IBM Lenovo ThinkPad X41 Tablet PC "First Look" (pics, specs)

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Ozone, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

hey Barry, what I meant was is the battery the 4-cell or 8-cell,

ThinkPad X41 Tablet 4 Cell Li-Ion Battery [$129.00]
    ThinkPad X41 Tablet 8 Cell Li-Ion Battery [$159.00]

The 4-cell battery would be flushed with the back so this is most definitely the 8-cell from what I can see. The extended life battery is I think only available via the docking solution and when you're in notebook mode.

BTW, just read a short review on BW.com and Wildstrom said this is the first Tablet PC he'd actually consider using as his everyday laptop. Go IBM!

:)

"A Tablet Ready For Prime Time"

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What can we do with Andrew? He is the ultimate IBM groupie! :D

BTW, yes Andrew, your are right; our review unit has the 8-cell battery.

3. BrooklynBound

BrooklynBound Pen Pal - Newbie

What's the model number of your review unit? I'm guessing it's 18666HU.

I just got off the phone with Lenovo and was informed that the 18666HU (should be on their site by next week) is basically the 18695CU (which is available today) with the addition of 8-cell battery, a/b/g wireless, and bluetooth.

4. Barry J. Doyle

It's hard to tell our product or model number, since IBM essentially packaged the machine and components for media use. Sorry -

5. sfdoddsy

sfdoddsy Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had quite a few Tablets, and I'm finding the enthusiasm over the X41 very enlightening. The interest is not because it is an especially good tablet, because that is a meaningless term. It's because it seems to be quite a good laptop. This has been everyone's beef with other convertibles. They just weren't very good as laptops.

I don't want a tablet. But I would like my laptop to be able to be used as one. All that is required is a swivel and a touch screen. So why manufacturers assume that those two things also mean I want something that is slow, fat, with a crappy screen, poor gpu etc etc escapes me.

You should also check out the Fujitsu T4010. It's quite close to the IBM in size, but has the optical drive built-in. This may not seem such a big deal until you have to a system restore on a laptop that uses an external drive.

Cheers

Steve

6. Barry J. Doyle

Steve,

I really can appreciate your point of view. I also absolutely agree with your opinion. Most users at this time are indeed looking for an excellent notebook that double as a good Tablet PC. The bulkier machines do have there place for those looking for an all around semi-desktop replacement/notebook/tablet type of machine. The majority of folks who are out on the road, and carrying a machine around daily are best thinking along the lines of the X41 or T4000.

7. Ozone

Ozone Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Barry... found your review to be very enlightening. I used to use a tablet daily, but gave up for precisely the reasons that were mentioned earlier: for me, I need a good laptop first, followed by optional pen input.

Along those lines, could you indicate if:

1. The swivel mechanism is solid and secure; i.e., the display doesn't bounce around or shake when it's used in laptop mode.
    2. What is the approximate time-to-resume when the machine is coming out of standby or hibernation? The slowness of the previous machine was a real annoyance.

Thanks very much! Looking forward to your full review.

8. Barry J. Doyle

Ozone,

Here is my opinion regarding the issues you mentioned regarding the X41 Tablet PC.

1. The rotating hinge is solid as a rock. The display does not budge or move in any position and I will attest to that.

2. The machine could be considered somewhat more sluggish than other notebooks or Tablet PC's because it uses a "low voltage" Pentium M 1.5GHz CPU and the hard drive spins at 4200RPM. The tradeoff however is a wafer-thin, super light and sturdy portable that has outstanding battery life. We will go into further details in the X41 Full Review to be released later this week or early next week.

9. Ozone

Ozone Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks very much Barry. I'm looking forward to your indepth review!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.