I think I'm just not destined to have Windows 10 on my T901

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Selofain, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I had a lot of trouble doing the upgrade to Windows 10. It was only long after I figured out the problem (hard drive incompatibility or somesuch) that I learned that upgrading was no longer a requirement- I could have just cleaned installed and activated using my Win8 key. Would have saved me so much time, effort, and tears from having to reinstall/restore full image every time I attempted to upgrade. It took me ages. But I finally got it, then never bothered to clean install on my actual hard drive where the upgrade refused to work.

Last night, I finally swapped in my new, bigger SSD and installed Windows 10 with a freshly burned iso. THEN, I learned... that Wacom driver v7.1.12-9 didn't work. It gave me the "no supported tablet is found" error.

Which sucked because every newer version of the driver that I could find conflicted with my Bamboo tablet driver. Unfortunately, Windows 10 did not mean that the conflict went away. Actually, the Bamboo is a little buggy by itself in Windows 10, probably because its current driver was only meant for up to Windows 8.

What happens is that installing drivers v7.2 and up kills my Bamboo tablet dead. It doesn't connect at all. Reinstalling the Bamboo driver brings it back, but this, for some reason, kills my ability use the top button on my tablet pc pen. It doesn't detect it at all. I need both buttons; that's not really negotiable.

So I can have Windows 10, but I'd have to sacrifice either my Bamboo tablet or my tablet pc. And that's not something I'm willing to do. The Bamboo tablet is my mouse. I use it for navigating everything. I hate using an actual mouse, and I hate using the touchpad. But I'm not going to give up my two-button tablet pc pen experience either.

I've contacted Wacom about this, but I don't really expect much of a response other than "buy a newer Bamboo you hick yours is ancient."

In any case, I really need the space of my new drive (I don't know where it all went!), so now I have to decide- wipe and reinstall Windows 8, ruining all the work I've done with Win10 so far, or hope that Wacom is nice enough to come up with a solution so I can use both tablets.

Actually, looking at that last statement, I'm probably better off staying with Windows 8. But I really like Windows 10, even with its sucky tablet input panel, and I'd be very sad to stay with Win8. I guess I could buy a newer graphics tablet, but that seems really overkill and expensive for a mouse replacement, especially since my Bamboo is still perfectly functional.

This is mostly a rant. I've been chipping away at having Windows 10 on my T901 since last August. I'm kind of sick of the whole thing right now.

stoneseeker, kvoram and Starlight5 like this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@Selofain that's very sad. Did you try keeping default Windows driver for T901 digitizer, installing Bamboo drivers only?

3. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

The default drivers don't offer button customization, do they? The Bamboo drivers work ok by themselves, as do the tablet pc drivers, they just can't coexist. I wouldn't even bother with Wacom's drivers if I didn't need to customize my buttons. I don't think the top button even does anything until something's assigned to it, and you can't do that without Wacom drivers.

They were the only drivers I installed. I was really impressed with Windows 10, which managed to find and install drivers for everything. I tried to install a few Fujitsu-specific drivers only to be told that nah, totally not necessary.

I feel like my life might be a bit easier if I didn't hate using a mouse over using my Bamboo so much.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Windows 10 has caused me no end of irritation, and even with a lot of deep HKEY regedit hackery and other bits of nonsense, I still haven't gotten it carved into an entirely satisfactory shape.

Everything from the built-in app and content marketing, the limited user control over the GUI environment, to the might-wreck-everything mandatory MS updates and the dozens of little buggy irritations have made Windows 10 a forced march through mud.

If there were Win7 Drivers for my Dell, I'd be running a proper OS instead of this under-cooked Apple wannabe POS.

The only thing good about it is the touch interface, but being able to navigate with my fingers in an art program doesn't mean I'm a five year-old who needs everything to be shiny and crib-friendly.

stoneseeker likes this.
  5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

The most irritating thing I find about Windows 10 so far (other than the tablet input panel- I feel like half my posts are complaints about that) is the odd mess that is settings. I keep running into settings that I can't find other than by searching for it, which is baffling, because otherwise how would I know it exists?

I hadn't gotten to the hard tuning bits yet. They aren't necessary for my TPT2, as a secondary device, but are almost certainly necessary for my T901, but my navigational tools failed me. :( I guess I can shelve the problem. Win10's been activated on the T901, so I shouldn't have trouble reinstalling it in the future.

I still miss the Windows 7 tablet input panel. But not enough to go all the way back.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Starlight5

@Selofain you should follow this guide, and then only little fine tuning is required. Sadly, default Windows digitizer drivers don't offer anything at all in terms of customization; however, they work perfectly for palm rejection and touch, unlike Wacom's - on both my convertibles. I can only assume Wacom doesn't give a f. Fujitsu-hosted Windows 10 Wacom driver for T734 has broken palm rejection - it prioritises touch input over pen, what a joke; Lenovo didn't even bother to release one for X220 tablet.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Ugh, Wacom replied and claimed that a) Bamboo tablets aren't meant to work with Tablet PCs. Lying liars who lie, when it's worked perfectly fine all these years and b) that it works perfectly fine on Windows 10. Yes, that's why I can't right click Start Menu widgets with my Bamboo pen. Because it works just fine.

I can only conclude that they've deliberately made the drivers of each kind of tablet to break each other in recent years.

Actually, there are non-Wacom graphic tablets out there, aren't there? Perhaps I should consider one of those.

@Starlight5, lots of interesting things in that guide, thanks! I don't think I'll need all of it, but it's a lot of good stuff I haven't come across just by browsing.

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Starlight5

@Selofain you can obviously ignore interface customization, but all the privacy-related tricks I strongly suggest to implement; and one more tip not mentioned there - disable pagefile on all drives, with your 16GB RAM it is not only irrelevant but also harmful.

Wacom may be (actually, is!) evil, or rather extremely greedy - but at least their digitizers are supported out of the box both on Windows and Linux.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Oh, pagefile can be completely disabled now? I did reduce it in Windows 10, as I do with all my Windows, and it still gave me the usual "some programs might not work if disabled" warning. I usually cap it at 1 GB. I have absolutely no idea if any of my current programs need a pagefile. Photoshop CS6, maybe?

10. Starlight5

@Selofain it can (and should) be disabled on any Windows OS if the machine has enough memory. It is only useful for making crash dumps when the machine is unstable and one's capable of analyzing them, or when memory amount is too low. I run Photoshop (and everything else) just fine without any pagefile, it is absolutely safe. Even with decent SSD peformance, RAM is still much faster.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.