I think I'm just not destined to have Windows 10 on my T901

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Selofain, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You mean like this, here's a picture of Windows 10 input panel not recognising the letter "r"
    2016-09-21 17.47.03.jpg
    none of the suggested guesses are "r".

2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Yes, like that, only with full words. Of course, I'm not using dictionary words, which frustrates the problem. The Windows 7 handwriting recognition could be trained to your quirks, and it learned from the letter-by-letter correction you did to recognize the words you wrote. It was good enough that I could scribble out a barely legible version of a non-standard word and Win7 would still recognize it. Rather than learning from the collective the way Win 10 does, Win7 learned from you, so it was truly personalized.

stormi and siddhartth like this.
  3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's what I was thinking too because, there's no way windows can learn handwriting of the user with the new type of input panel. It will keep repeating the same mistakes again and again.

Microsoft expects us to take out time to train their software seperately. Microsoft was the only one that offered letter by letter correction keyboard. I could not find keyboards which do that even in the Android market. Even myscript keyboards do not offer magnified letter by letter correction. But windows platform just has one keyboard option and that is their own.

4. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

@Selofain in all your efforts with Windows 10 on the T901 with NVS 4200M, were you ever able to get the NVS 4200M to work without freezing the machine? (And to actually run applications using the NVIDIA GPU rather than the Intel one?)

The best I could ever do was only use the integrated Intel graphics by disabling the NVIDIA software services.

It seems that there is some kind of driver/hardware issue as I actually noticed that if I upgraded my graphics drivers too far even in Windows 8.1, I would eventually get the same freeze on log-in behaviour.

I saw threads online about a different computer manufacturer whose users were having similar issues as us with a similarly-spec'd laptop, and their issues were all resolved when the manufacturer released a BIOS update. However, I don't expect Fujitsu to release any future updates for the T901.

I think I've come to a similar conclusion that I'm not destined to have Windows 10 on the T901 too...

5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

@rcxAsh, I did, actually. The key was to stop windows update from automatically updating with a broken driver. This means that you have to make sure the fresh install NEVER connects to the internet until you set it so that windows only updates manually and hide the unwanted Nvidia driver updates. Also, in my case, my hard drive was an issue as well.

I don't remember the exact steps I used, but there are lots of guides online on how to stop Windows 10 from automatically updating and how to hide driver updates. For the T901, you just have to make sure that during the install, you don't connect the wifi at all. So you'll have to make sure to download the needed programs onto a usb first.

You can still use the official Fujitsu Nvidia driver, which is enough to get it working. I haven't bothered installing a more recent driver than that.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. rcxAsh

Thanks @Selofain I tried that out and managed to get both the Intel and NVIDIA drivers from Fujitsu installed while disconnected from the internet (Intel version 9.17.10.2843 and NVIDIA 8.17.12.7680). However, while it didn't freeze, I still ran into the same issue where it doesn't seem like the NVIDIA GPU can actually be used by applications (everything defaults to the integrated Intel 3000 graphics).

The NVIDIA activity icon in the system tray is always lit up, but programs don't appear in the list of programs with GPU activity. Moreover, when I opened the NVIDIA control panel with the spinning test logo, I monitored GPU utilization with GPU-Z, and the NVS 4200M shows as 0% utilization, while the Intel 3000 goes up to 5% or so. Back in my Windows 8.1 install, doing that shows the NVS 4200M utilization go up to 5% or so instead (and the NVIDIA control panel doesn't even appear in the list of programs with GPU activity in the NVIDIA GPU Activity system tray icon ... so even though everything was installed without errors or freezing, the NVIDIA GPU itself doesn't appear to be used.

Perhaps I'll try to see if I can replicate the exact same driver versions I have in Windows 8.1 to see if that might work in Windows 10.

7. rcxAsh

Ok! I think we're onto something here. I followed your suggestion, @Selofain, to disconnect from the internet to ensure that Windows does not auto-update to the latest versions of the NVIDIA drivers. I just reconnected to post this message... and as I'm typing it looks like Windows Update is going to try to update again (even though I let it once before and rolled back the driver)... so that is one more thing I need to fix...

But, I managed to replicate the exact same driver versions I'm using on Windows 8.1 successfully, and at first glance, they are working well on Windows 10 as well. I can get a perceived response from the GPU based on GPU-Z's GPU load and also the NVIDIA system tray icon, which now actually shows that the NVIDIA Control Panel's image preview is indeed using the NVIDIA GPU. Also, adjusting the NVIDIA rendering quality settings has a visible affect on the spinning NVIDIA logo, whereas it did not before when I was using Fujitsu's drivers.

I attached a couple screenshots to show this now that I have something working, including one with the specific driver versions I have working now:

Driver Versions 2.png

NVIDIA Working.png

Selofain likes this.
  8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

That's fantastic, @rcxAsh! In case the pictures ever go down, I'm gonna note that the NVS driver is 9.18.13.3165, as I might want to update at some point.

As for Windows Update- one of the programs mentioned previously in this thread allows you to block Windows from updating any device drivers ever. On one hand, this definitely stops the broken driver update. On the other hand, all driver updates will have to be manual from now on. Which is probably the better choice anyway, since the T901's getting a bit long in the tooth and newer drivers have a higher chance of borking something.

9. rcxAsh

I'm still trying to test things out. However, it seems that not every application works as expected with this setup. I loaded a few games to try to verify that they also use the NVIDA GPU and it seems that unfortunately, not all of them load with the NVIDIA processor (even though it is specified too in the NVIDIA settings, e.g. I tried Crysis 2, which does work in Windows 8). The only game that's worked so far was a Source-based game (The Stanely Parable).

So right now, I'm not convinced I've gotten it in a 100% working state still and I may have spoken too soon. It seems that the majority of the applications I've tried that I expect to use the GPU are still using the integrated Intel graphics... (only a couple produced the desired result of using the NVIDIA GPU).

May have to try some different combinations or settings..

Edit: And in some instances, it is not stable. 2/3 times trying to run 3dmark 11 resulted in a freeze up again!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  10. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Hm, I went and tested my own Nvidia, and you're right, it doesn't work with Fujitsu's driver. I can't believe I never noticed. It took a bit of googling to find a download for the driver you used, but I did install it and yup, it works now. Well, Nox, my Android emulator, uses it as directed. I haven't tested anything else, mostly because I've yet to reinstall more resource-intensive applications.

Ugh. Windows didn't used to be this hard to use on older hardware.