I need help with this difficult choice....

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Se7enLawliet, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Se7enLawliet

Se7enLawliet Pen Pal - Newbie

I've decided to sell off my laptop and get my first Tablet PC....

I've basically decided between:

A) Picking up a M200 for about 300-400 dollars and upgrading the ram/HD and possibly go hunt down a battery....

Or

B) Get a newer model. Sort of leaning towards the HP tx2500.

Or any other recommendations would do too.

1. What is your budget?
    Something around the 1k range

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Convert

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    10"-12"

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    USA

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    None whatsoever. Not a big fan of Apple.... but doubt that'll matter.

6. How many hours battery life do you require?
    2 would be bare minimum. 3 or 4 would be ideal.

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    Primary use -Note taking, web browsing
    Secondary - Art, photo editing, gaming (really old games though, like Starcraft)

8. Do you have an OS preference?
    Nope

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Photoshop, old games, whatever tablet art programs are around.

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    Old, old games. Like Starcraft, Diablo, Sims, etc, etc.

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
    Widescreen

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    No real preference

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    Very minimal

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    Whichever works best with handwriting.

5. Do you require Wacom, Finepoint, or N-Trig Technology?
    Wacom would be nice for art. I'll be doing mostly "sketches" so pressure sensitivity would be a real plus.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    80GB+ and 2GB+ of ram. Or at least the ability to upgrade them without too much hassle.

2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
    No

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    No

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Nothing really....

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Having it be about 3-4lbs would be great. I'm going to be carrying it around as often as I can.

Thanks a whole bunch in advance.

2. grajohnson75

grajohnson75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Let's compare the two with your FAQ (did not mean to rhyme those BTW ;))

Okay, beginning with number 6...

According to notebookreview.com (tabletpcreview.com's sister site), the M200 will get about 3-4 hours of battery life. However, you must remember that the unit reviewed was fairly new... if you decide to purchase a used model and are really concerned about battery life, you will most likely have to purchase a new battery.

Now on the TX2500 you will be looking at about 3 hours of battery life in balanced mode with the 6 cell battery. You will be able to achieve more battery life with the optional 8 cell battery but just keep in mind that the TX2500 was not designed to be an ultra-portable, power efficient machine.

Moving on to number 8...

Now I am aware that your answer was "nope" but I just wanted to let you know that the M200 was designed to run Windows XP. It can run Windows Vista which IMO is a better choice for a tablet but, there are some compatibility issues (search the forums.)

The TX2500 can run both versions of Windows but you may have a hard time finding drivers for XP if, in the future, you decide to downgrade.

Now for number 1 in screen specifics...

The M200 is not a widescreen tablet (although it has excellent screen resolution - SXGA+), while the TX2500 is (WXGA).

Next...

Both tablets have active screens and use Wacom so you have nothing to worry about... the TX2500 has a passive touch screen too which is a nice added bonus.

Next...

Both tablets approximately weigh about 4.5 lbs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just went over some of the basics but if you want more information, please feel free to read the reviews on this site.

IMO, If you are okay with the fact that the M200 utilizes older technology, then I say go for it. It will suit your purposes just fine and you will save some money :D.

Hope this helps!!

3. Se7enLawliet

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

I've heard that Windows Vista has some software that helps a lot with handwriting recognition.... and yeah.... Will XP have a lot of problem working with my handwriting?

Oh and finally.... I got to play around with a tx2500 and it had this really annoying "virtual mouse" or something. Is that like a vista feature? Can I turn it off?

Sorry if I'm asking very noobish questions.

4. grajohnson75

grajohnson75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Haha totally fine.

The handwriting recognition in Windows XP is still pretty good if you ask me and I doubt it will have any problems recognizing your handwriting. It is better in Vista no doubt but thats because Vista progressivly learns how you write and adapts to your writing habits.

The "virtual mouse" can be turned off. It's meant for fine targeting with the touch screen.

5. Se7enLawliet

I was looking into the M200 some more.... and when I did the math seems like the price difference between the two really become negligible after buying a hard drive, ram, new batterty and a warrenty....

I'd buy the tx2500 but the screen seems very dim.... Is there some way to remedy the problem? Is it really a problem to begin with?

The tx2500 does have the strongest GPU at the moment right (among tablet PCs)?

Is there a similarly priced alternative to the tx2500?

Gah! So many questions.

6. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

No, its not really a problem.. however, the screen is glossy and effectively kills any real outdoor usage.

After discounts? None. Without discounts? The Gateway c142xl, but its currently out of stock.

I wouldn't buy an M200, you can get the HP for about $700, its about twice as much, but its significantly better than the M200, even taking the relatively bad screen into account.

7. Se7enLawliet

On like ebay or something right? Because that 500 dollar coupons doesn't work anymore....