I need a new portable tablet pc/convertible/laptop for designing, illustrating and animating.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by TechnoBear, Apr 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechnoBear

TechnoBear Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, how are you? I’m currently looking to buy a new laptop for work, I’ll be using it for heavy duty designing, illustrating and animating in 2D and 3D, I’ll also be using it for casual gaming like Dota 2. Currently I have the Acer R7-572g, I purchased it two years ago, I’ve been waiting for Acer to refresh the R7 with updated specs but it looks like they’re discontinuing the R7 series which is a real shame because I really love my Aspire R7. Side question, does anyone know if there will be a new version of the R7? Because if Acer does plan on refreshing the R7 then I’m definitely going to buy it.

I need a new workstation mainly for designing work, I need it to be portable because I’ll be moving around a lot and I’ll be bringing it to a lot of different places on a daily basis, I need it to serve as a mobile art studio, preferably a unit that supports a stylus/pen, touch screen and where I can draw directly on the screen. What unit would you recommend? I’m situated in the Philippines so choices are limited, currently I’m looking at the Surface Pro 4, I’ve been wanting a Surface Pro ever since Microsoft announced it back in 2012, but it doesn’t have a dedicated GPU and I’m worried that the built in HD Graphics might not be able to handle 3D designing and animating, also it’s expensive here in the Philippines, the 128GB, i5, 4GB ram version costs $1200, while the new Asus ROG costs $1300 and has all the latest specs, the only problem is it isn’t touch screen and doesn’t support a stylus/pen.

I’ve also been considering the Surface Book and the Lenovo Thinkpad P40, but the problem is that they aren’t available here in the Philippines and I’ll have to order them abroad, not only will they not come with warranty and take 1 month to deliver, they’ll also cost over $2000 each which is really expensive, with that amount I can purchase both the new Asus ROG and a Wacom Cintiq 13HD.

What do you guys think I should go for? Should I purchase a high end laptop without touch capabilities and couple it with a Cintiq? Should I wait for the new Acer Aspire R7 if ever there will be one? Should I invest $2000 in the Surface Book or Thinkpad P40? Should I purchase the Surface Pro 4 at $1200? Or are there any other units you could recommend?

I’d really appreciate your feedback, thank you.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

well the old Acer R7 used earlier N-trig tech so you would feel right at home with a Surface.

Out of curiosity, which 3D programs would you be working with? If it were Z-Brush for example, that doesn't require a discrete graphics card. And the Pro 4 with the i7 option does have Iris Graphics, which isn't the same kind of horsepower a discrete graphics card would give you, but its certainly better then the HD graphics in the i5 model. As far as Wacom is concerned with their own Cintiq Companion series, Iris graphics is more then sufficient for 3D work (a debatable claim admittedly.) But the Pro 4 might well work for you.

The Book....I would love to recommend....but unless you can get it with a good local warranty, I'd advise against it since the Surface Book definitely might have issues still.

I think however the Thinkpad Yoga 14 might be the best option....provided you can obtain one of course. Wacom AES Pen (just as good if not better then the N-trig pen in the R7) and discrete graphics. Its kind of cheap stateside, but maybe you'll luck out....Lenovo products tend to be easier to find worldwide given the corporate/enterprise uses.

Pity you have so few options in the Philippines. Comparatively, across the South China Sea in Singapore, you'd be able to find virtually any tablet imaginable.

3. TechnoBear

TechnoBear Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup the old Acer R7 uses an N-trig digitizer, I really like the accuracy of the pen, in my opinion it's better than Wacom, I feel the same way, I think I'll enjoy the Surface Pro 4, I'm just concerned about the lack of a GPU.

I'll be using Maya, 3dsmax, Blender and Zbrush.

I'm currently trying to look for a Surface Book on Ebay, they have a few available that ships from abroad but the prices are pretty high at around $2000-$3000 which is way out of my budget, I don't know if it will be worth investing so much on a new unit.

I'm thinking of the P40 as well, it seems like a pretty solid device, the only problem is it isn't available here, I'll have to order it from Amazon and have it sent through courier which will cost double the price and wont come with warranty.

Yes it really is a pitty, choices here are so limited it's frustrating.

Are there any other units you could recommend?

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

P40 might not be available, but what about Thinkpad Yoga 460? It's basically P40 without the Quadro firmware tax.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...are there any other units you could recommend?..>>

...Based on some of what you've said, you might want to also consider the VAIO Z Canvas.

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

He's not gonna find that sucker in his price range. No way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.