I want it all...

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by NiceIdiot, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceIdiot

NiceIdiot Pen Pal - Newbie

I am an independent game designer and I am currently running on an Acer TravelMate C300. It has been great for me, with a few exceptions.

1. I had to replace the screen hinge.
    2. The video (although a standard on most Tablet PCs is not enough for my needs)
    3. Screen is only viewable indoors.

I am looking to upgrade and I want a system that has a video chipset that is able to support slightly better 3D than that that is standard in the TMc300 (The Intel 82852/82855). I would also like an indoor/outdoor display. Core 2 Duo or a fast Core Duo. I need a FireWire port, unless there is some way to do Firewire>>USB 2 nowadays. I don't need and Biometrics or Smartcard. I would like a larger screen if possible, since I do a lot of painting on this system. Higher Res screens are also great.

To recap, the most important things are:

• A good video chipset able to support basic 3D operations and the occasional game.
    • Core 2 Duo
    • Indoor/Outdoor Screen
    • Firewire
    • Larger/Higher Res Screen

I looked at the Toshiba/Lenovo/Asus and they are all missing at least one important item off the list. The Tecra M7 has a separate video card, but it does not appear to be 3D optimized. The Asus has no Firewire and the standard embedded Intel card. The Lenovo has the standard embedded Intel video card.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Further investigation reveals that the Intel 950 Graphics processor may indeed be sufficient

2. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

I own the c310 as well - it does have firewire, BTW. It's a 4-pin one on the back.

Your desire to get a bigger screen and better graphics are certainly not new for tablet users. Unfortunately, there isn't a "gaming" tablet pc market, so nothing like that has come out. I can suggest the Acer c213 which is a SMALLER screen (12") and has a better graphics card (GeForce Go 7300). It has core 2 duo and firewire.

I hope that helps. I have NOT seen anything else with a decent dedicated graphics option on the market.

3. skisteven1

skisteven1 Pen Pal - Newbie

It is possible (and relatively cheap, I think) to get a firewire card that plugs into the PCMCIA slot that IS available on almost every tablet out there.

Perhaps that will aid you in your search.

4. NiceIdiot

Heh heh, yeah, I know that much, and that is the reason I need it on the new one too. I have a FireWire camera and want to keep that feature. :)

I think in my endless scouring I found the perfect tablet, it fits all but one of my needs. It is the Gateway CX210X. It is Core 2 Duo, has a 14 inch with (slightly) higher resolution, express card slot, FireWire, it comes standard with the Intel 950 graphics chip, but can be customized to have an ATI x1400, which leads me to a new question... in a second. It does not have an indoor/outdoor screen however, although this is not a DEAL-BREAKER, after a trip to Cabo had me spending a great deal of time indoors because even the balcony was too bright to work, I swore I would never buy a display without the ability to be viewed in sunlight. So, here are the final questions:

1. Is the ATI x1400 with 64 MB of RAM a better solution than the Intel 950 with a max of 224 MB of shared system ram?
    2. Is there an after-market film that will truly allow the screen to become an indoor/outdoor screen and not have a marked impact on pen input or display quality?
    3. Are Gateway tablets garbage?

Thanks for all your help!

5. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

1. x1400 as far as i know can share ram upto 256
    regardless, it's much better than intel's integrated solution
    2. never heard of these
    3. some people consider them garbage, some don't
    i don't and i plan to get one when i get enough money (unless something better comes out by the time i save up enough)

6. NiceIdiot

WriteSHIELD and 3M Vikuiti are two such examples. I think WriteSHIELD may be the only ones that come precut in a size that will fit though.

I think I have a winner.

Thanks all!

7. oneiozz

oneiozz Tall, Dark and Gruesome

Nice, I almost feel like we're looking for the same kind of computer and only finding one option...

8. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you sure the Gateway is the answer for you? Becuase if you do alot of painting it would seem like to me that you would most surely want a tablet that was wacom penabled over Gateway's Finepoint technology...they are still Finepoint powered and not Wacom right?

Perhaps you've already looked into this and finepoint will meet your needs, I just thought I would bring it to your attention in case you haven't.

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Agree on the painting issue here.
    If pressure sensitivity is a must, then forget Gateway's Finepoint Technology and look for a Wacom enabled tablet.

10. NiceIdiot

ARGGG! Curses, that is absolutely correct, Wacom enabled is a must. I had no idea that the Gateway was using a different technology. Sigh, back to the drawing board... no pun intended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.