I think HP made a great 2in1 that cost less than 600$

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alisaad619, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi

like most of you I like digital pen and convertible devices ,the Surface introduced me first to this concept and made me fall in love with it , and now 3 years after the surface started the OEMs started to make better and better 2in1 devices , but for sometime the OEMs did catch up to the surface at the high end , and making craps 2in1 devices at the mid range and low end

late last year I bought the HP pavilion x2 10 for 350$ , it was kinda the best 2in1 under 400$ at that time , but that device suffered from a common issue among the midrange and low-end devices , a bad pen and bad screen aspect ratio

a year later HP come out with pavilion x2 12 , the same concept and deign as the 10 inch version but with everything fixed , it have a better screen size and ratio , a better wacom AES pen , a better core m3 cpu , and a pen that is included in the box (with the core m3 version)

now I feel like there's a great 2in1 option that I can recommend at the 600$ price point (the Surface 3 128gb cost 780$ so it's not at the same category )

for me it check all the important boxes , 3:2 aspect ratio , 12 inch screen size , wacom AES pen , light tablet (1.6 lbs ) , good 1.5mm keyboard , and all the important ports (USB-c , USB-A , micro hdmi , microSD )

the specs of the device

Operating system: Windows 10 Home.

Memory: 4 GB LPDDR3 SDRAM (onboard).

Storage: 128GB solid-state drive.

Processor: Intel Core m3-6Y30 Processor, Dual-Core (0.9 GHz up to 2.2 GHz, 4 MB cache).

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 515.

Display: 12-inch diagonal WUXGA+ IPS WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled (1920 x 1280).

Weight: 3.24 lb.

Dimensions: 11.81 inches w x 8.66 inches d x 0.75 inches h (tablet and base).

Wireless: 1x1 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth.

Product color: Natural silver.

a hands on video

unboxing video

the device link at amazon (569$)

the device at walmart (599$)

the device link at HP store (599$)

very happy about this device and OEMs taking good 2in1s to lower price points , next we want a good 2in1 that cost less than 400$

P.S , there is a 470$ atom x5 version of this device , but it look like it does not come with the pen in the box , so I think it's no-brainer to get the core m version for 100$ more you get double the ram and storage, a more powerful processor, and a pen. (Edit \ few people ordered the device and it shipped without the pen despite the fact that it's mentioned on HP website that it come in the box , and after contacting hp support they sent the pen for him , but they might not ship it for future buyers , the pen cost 59$ and is sold at HP store and bestbuy )

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    WillAdams likes this.
  2. Jorari71

Jorari71 Pen Pal - Newbie

But did you try it with the AES Wacom superstylus?. In spain HP brings a stylus which is a CRAP (I could say a SH**) and I'm thinking about importing it because Wacom still doesn't sell it for Europe.

Kind regards and thanks in advance.

Jose.

3. alisaad619

it turned out that HP doesn't include the stylus for it in the US , and the new wacom stylus maybe will work and maybe not

the HP stylus should be fine for onenote hand writing , but for art I don't know

do you think the unit you tested is defected ?

4. Jorari71

Well...It's an option. And I think that first I will advice my brother to ask a replacement of the stylus. I can't believe that HP sells this crappy stylus.

Maybe I order a stylus from the URL that you wrote here in this thread. THANK YOU!.

Jose.

5. alisaad619

can you explain the issues with the stylus HP released in your country , keep in mind that sometimes it's crappy because an app doesn't support ink that well , so it depend on the apps + hardware , try the stylus with sketchable and onenote store version , and if you can share a picture of that stylus that would help

this is the pen hp sell in the US for the pavilion x2 12 and spectre x2, but the picture is wrong , it does not have top button

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-acti...lver/4693400.p?id=1219801840144&skuId=4693400

I hate the current state of wacom AES pens , you never know what is compatible with what , it's sad

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Jorari71

The problems are that this stylus I don't know which technology is baed on but I think that is a synaptics one and presents problems of continuity drawing, lack of pressure and it's unable drawing a curve because draws segments of curves or rectilinear segments...It's horrible.

I will send you a photo when I arrive at home.

the applications tested on are: OneNote and FreshPaint. A few days ago I visit a stand in a Commerce where I could test a Surface Pro 4 with the same m3 processor and I tested both same applications and this (the N-trigger stylus of Microsoft) worked like a charm. It was awesome. It was so good that the Apple Pencil is at the same level of feeling. Unfortunatelly I could test it using MangaSutdio or Photoshop but it was the answer or what I expected to a device that costs 900€. The X2 12 can't be sold with this stylus...I would prefer that HP didn't sell this stylus...IT'S WORSE.

And thisis what I find in the Wacom store:

http://www.wacom.com/en-es/products/stylus/bamboo-smart-for-select-tablets-and-2in1

There's no one in the cart option. :( . Anyway this stylus doesn't have the X2 12 among their compatible devices, no?.

Kind regards and thanks for your answer.

7. alisaad619

got it , I think this device doesn't target art , they didn't even provide the wacom wintab driver , so most art programs will not work with hp pen , my experience with pens is for hand writing (for education) I still think the HP product is good for education but not for art , although if your art app is sketchable you can get better result with the HP pen .

but for you , for art , you should consider cube i7 (affordable option) or surface (the expensive option)

the wacom universal pen is not as universal as i though , so for now only get it if your device in the list .

the spectre x2 pen and envy note 8 pen and the pavilion x2 12 pen , are the same pen , but HP is stupid enough to put the wrong picture (the picture is for the elite x2 pen)