I miss the ergonomic design experience of Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ptrkhh, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I was mostly exaggerating in reference to the fact that Sinofsky is gone, Julie Larson-Green was demoted, there are new leaders who presumably brought their own people in, and that any new UI ideas that were in 8 are gone.

Edit: And really, the sad thing is, I do love a lot of the direction Microsoft is going in these days. Office 2016 is a great update (even if only for the dark color scheme). The new Photos app is excellent. The upcoming Mail and Calendar apps updates (or maybe Outlook Mail is a separate app, we don't really know yet) look great. OneDrive cloud music? Amazing. The Xbox game streaming? Really cool. I could go on about a ton of things that I love that they're doing right now.

Unfortunately, I just pretty much hate everything that is coming from Windows itself lately. In trying to calm the noise, they're destroying what they had. I fully realize that they had to improve the desktop side of things for that crowd. On the tablet side though, they've ruined pretty much everything.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    gcoupe and HJK like this.
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Another thing I just discovered, to connect to DNLA and Miracast Devices you can use the Action Center and select Media Connect.....

upload_2015-3-21_6-50-27.png

3. jhoff80

Despite the fact it'd make a ton of sense, DLNA is not in that menu. Miracast and Bluetooth are though.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Sorry....I did mean Bluetooth Speakers....I meant to type not DNLA, but Miracast and Bluetooth.

5. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That would be very discouraging, indeed--requiring a Win10.1 for Microsoft to be listening. In contrast to it seeming as if Microsoft was becoming a responsive, consumer-centric developer, to the benefit of all (consumer and Microsoft).

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

How about making this the weekend we fix Windows 10? Can anyone think of tweaks that will keep some of the design choices that they're clearly sticking with, but that will make the system more tablet friendly?

I gave it a shot earlier in the thread, but there must be better options. A "Windows 8.1 mode" toggle? :D

HJK likes this.
  7. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I really hope that it's simply that Microsoft hasn't got around to joining up the dots here, and that this is where DLNA (Play to) devices will start showing up in a later build...

8. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I loathe and detest the Taskbar sticking its nose in when in Tablet mode. I suppose that if the Auto-hide mode was reliable, then I could live with having to deal with the Taskbar in Tablet mode. However, at this stage, Auto-hide is very flaky and completely unreliable.

I'm still not happy about Microsoft torpedoing the Charms bar in favour of Notifications bar and a Settings menu in Modern UI apps. But I think that particular ship has long since sailed...

jhoff80 likes this.
  9. jhoff80

Yeah, I hope so too. It's definitely a possibility. And I actually like this menu a lot. Bluetooth connecting and disconnecting (once paired) was terrible before, and now it's convenient.

As for ways to fix some of this stuff within the framework they're using, I don't know whether that's possible.

To attempt to do so, the first thing to do would be get rid of the left panel in start, and move all apps to be spread out through the entire start screen. Semantic zoom needs to be brought back all throughout the OS (though especially in Photos and in the Start screen).

I'd love to see the Action Center add a Start button, volume controls, a Share button, the clock, notification muting ... basically most of the Charms functionality when in tablet mode, and then the taskbar could easily go away. Or, at the very least, the system tray should be the bottom half of the Action Center in tablet mode, so that it slides in with that. Definitely don't see any of that happening though.

Speaking of the Action Center, they need to be far more consistent there. Some of the buttons are a simple on/off switch, and others take you to a menu. And I don't get at all why the Wifi flyout is separate from Action Center when the settings for Media Connect are part of Action Center.

Every media app or game needs to default to fullscreen. WinRT VLC does this when you play a video, but it should be automatic and not something that all of the abandoned apps in the Store have to implement for it to work.

Tablet mode also needs a setting to be enabled as soon as the device starts up. And it'd be really nice if the OS wasn't constantly trying to set my DPI settings back to default (every time the computer sleeps) - though I think that's a bug (I hope).

They need to fix snapping, because the behavior in 10 where I have to manually re-snap stuff when changing apps and manually (constantly) change from a 50/50 split to the actual split I want is obnoxious.

With no background suspend that I can see, I have to manually manage my applications again as well. And needing to have every app visible in task view to be running again takes away from a clean aesthetic.

Buttons and other actionable areas need to be rethought. The Windows 8 task view column worked great on a tablet because it was in reach of your thumbs. Putting that in the center of the screen is something that works well for mouse and not at all for touch. Same goes for Metro IE's controls being far better for touch as compared to the screenshots of Spartan that appear just like any other browser, with text-based tabs, and the address bar at the top of the screen, etc.

There's a bunch of small tweaks too... like scrap the new TIP, they're wasting their time there when the old one was better. Make it easier to resize and move tiles via touch. There's no reason at all to have to press and hold and then also have to tap on a small circular button to resize or unpin a tile. The text menus from press and hold in Windows 8 make much more sense.

Although this all is starting to sound again like the fix is a 'Windows 8.1 mode'. :D Though I'd modify that slightly. Windows 8.1 mode plus the ability to close desktop programs via dragging down.

JoeS likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    gcoupe and HJK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.