I miss the ergonomic design experience of Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ptrkhh, Jan 23, 2015.

1. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That doesn't sound too good .
    I'm glad I'm getting my TPT10 now with 8.1 before
    they mess things up even more.

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good god! Moan, complain, moan, rant and more. Let's see what they have planned for tablets first and then complain when Windows 10 hits the streets.

P.s. You can, you know, always just keep Windows 8.1?
    P.P.s You can NEVER complain about not being able to roll back to Windows 8.1 after installing Windows 10. This is for technical people that know what they're doing.

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can only keep Windows 8.1 until MS stops doing updates --- that's why I'm here now, my Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121 was still working fine, but Microsoft decided that Windows XP wasn't worthy of security patches, so it had to be replaced, despite still running fine.

4. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Scribbler - Standard Member

This is actually a brilliant idea!

StartIsBack is exactly the reason why W8 isn't loved by many. An OS shouldn't need an additional piece of software to be decent. I totally understand the complaint of those people. And that's what W10 is destined to fix. As an example, nobody needs a calculator app to take the entire height of a 27" monitor. That's why I use an ultrawide monitor, because W8 couldn't optimally use the vertical screen real estate. Snapping only works horizontally, it works incredibly well on my ultrawide monitor since I could snap 4 apps at once, and each of them are still usable.

The classic complaint, which I also totally understand too, is theres an incredible amount of mouse travel required just to navigate the start screen, especially for traditional laptop users (touchpad instead of mouse). That's also why I always recommend touch laptop to anyone unless they specifically want Windows 7 or OS X.

The reason for the hate is very simple. To a lot of people, especially those with traditional laptops, the metro apps and start screen are really cumbersome to use. Oh, one more thing, metro apps load REALLY slowly on 5400rpm HDD. No idea why. Ive been there, the experience was absolutely terrible.

Sadly true, even though I still prefer 8.0 over 7.

Me too, luckily I still have my old Acer W700 tablet to test W10, so I don't have to risk my SP3. Its now back on 8.1 by the way.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thanks, I thought so too! :) Fat chance of it getting implemented though, I don't see any way of getting such a niche suggestion through the feedback noise.

6. atragon

atragon Pen Pal - Newbie

fishdavis likes this.
  7. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Re: "You can . . . just keep using Windows 8.1

Yes, but if I keep using Windows 8.1 I won't be able to take advantage of the cool things like Cortana, Spartan, and having access to Windows Phone apps. I would love to use any one of these things on a tablet. But, from what I've seen, Windows 10 is not for tablets, and the gist of the OP's point seems so far to be correct; Windows tab users seem to be currently thrown under the bus for the sake of appeasing the majority of Windows users who want their Windows 7 desktop back and don't really understand why you would use Windows (and not Android or iOS) on a tablet anyway.
    Re: " . . . and then complain when Windows 10 hits the streets." Two problems: 1) at that point it could be too late, and I could be forced to choose between an awesome tablet-hybrid interface that will not run the latest tablet apps (Win 8.1) and a desktop-centric interface that will run the latest tablet apps (Win 10).
    2) The feedback process, I fear (and here I hope I am wrong) is tilted in a direction that favors individuals who are much more likely to want a desktop-centric experience. The Win 10 technical preview "insider" program is targeted, it seems to me, at professional IT types. In my experience (and maybe I'm wrong), such individuals tend to be people who don't see much of the point of having a hybrid tablet-laptop device, because what they conceive of as true productivity is way too intense for my little T100 or my wife's little M80TA to handle. When they want to do "real work," they want a powerful Mac, desktop, or ultrabook, and they have no desire to touch the screen. Such a person probably owns several mobile devices, but they are all Android or iOS, and they are not used for word processing or making spreadsheets or anything along those lines. So, I fear most "Insiders" giving feedback on Win 10 will be pushing heavily to make Windows 10 into Windows 7.1. I hope I'm wrong.

8. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My guess is that Microsoft strongly will be taking the tablet experience into account with the Win10 final version. After all, that's where Win8 was going, and even though Win10 is a bit of a (needed) corrective, Microsoft knows the direction that people have been and will continue to be going--and Microsoft wants to be the one that is there.

HJK likes this.
  9. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I intend to stick with Windows 8, on my SP3 & WP8.1 on my WP device. Windows 10 looks like a full on submission to the desktop, android and ios to the extent that they will be keeping the taskbar visible on tablets and to me there's nothing really about Windows 10 that's so essential that I'd swap the intuitive way the platforms work now for a much poorer experience.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member