I think the silo scratches is solveable

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Loaf., Nov 9, 2006.

1. soda97

soda97 Pen Pal - Newbie

What I did was puting scrotch tapes around the pen
    (probably could use something else but you get the idea)
    and inserted in and out to the silo which either scrape off the inside a bit and/or loosen the hole.
    Now I could slide in and out the pen easily without any scratches and not loose enough to fall off the side.
    Hopefully it works for you guys too!!

Regards,
    soda

2. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

i kinda did the same thing, except i just found a normal pen that was roughly the same size and just shoved it in and out for a couple minutes.

3. soda97

soda97 Pen Pal - Newbie

yea that's what I first thought of
    but couldn't find a small enough pen
    =)
    since I didn't see any comments about fixing/solving method
    so I just wanna share my experience here

regards,
    soda

4. mthode

mthode Pen Pal - Newbie

so your basically just filing it down?

5. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Loaf what you did is quite interesting, a plastic pen, going in and out of the Silo, thus eroding/filing the parts that produce scratches on the stylus.

Did it work? The tape around the pen seems like one of the best ideas so far.

6. dustinin

dustinin Pen Pal - Newbie

thats clever

7. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

yeh but those 3 ribs are metal. so what he's probably done is added a very tiny coating of plastic on top of the metal. It should wear out soon n he'll be back to square one.

I just tried to file the metal with a needle file. It fixed it a lil bit, but i reckon u'd need to unscrew the bottom part of the tabby to get in there better to file all the edges that are scarping against the plastic pen. But i bet that screws the warranty or something (but i guess if u put a drop of locktite on the screws the average service tech wouldn't pick up on it ;))

8. alanpark

alanpark Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the scratching necessaily due to the metal ribs? or the quality if the stylus casing?

For instance, how easily does the pen scratch easily if you lightly scratch it with a metal object?

Do other styli (?) scratch in the R1F silo (for anyone who has tried with an after-market pen)?

Just curious

9. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a similar problem once, my tip, buy a 600 grit sanding paper (this is extra thins and is used to prepolish things). Roll it on itself until it reaches the diameter of the hole, then put it in, and rotate it inside the casing (you can also move it in and out). This will polish anything that gets in the way. The tighter and the bigger you roll the 600 sand paper, the more pressure you will put on the plolishing.

10. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I hope everyone who is sanding their pen silos is vaccuuming afterwards. I'd hate to think there were very fine particulates getting inside my tablet.