I need help. SSD + Windows Photo Viewer = sllloooooww

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by Agent 9, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I've been happily using my Tm2 (Windows 7 64 bit) with my ssd... until a while back when I noticed that Windows Photo Viewer was slow as hell for loading a image, and going to the next one (the whole program actually freezes for a few seconds, then I can go through the next 2-3 images no problem; then it freezes up again) It does not matter if I am on ATI, or Intel graphics. Also it works flawlessly when in "slideshow" mode

If I try to use a different program (like CDisplay) then I get absolutely no freezes, and I can go through them as fast as I want.
    Same is true for browsing photos in Linux (the same photos) no freeze ups or slowdowns.

The only thing I could think might be causing this is I turned off page filing entirely (though it doesn't quite make sense that that would effect this), and I'm not running any special software for my ssd (I am not aware of any such software, and my ssd has TRIM functions already; and Windows 7 is supposed to be able to work with TRIM out of the box) but maybe there is something I should be running

So have any other people seen this? and do you know why/ how to fix it?
    Also is there another easy to use program that works 100% of the time (no freezups, or outdated UI's)

PS: these are different sized images, but most are only medium sized (most are not larger 1280x800)

2. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tried to turn off the thumbnail saving function in windows?

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for responding, though it didn't help...

I forgot to mention that this only seems to happen when I pull my computer out of sleep (on a fresh boot I don't think I've ever seen this happen... but because I hardly ever reboot/ shutdown, and I am always putting it to sleep and waking it up; I am always seeing this issue)

It only acts super slow when I'm looking at photos on my ssd. Photos on a back up drive (usb, 5400rpm hdd) have zero delay. Maybe some part of windows does not load up again or something, because the full screen slideshow is not affected

4. Mrono

Mrono Scribbler - Standard Member

uninstall/reinstall the program, sounds like a glitch in the program, nothing to do with your drive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.