I made a leather sleeve for my HP Zbook X2

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by stoneseeker, Sep 27, 2020.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Just like I made a burly leather laptop bag and sleeve for my T902, I had to make a new sleeve for my new (to me) X2. I have limited quantities of leather right now, so I made the most of it by hacking one side in to patchwork and machine stitching it to a smooth woven material lining. the back side is a solid piece of leather as well. Took me a solid long day to make it. Anyone else here get psyched to make personalized stuff for their tech? :)

constructed-interior-001.jpg material-CU.jpg finished-001.jpg Finished-002.jpg Finished-003.jpg

nyb72, thatcomicsguy, Steve B and 2 others like this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looks great, the stitching is really well done.

Hope that's a good malt next to the bag in pic 1...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. stoneseeker

Just a Laphroaig 10! ;) My whiskey collection is a little sparse these days...

4. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice!
    A while ago, I've made some cases using bookbinding techniques. They look like those leather bound bookcover style cases sold mostly for Apple products.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@stoneseeker : Very nice. Maybe you have another career developing, there...?

6. stoneseeker

ha thanks Steve! While I love leather work and sewing as a hobby, it would certainly never pay as well as my current career designing for film.
    It's really nice to have a creative outlet that is away from a screen though.

I also recently made a custom leather motorbike tail bag (transforms into a day use bag) for a friend and it was my most complicated (geometrically) leather project yet, so much fun though piecing it together first with paper maquette. I'll include a couple photos below just cause its fun...
    On the bike.jpg bag-front.jpg bag-inside.jpg bag-bottom.jpg bag-rear.jpg wearing-as-a-bag.jpg

7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So cool! Do you hand stitch or use a machine? I was going to do something like this myself but the women in my life always try to convince me I'm going to die in an accident doing these things instead of fixing up wallpaper or painting the house. :(

Now an old friend has sent me pictures of an extention to her house she built all by herself........

8. stoneseeker

lol, die from an accident stitching leather?!? Not sure how that could happen haha.
    I use a hole punch and hand stitch the huge stitches that you see binding the main pieces together, but I machine stitched the patches to the interior and machine stitched the interior sheets to the leather sheets. Used a regular sewing machine for it with decent ploy thread. All my hand stitching is done with waxed cotton leather thread.