I just picked up ATIV SMart PC (500T) from Staples for review purposes.

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Shogmaster, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can tell you already from dicking around the store that the inking in Journal was VERY smooth. Light years better than Sony VAIO Duo 11, even though the 500T is Atom and the Sony was Core i7. Simply, N-Trig can't compete with Wacom...

Give me some time to play around with it and make some videos for you guys. I have 2 weeks to play around with it before I return it, and I want to make it count! For instance, I plan to take it to a Sony store and try to video it side by side running Ink apps.

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well done Shog, you're the man. I really look forward to your indepth reviews as it would now determine whether I buy a clovertrail or i5 device. Really need a slim tablet.

3. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Can you run some gaming tests too? Curious to know if it can handle any of Sid Meier's civilization games. Also want to know if gaming causes the atom proc to overheat.

4. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Wow, Staples has them for $599 for the 64 GB 500T! You have to add the dock/keyboard separate but this seems like a good price!

We;ll see how your review looks but this may be a great gift for my son instead of either the Dell or the Thinkpad. Maybe Sam's Club will have them as well...

5. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

i thought about picking one up today from Office depot.
    I really want some I can use at work and at home. at work, we are VDI, so I can use any device for access.
    But I love to use Sketchbook, artrage, PS, and zbrush. I run all just fine on my series 7 slate, (yeah, I know it's a decent pc).
    I'm seriously considering the atom based hybrids... due to battery life mainly, I do grow tired to always needing to charge my slate, (i guess, my ipad has spoiled me with the whole battery life thing!!)
    Please let me know about SKB and PS, how well does it run???
    I know zbrush may be a long shot, but what the hell, right?

6. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Can't wait for the review.

7. Shogmaster

I'm going to concentrate on art only in my review. I don't even have a Steam account. Sorry.

One problem already: No Win Tab driver available! Penabled driver from Wacom don't work. I'm hoping Samsung gets on the ball in the next 14 days before I have to return this thing and upload a driver for the Wacom digitizer.

I do have Sketchbook Pro 6 going, and it's very fast and smooth. Hard to tell the difference between this and my T902, with a 3400x2200 canvas when using default pencils.

EDIT:

Interesting finding already: Sketchbook Pro 6 (running in desktop) and Sketchbook Express (running in Metro) have wildly different brush quality on the same machine! Seems like Express is using the simplified brush engine from Android build (or more correctly, Sketchbook Express is port of the Android version). Funny that it does support pressure sensitivity, even though there are no RT tablets with pressure sensitive pen...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  8. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

These are consistent with pen performance and inking with OneNote MX on Metro and the full OneNote on the desktop as reported on all the preview editions of Win 8 tried across a large number of devices....it's a feature (scratching my head)....

9. anteatereater

anteatereater Scribbler - Standard Member

It's not even Halloween yet and you're already giving us an Xmas present! Thanks!

10. Shogmaster

My guess is that Metro apps are targeting something like Tegra 3 as a baseline and would have to pare down to meet the processing power of ARM SOCs.

11. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I guess that, unless N-trig issues a meaningful driver update, artists should stick with Wacom.

Shog, when you get some time, please head to the WPrime thread and submit your Ativ's score.

12. Shogmaster

I will get to WInPrime for you later. First, I gotta figure out how to get WinTab driver on this thing somehow... But tomorrow, I will take this to Sony store and try to do a comparison video running Journal and Sketchbook Pro 6.

As for WEI, here are the results:

Proc : 3.4
    Memory : 4.7
    Graphics: 3.7
    Gaming Graphics: 3.2
    Primary Hard Disc: 5.8

Keep in mind it's from 1.0 to 9.9 now.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  13. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member

How is the device balanced, does the tablet tend to fall backwards? I think it lacks a battery in the keyboard, is that correct? Thanks.

14. Selofain

Selofain Professional Lurker

If this thing can run Photoshop without lag, it's my next machine.

(This or the TPT2, they're nearly the same.)

Edit: Does the default pen come with two side buttons?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  15. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

Congrats on finding one. I drove around Houston today but couldn't locate one. Have you held a Surface or a Slate 7 before? If so, can you comment on how it feels to hold the Ativ 5 vs. the old slate and the Surface? I have a slate 7 but it's kind of awkward to hold in tablet mode due to the extra wide display. I'm assuming it may be the same case with the Ativ 5 since it has the same screen size. The surface felt pretty good to hold but it was a little bit thicker than I expected it to be.

16. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

I was playing around with a demo set on the ATIV Smart PC (Atom) at a Staples store. Overall pretty ok experience, but some thing were really bad.

In the desktop mode, I opened a PDF file (it has text and graphics), scrolling through the page was simply LAGGY. However, when I saved it to disk and opened it again using the default reader (I think it's some metro app), the performance was acceptable. It's very disappointing to see difference in performance between Metro and x86 apps...

I can confirm that inking in journal was smooth... the display set had no stylus so I used my finger, there was no lag. But journal itself is a pretty light software. Unfortunately, the display set had no MS office. I would really like to see how the Atom performs on Onenote, as my old Fujitsu T2010 would lag slightly when doing heavy inking in Onenote.

17. Orion9282

Orion9282 Pen Pal - Newbie

I also picked one of these up at staples, mainly for art purposes. I can confirm a couple things. Photoshop works, and is not laggy on at least a 8.5x11 150dpi document with a few layers. Yes! The bad news, no pressure sensitivity! What gives?

I tried to download the tablet pc drivers from wacom, but the driver couldnt find a supported tablet on the system. I contacted wacom, we'll see.

If anyone has ideas, please share.

18. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

19. maximus52

maximus52 Pen Pal - Newbie

Try going to this site:
    Support for XE700T1C

Click software on the left hand side of the screen then grab the SW update.
    I've read people who had issues with the pressure sensitivity fixed their problem (on other tablets) by downloading the SW update, apparently there is a digitizer file in there. This is the official Samsung driver page for the Ativ pro, so similar model.

Would be interested in you testing out how well it handles drawing/painting in a larger 11''x17'' 300dpi several layered PSD file.

20. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I read an article from a foreign site that mentioned extra battery too. My thought was "they are probably mistaken". But now that you guys have mentioned the Samsung numbers, I guess that the keyboard-dock does have a battery. That's a big plus.