I think I've just experienced the phantom click problem

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by TheWerewolf, Jan 22, 2011.

1. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

I don't know if this is the same, but suddenly my slate starting acting as if a ghost was randomly tapping the screen, pinch zooming in and out and holding down the touch long enough to cause right clicks.

I was in IE9 at the time and it was quite the show.

I quickly slept the slate then woke it up which seems to have reset the problem. It happened three times over an hour.

I'm in the prairies right now and wearing a thick nylon 'wool' lined vest(it's cold here) and I wonder if that's causing the problem. I hadthe slate pressed right on the wool part of the vest when this started, and it's fairly dry here.

Hasn't happened again since though.

2. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

I had the same thing happen a few hours after I received my device. It went away after sleeping the device and hasn't happened since.

3. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is the N-trig digitizer doing its thing unfortunately. It's not a constant thing but it does happen from time to time and can vary in frequency based on where the device is and if it's plugged in or not.

Rick and HP are aware of this issue and are working with N-trig to hopefully resolve or at least reduce the problem.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...This is the N-trig digitizer doing its thing unfortunately...>>

...I agree. At one time, the XT had a terrible problem with this. I only suffered one serious incident when I was working next to my printer. N-trig worked several driver updates and the problem was eventually reduced to nothing more than a very occasional inconvenience. Some users, including me, never had any problems along these line after the first update, but there were one or two users who continued to report periodic problems. We were never able to pin down a precise cause, but electromagnetic interference (EMI) was high on the list; one of the users mentioned above admitted that he had a noisy fluorescent lamp that seemed connected to the problem. There was also speculation that grounding the tablet tended to reduce or fix the problem, and TW's report of possible static electrity effects is another cause that sounds perfectly reasonable.

However, since few people continued to have problems with their XTs, there was never enough information to draw any positive conclusions. Today, my XT and XT2 are trouble-free...

5. Adonis

Adonis Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally I could solve “ghost tapping” on HP slate 500. –a problem on touch screen that called phantom click or ghost tap.-

HP have not had any idea and never response about it. It seems that problem is common on some tablet PC or touch screen in windows’ devices.

If you uninstall or disable completely the driver of touch screen you lost tablet options and you should use it as laptop by using mouse and keyboard! But I found a solution that you can use it as a tablet.
    I'll write and upload the solution as soon as possible.