I like turtles...

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by niicopanda, Jan 20, 2018.

1. niicopanda

niicopanda Pen Pal - Newbie

Now that that is out of the way:

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

<$400 or >$900. Preferabbly I'm staying under $400 (or $500 with upgrades), but I am willing to consider going over $1k if it makes sense. In my research it seemed like the $500-$900 level is where I'd be running into consumer oriented products. My Dell Inspiron 7568 has really turned me away from that option...

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Absolutely! But once I'm past the $500 mark I would be looking for some way to insure it. Crazy kids and all. ;)

I am totally down with the items like the t902 and x220t, I'd just like some words from those that have them on what I'm giving up from the rest of this questionnaire if I go in that direction.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Probably a convertible. I NEED a good keyboard.

If it makes sense... I don't want to but would consider doing an old laptop with an ipad pro. I'd really like to avoid that situation though.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

Above 13-inches; and the bigger the better honestly. But I am willing to consider 12" screens depending on aspect ratio.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

USA/Canada

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Big fan of Thinkpads. Brand open for the most part. I DID NOT have a good experience with my Dell. I will grant that it was more consumer oriented, but...

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

4+ would be ideal. And an external battery or similar would be nice.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Daily driver + digital painting + light-ish video editing (very light on effects, but FHD), MUST HAVE A WEBCAM.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

OSX with wacom EMR!!!

But anywhos, I need Windows out of necessity. I'd like to be running Linux for the majority of time within a virtual box.

Easy ability to hackintosh (x220t) is a plus, but not absolutely nessecary.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Daily Driver: Text editors & Browsers

Digital Painting: CSP/Sketchbook Pro/Krita, maybe the affinity series in the future.

Video Editing: Vegas

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Potentially. Not a necessity though. The majority of my games are 2D anyways, without too many shaders or computations (Jump Jet Rex, Valiant Hearts, Valdis Story...).

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

Nope

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

The higher the better. But I am willing to hear thoughts on usability for sub-FHD resolutions.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?

Nope.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?

Yes. With pressure sensitivity. I'd prefer EMR, but am open to AES (from experience) and N-Trig (from ignorance).

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

Space for a 2.5" SSD. Expandable to at least 16 gigs for memory

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

USB and some form of SD are necissities. It has to have a front facing camera.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

None.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

A good non-chiclet keyboard sure would be nice. Some solid travel. Good spring to the keys.

I'm willing to consider different mods/upgrades that I would need to install myself.

A 14" screen or bigger is appreciated but...

THANKS A TON!

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Under $500:
    • Refurbished Surface Pro 3 goes for under $500. No keyboard, perhaps get Lenovo Wireless Keyboard since it's pretty clicky. 12", 3:2, almost-WQHD. Microsoft pen, try one of the new pens if they're compatible.
    • Refurbished T904 goes for under $500. Chicklet keyboard, a little mushy. 13.3", 16:9, WQHD, Wacom EMR, the air gap between the glass and the LCD is a bit annoying. Recommended Wacom EMR "Feel IT" pens: UP-911E, Fujitsu T5000, Bamboo Feel.
    Over $1000:
    • Highly recommend the Yoga 720 15. Keyboard is clicky. 15.6", 16:9, 4K, Wacom AES. Goes on sale frequently, you might even find the entry-level models under $1000 on occasion.

3. niicopanda

Appreciate the response.

Any reason in particular I should be looking at the t904 instead of the t902? My understanding was that the t902 was the strongest of the Lifebook series in regards to power and... upgradable-ness.

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'll copy and paste a post I wrote a month back to a similar question, comparing the T902 to the T904. Your correct about CPU power and upgrade-ability, but there are other factors to consider:

"T902 has a common pen/touch issue where the touch can be spotty on some units and the pen cursor can notoriously "glitch" away from the pen from time to time and then jump back to where it was. Other than this, the only other downside to the T902 over the T904 is the resolution is slightly lower at 1600 x 900.

T904 has a more reliable touch panel, a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and I hadn't heard of the glitch happening at all, BUT its CPU is significantly slower. The top turbo speed it goes (which isn't sustained for longer than 30 seconds on average) is 2.6 ghz which is slower than the T902's BASE clock speed of 2.9 ghz (T902 can turbo go to 3.6) . If your ever working on bigger canvases or using CPU hungry applications like Art Rage, you may find this makes a pretty big difference worth considering.
    Here's an intel comparison between both processors: https://ark.intel.com/compare/75459,64893

Both of those machines perform terribly at 3D tasks as expected of older integrated solutions, but I still managed to play some games on low settings. Oh, and Zbrush performs well on the T902.

If your just doing light drawing work on not large canvases, then T904 may be the better bet if you can score it cheap, otherwise if you need the power, stick with the T902."

5. niicopanda

Makes sense. Sounds like out of the two the t902 would be my choice.

How do you like your NotePRO for initial sketches and workflow stoneseeker? I'm wondering if I should consider getting like an old m4700 (I'm hoping Dell's pro line is better than their consumer line) to finish out with a intous while doing sketching and partial iterations on the NotePRO.

Also, does anybody have experience with the initial TPY? I'm thinking I might be able to find one of those ebay for under $500, but I am not sure which is the model number I am looking for.

I've come close to pulling the trigger on a t902 but the screen size, resolution, and keyboard always stop me... Any thoughts on "real world" usage?

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I used the T902 as my primary machine for 2D animation, After Effects, Background and Character Design for 5 years full time, as long as you are willing to work within the limitations it provides, it can certainly get the job done, though there are very good machines capable of doing just as good or better now, they just cost a lot more.
    --whereas the NotePro is fine for starting some design projects, I don't know if I would recommend it for much real world work... mostly because for me an efficient workflow involves sitting down with a good keyboard shortcut device (like the Logitech G13 I use still to this day) with my left hand and utilizing the powerful tools that come with legacy software like liquify, perspective creating apps, etc. Designers do get by with IPad pro's and Note devices to do a ton of design work though so its possible you could be one of those people who loves it. My Notepro is nice, but it hasn't always impressed me.. I've lost sketches (it may be due to the fact that I install applications to my SD card) to glitches, and all the pens that work with it are pretty skinny and hard to call ergonomic for long sessions. I've been told that although smaller, the new tab S 9.7" with S Pen is a much superior Android drawing experience.
    I have no experience with the Thinkpad Yoga, sorry.
    If your comfortable using an intuos, buying an affordable used beast of a workhorse and doing a majority of your work on that is a fine option. A lot of people here would just way rather draw on the screen. I used an intuos for so many years that Cintiqs just seemed like unnecessary luxuries. Now of course I am spoiled and couldnt return to intuos for long... but I also would find it hard to return to full time on my T902, I've grown accustomed to my 22HDT and large monitor.

7. niicopanda

Man... a lot of good points wrapped up in there.

The hardware controller thing had started niggling in the back of my mind regarding the mobile OS's. I envy your G13 and make do in Sketchbook with a SNES-style game controller. Works well enough in that program but always leaves a bad taste in my mouth when trying to work in CSP.

Digital painting/ sketching is a hobby for now... Hoping to create childrens' books in the future, but the budget has to give somewhere for now. Just don't know.

But I know 16:9 on too small of a screen (and with too low of a resolution) is going to piss me off. And I NEED a decent keyboard. I've thought about going with a Cintiq knockoff,but...oi.

Decisions, decisions. The t902 ticks a lot of boxes though. May just have to spring for it and be willing to put it back on ebay in a month if it just doesn't work for me.

Thanks for all the help!