I think UMPC is dead killed by android an ios

Discussion in 'UMPC - Ultra Mobile PC' started by r2-d2, Mar 20, 2011.

1. r2-d2

r2-d2 Pen Pal - Newbie

What do you guys think?

2. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

Netbooks helped to hide the body.

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think the UMPC never was really alive. It was a great idea, but technology wasn't ready yet, and still isn't.

The CPU was too slow or too power hungry, thus the device too fat and expensive, the OS powerful but difficult to use.

So they made a few steps back and created smartphones. A slow but power efficient CPU, a simple OS with few functions, but the device stays portable and usable.

And now, they finally try to bring back the UMPC, like Motorola Atrix, however, it's still a long way.

Any mobile OS is far from being as powerful as Windows is. I use Android and I miss the lack of proper multi-tasking (open web browser, start video streaming in the background, open a mail, search for a second, switch back to the first, switch to ICQ, switch back to mail, ..., impossible), miss the lack of useful software (word, excel, onenote, the mobile editors are still mostly just viewers)
    Any mobile processor is still too slow for normal tasks, even the power efficient ARM processors. My 1GHz HTC Desire is fast, but browsing the web just as I do on Windows is impossible. Site rendering is slow, navigating is slow, max. tab count is limited by few RAM and the slow CPU. Video playback is difficult, you have to make sure you select the right codec/player/etc. On Windows and a current x86 CPU, it just runs.

4. pgh1969pa

pgh1969pa Scribbler - Standard Member

What do I think about your statement...not much. The UMPC was all but dead before before Android or iOS were relavant. There is no cause and effect here. Netbooks, laptops, smartphones, high pricing, underpowered CPUs, no marketing, short battery life, resistive touch technology, low resolution screens, a lack inovation, and low availability are all factors in the demise of the UMPC.

5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Personally, I think it was price and maybe a little bit of public perception, as in, there wasn't any perception. Heck, oems hardly even lifted a finger to advertise the damn things.

Samsung Q1 Ultra... what a fantastic device.
    Asus R2h... Slow, bulky, but I still have one for some reason?
    Asus R50/R70... Two of the last UMPCs that never appeared.
    SONY UX... One of the best and simply far too expensive.

They then tried to re-release, calling them 'mids' instead of UMPCs. Half-hearted, lazy companies, just like the ones that are releasing Atom based Tablets now. Respect to Asus for releasing something meaty.

I'm glad that Asus and Samsung actually tried to get them out there and even if they didn't sell AT ALL, they tried. (You can get a 11000mAph battery for the R2h!)

To even suggest that iOS and android killed them, makes me laugh.

6. Karimsays

Karimsays Pen Pal - Newbie

Agree with Frank, the UMPC never really took off because it was way ahead of it's time. 3G technology was in it's infancy and not a lot of people needed to stay connected except for city execs and even then the PDA did a lot better job of it.