I think I'm just not destined to have Windows 10 on my T901

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Selofain, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Well, it's been a day and no more input weirdness, so I'm calling it. It was probably the touchpad driver interfering with my Bamboo driver. In any case, yay stable Creators Update!

Honestly, I'm impressed with the update. The battery utility works again! My battery once again stops charging at 80% and it feels good. Also, I only noticed this after I installed the original touchpad driver, but the scroll wheel works again, and I'm so chuffed to have it back. :D

The downside is that apparently, the Fujitsu button driver doesn't work, but I haven't touched those in ages, so maybe I'll try to figure it out later, but most likely not. Clip Studio Paint is all I need for a true slate experience.

@rcxAsh, honestly, the advantage of forcing the update is that you can set aside a block of time to deal with it. Also, if you don't use an ancient Bamboo tablet like me, your driver issues are halved, honestly. Most of my issues came from driver conflicts with the Bamboo driver.

I just wish the Nvidia driver issue wasn't so OS-breaking. Also, the fast boot/BIOS issue is stupid and caused me to waste half a day dealing with it.

Mostly, I just don't understand why Windows has settings (hidden in Group Policy, admittedly, but still there) to tell Windows Update not to install drivers that it completely ignores anyway.

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

I decided to take the plunge for the Creators Update and it took me a few tries to get it up and running.

At first, Windows Update always errored out. I never confirmed the reason exactly, but my guess was that it was because I was blocking the NVIDIA driver update (perhaps Windows Update would only do the Creators Update after it had completed all other available updates successfully). I begrudgingly removed the Group Policy block I had on the NVIDIA GPU that was preventing any new drivers to be installed and let Windows Update install the driver version that I knew would cause the freezing issue to arise again (of course disabling the card completely first so that I could continue using the computer).

The Creators Update installed but it would always freeze after completing the necessary reboots (I assumed it was because of the NVIDIA card again). Fortunately, Microsoft introduced some functionality to detect a failing/incomplete upgrade and after a few tries, it reverted me back to the Anniversary Update.

In the end after several attempts, I did something along the lines of the following:
    • Let Windows Update push out the new NVIDIA driver.
    • Don't install the Creators Update yet.
    • Uninstall the NVIDIA device altogether in the Device Manager and put back the Group Policy setting to prevent installation of drivers for the NVIDIA card.
    • Use pnputil to delete all traces of the NVIDIA driver from the machine.
    • Go into C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete any files there that are from the NVIDIA driver update (use a program like 7zip to open the files and see which one is the NVIDIA driver installer, can probably also tell from the file size, ~300 MB).
    • Use the Windows Update Assistant tool to do the update to the Creators Update version (rather than Windows Update).
    After this, it booted up ok (without the NVIDIA card). I then removed the Group Policy block and installed the correct working version of the NVIDIA driver and then quickly re-enabled the Group Policy block.

Now all is well on the Creators Update AFAIK!

I guess it's worth it, but I haven't looked too closely at the differences yet.

Hopefully the Fall Creators Update won't be so painful... but who knows..!

Starlight5 and Selofain like this.
  3. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Amen to that! Though hopefully, if necessary, your workaround would prevent the need to clean install if the upgrade fails yet again.

I just picked up a quad core (i7-2720QM) so hopefully that doesn't mess with my current setup. I'm looking forward to installing that sucker.

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh neat looking forward to hearing your experience with the i7-2720QM! The original T901 wasn't even offered in a quad configuration was it? I think it was only available with the i7-2620M?