I just purchased a 2710p

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Prometheus2000, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chromdome35

Chromdome35 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been a long term lurker on this board and gained an immense amount insight into Tablet computing from all of your comments and thoughts.

I have had tablets twice in the past. Purchasing my first one when tablets first came on the market.

Tablet 1 - HP TC1000: Underpowered, crashed often. Used for 3 months before I gave up.
    Tablet 2 - Acer TravelMate C100: Used it for 2 years until it became too underpowered for my needs. Switched to a HP nc8230 widescreen laptop which I am still using.

My use case is best described as business power user. I have become a frequent flyer and my current widescreen laptop is to big to use on an airplane. While processing power is important to me, battery life and size/weight are more important.

I looked very hard at the Lenovo X61t and the HP 2710p.

Ultimently I went for the HP for the following reasons:

1) LED Screen - Power Saving
    2) ULV Processor - Power Saving
    3) Extended Battery style - Thin and Light, dosen't extend beyond the back of the Tablet.
    4) HP Docking Technology - My experiance with HP docking stations is that they work flawlessly and easily. According to what I have read on this and other forums the Lenovo seems to have some issues.

So I had our purchasing department order a 2710p with the following:

1.2ghz Core 2 Duo, 2gb RAM, 100gb HDD, Bluetooth, WXGA, No WWAN (I will get a Verizon express card), Docking Station, Slim battery, Vista Business, Office 2007 Pro, Project 2007, Visio 2007, and Mapoint 2006.

When it comes in, I will probably upgrade it to 4gb of RAM, even though Vista Business only recognizes 3gb. At my desk I'll use the docking station with an 22" Widescreen as the primary display and a Logitech Bluetooth KB and Mouse.

I'm being told it is about 14 days out. I will post my impressions when it arrives.

2. Chromdome35

Don't know how it got posted twice....please delete one of these.

3. CTSxViper

CTSxViper Pen Pal - Newbie

Congrats and looking forward to your review when you get it. :)

4. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

One thing you should note is that the 4200rpm hdd could bother you a little.
    For the most part, the ulv cpu will be fine for general business apps, the hdd might not be.
    If you got some extra dough to spit out, you might want to invest on these.
    Just make sure HP doesn't use anything propriety :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. thebranded

thebranded Pen Pal - Newbie

recieved it yet? any review?

6. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you not see his last line below??? He ordered it less than 2 days ago. Give HP a chance to build it and ship it at least!!!! :p

7. Chromdome35

I have considered upgrading the HDD, want to see how the performance is at 4200rpm and also what kind of battery life i'm getting out of the base battery and with the extended battery attached. I have considered going the SSD route but the capacity/cost ratio is still a bit high. When 100gb+ gets reasonable, then I'll consider.

I think an interesting test to do would be to benchmark it with 4200/5400/7200 rpm drives and see what the real difference in performance is by just changing that one component. I might do that just for the heck of it if I can find the time. Other than buying the drives, all I should need is a good HDD Ghosting application isn't it?

8. o-ron

o-ron Pen Pal - Newbie

does anyone know if this will work? if so, that would be just the ticket!

9. Chromdome35

I finally got my shiny new 2710p yesterday afternoon.

Specs on mine are 1.2ghz, 2gb RAM, 100gb HDD 4200rpm, Wireless, Bluetooth, No Cellular.

I've had it for just under 24 hours now my inital impressions are...

1) Its beautiful
    2) The weight is perfect
    3) The screen is great!!! At first it seemed a little washed out until I used the Intel Graphics Driver to adjust the contrast and gamma. Now the screen looks awesome with colors that are deep and saturuated.
    4) The battery life on this thing is incredible. The battery monitor says I have 5 hours with wireless on. I haven't had time yet to do a real world use test on it. I have used it for a couple of hours on battery with wireless and the lowest the battery ever got was 2 hours remaining. As soon as I finish installing applications and getting it just the way I like a PC, I will post some real world battery life results.

I left it in standby mode for 6 hours last night while I slept. According to the battery monitor it used 15 minutes of run time power. If that is indicative of the battery life, then you could extrapolate that a 5 hour runtime = 120hours of standby time. This is of course unproven.

5) Performance: I was a little concerned with a 1.2ghz core 2 duo and a 4200rpm HDD. Let me state that so far in running typical business software this thing is fast. I have yet to see any indication that performance is lacking. My maximum load has been Outlook + OneNote + Excel (5 spreadsheets open) + Adobe Reader. No slowdown at all.
    6) Wasn't loaded with any bloat/crap ware
    7) The bluetooth module paired painlessly on the first try with my Logitech MX5000 Keyboard/Mouse combo. I did not have to use the Logitech bluetooth dongle.
    9) My windows experiance score is 3.1
    10) It runs cool. I haven't noticed it getting warm.
    11) It's quiet.

A few things I don't care for:

1) The pen silo has to be watched. The pen comes out way to easy.
    2) The fingerprint reader is on the side of the lid. I keep running a finger across it when I'm holding the tablet which causes it to popup the reading software.
    3) I miss scroll/control buttons when in tablet mode.

I had a cheap 2gb SD card sitting around that I stuck into the SD Card slot. Windows said it did not meet the requirements for ready boost. I did a little research and it looks like I may need a higher speed SD card, something in the 150x range. I hope it is not bus limited.

I'm a tweaker at heart so I have done a couple of small tweaks to improve performance such as disable window animations and turn off the sidebar. I am running Aero.

At the end of the day the real question is am I happy with the tablet. The answer to that is a resounding YES.

I will post more thoughts as I go.

10. o-ron

o-ron Pen Pal - Newbie

how do you think this machine would handle creative programs - like Photoshop CS3 or Illustrator CS3?

Processor-wise, that is.

( I think the 4200rpm drive would have to be ditched...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.