I solved my R1F static problem ( by cheating )

Discussion in 'Asus' started by alphaswift, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi all,

I've decided that audio out problem is more likely a design or manufacturing problem, so I did an end-run by buying a USB external sound card. For about $65, I have a small device that delivers fantastic sound.

It turns out you can buy USB sound cards that look much like a USB thumb drive. For about $20 more, you can get a playing card sized device that provides 7.1 audio if you need it.

I bought the Audio Advantage Rodeo from Turtle Beach. Product description

The device comes with all the cables you need, a little carry bag and some software. Set-up takes about two minutes. Connecting the device is dead simple. The connectors are well marked and as I mentioned, all the cables you need are there. The master volume switch controls all sound on your system.

Sound quality is very good, and the sound application is much like the default R1F Realtek application ( actually, the Turtle Beach software seems more capable ).

Anyways, if you are looking to get good sound from your laptop without having to carry around bulky hardware, check out this device.

Recommended.

Cons:
    1) I wish the USB cable was shorter...with a laptop nothing much is needed.

Pros:
    1) Small form-factor that delivers good sound for headphones, or 7.1 surround sound.
    2) Great sound
    3) Great software to configure the device

Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Roadie review

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the pix. I just might get something like this and call the whole thing "done". I'm going to be taking some classes online next semester and might need to hear audio (and I'll be at the library using headphones). A USB solution would let me do that with no problem. I think someone mentioned an even cheaper, smaller one in an earlier thread. It's probably not as good, but likely good enough for my purposes.

Ceci

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Calling it "done" was what I was after. I wasn't interested in having to send my system in for a week or two for a problem like this. I use my R1 every day -- it would have been a PITA to remove the additional memory, restore the disk ( too much confidential stuff on it now ) and box it all up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.