I need the best...

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Alola, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Alola

Alola Pen Pal - Newbie

I want to buy a tablet pc to help me with anything I might *ever* come across - now, in my last years of study and from 2008 on as a (probably self-employed) translator/interpreter as well...
    For this, I would definitely need speech and handwriting recognition (in Dutch, English, Spanish, Chinese and French, which are the languages I am currently and will be working with). As for hardware, I would emphasize the importance of battery life (as long as possible, so I might need an additional battery) and mobility - so anything beyond 15.4" is way off what I want.

In general, my tablet will have to be able to cope with what I am currently using my notebook for: watching dvd's, speech recognition (Dragon), using a lot of applications simultaneously (for example: seven times an Internet browser, three dictionaries, Dragon, Trados Translator's Workbench, WinRar, two Word documents, MSN and Skype...), playing some games (I realise that neither tablets nor notebooks are made to compete with desktops on this issue, but I think the new FlightSim (for example) should be working on 'the best tablet')... I will be using it to take notes in classes and during conferences, too.

Also, I really want to be able to install Vista on it - so it would have to be Vista capable or - even better - Vista ready... So in general, I would be - ideally - needing a tablet pc that really lasts for a lot of years! Price does not matter too much (I would not want to pay for fancy stuff I do not really need though).

However, even with all this information, there seem to be hundreds of tablets available for me when I start looking around (in fact, I have been looking around for half a year already and I do not seem to get any closer to a decision). So if anyone could come up with some proposals with regard to which brand, which processor (Intel Core 2 Duo?), which type... I might have to take a look at: please help me out!

Thanking you so much in advance...
    Hase

P.S. I think I will be buying the tablet either in a webshop or in Beijing, where I will be spending a week next January, should that matter.

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. Alola

Alola Pen Pal - Newbie

I have looked into the Toshiba M7 and it really does seem a perfect option - the only issue is the battery life... Is this extendable with an additional battery and what kind of battery would I be needing then?
    Furthermore, I was wondering what the difference is between the models below... And which would be the best! They all feature Core 2 Duo and 1 GB RAM.
    Toshiba Tecra M7-139
    4h battery - 2GHz - NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M - 14.1" (€1850)
    Toshiba Portégé M400-117
    5.2h battery - 1.66 GHz - Intel GMA 950 - 12.1" (€2005)
    - does not have Core 2 Duo, just Core Duo, but I was wondering why it is more expensive while the specs seem less spectacular than these of the M7...
    HP Compaq Tc4400
    5,5h battery - 2GHz - Intel GMA 950 - 12.1" (€2450)
    Fujitsu Siemens T4215
    7,5h battery - Intel GMA 950 - 12.1" (€1930)
    Acer TravelMate C213
    3h battery - NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 TurboCache (256MB) - 12.1" (€1730)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015