. If you just wants to do MS office and browse the web. You will not notice much difference. If you're planning on using it to rip/convert videos and such, it will definitely takes longer on the W510. You also probably won't be able to multi-task as much since you only have 2GB of RAM.

3. meengla

meengla Pen Pal - Newbie

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

5. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

I got mine the other day. I had the Surface RT, and loved the hardware but Windows RT wasn't what I needed. This little guy is wonderful. Google Chrome works pretty well for my needs for work, with minimal lag. Really makes me think that Microsoft should have put an Atom in the Surface RT, and came out with it at a later point. This will fit my needs until the Surface Pro or Thinkpad Helix is released. BTW anyone interested in buying the other? Got them when they were 399 at Microsoft. Son prefers then Samsung ATIV better so this other must go back. Just wanted to offer it to someone before I send back to Microsoft. PM me.

6. tanjeraldyne

tanjeraldyne Pen Pal - Newbie

Mhotep: please check PM. thanks! c",)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  7. svmus

svmus Pen Pal - Newbie

I am contemplating purchasing W510-1674 purely for entertainment purpose. Can Intel Atom Z2760 1.50 GHz can handle these?

Playing bluray ISO using Cyberlink Powerdvd 11 from Synology NAS or from MicroSD card
    What is the max capacity MicroSD card? Hoping 64GB
    If I get pro pack Media Center upgrade, can it play live OTAC HD channels? I have Sillicondust HDhomerun on my network. I have lot of OPB recorded programs and love to watch them on the tablet using Windows Media player.

Thx

8. sketchy9

sketchy9 Pen Pal - Newbie

Acer seemed to make a big point of saying it was a 32GB max on the SD card. I did not push my luck and am only using 32GB. I don't know if this can do live OTA HD viewing, but I know for a fact that it plays recorded HDTV shows (unchanged .wtv files) with absolutely no problems. And I'd recommend Windows Media Center instead of WMP for playback-- you get the ability to skip in 30 sec. intervals and the controls are surprisingly touch-friendly, considering the interface was never designed for touch. Battery life is pretty solid even with HD playback, I was on the tablet only (no dock) and watched 4 hours worth of shows and still had over 50% life left. I haven't checked Blu-Ray playback, sorry.

-R

9. sketchy9

sketchy9 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've seen the same behavior from the mouse. It goes away if undock and redock the tablet, which leads me to believe it's almost certainly a driver issue.

-R

10. DanNeely

DanNeely Pen Pal - Newbie

What are its dimensions LxWxH(max) with the keyboard attached and closed. According to the numbers listed on newegg it barely gets any thicker when docked; but the pictures with it open make the keyboard appear to be roughly the same thickness which makes me suspect something wasn't transcribed correctly but since I can't find any pictures with it closed I can't be sure.

Newegg:
    10.18" x 6.6" x 0.35" (Tablet)
    10.18" x 7.34" x 0.39" (Tablet & Keyboard Dock)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.