I got my Adobe CS5.5 Apps back: Windows 10 4K screen

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Apr 20, 2019.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mac screengrab 01.jpg

The MacBook Pro Retina screen (2560 x 1600) grab comes out at 144dpi - 50.8cm x 31.75cm. Original jpg size 1.4mb
    The edited image (all I did was reduce file size to fit the 1mb maximum) is what you see above.
    Looking at the CS6 Photoshop interface on a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina, similar but slightly better UI text pixellation. Screen zoom set to 16.67%.

2. doobiedoobiedum

Have had a bit more time to play with older Photoshop on the 4K screen and although (to me) it's very useable, Adobe cursors and icons (lasso / magic wand etc) are still microscopic on screen.

Does that mean they don't work?
    No, but I know some people like to use a cross hair icon instead of a tool icon and one of those people is me. In CS5 / CS5.5 I have switched my tool icons to "precise" and I just see a dot where I am about to put the stylus down. (Apple Pencil doesn't even give you that dot / icon and many people can still make professional art / design work without a cursor.)

3. doobiedoobiedum

Hmm Adobe have doubled subscription price for a single app in the US - from $10 to $19.99

Professional studios will write this off to tax but I think some other users will start looking at their older versions or software rivals. Ironic when you consider Adobe aggressively entered markets with apps like inDesign to try and kill off Quark and is doing the same with XD now.

I've never liked indesign - it's always been an inferior copy of Quark but my employer went for free opposed to £800 every two years for Quark.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Huh. I remember getting an email from Adobe about something or other regarding my subscription. I didn't read it closely enough to see that the prices had doubled. Glad you chimed in!

I've had similar things happen with my Bell internet service; you neglect to read their (deliberately monotonous monthly mailings?) and one day you wonder why your wallet is hurting more than usual, and look in shock to realize that you're been paying 1000% more than what you signed up for in the beginning. (Shoot. It was actually 1000%. I started with a $19 "naked" DSL no bells or whistles connection and when I canceled it four years later, it was pushing $200 a month! Da Bah-Stahds!)

So CS 5 works, eh?

I had trouble getting it to even start let alone run under Windows 10. I might be revisiting that.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

Wow, that's daylight robbery! There shouldn't be simple consent by default when prices double or get to 100x higher than you started. Companies should be asked to get a verbal agreement or new communication explicitly saying "yes, I agree to the new much higher prices."

Yeah, my zbook came with a newer version of Windows 10 so Microsoft must have done something in the coding to let it install and work. (It didn't install on an older machine with an older version of Win 100)

I know the previous posters poo-pooed my running CS5.5 and on a 4K screen but hey, I don't fancy paying $240 a year and never owning the software.
    I didn't install inDesign but Flash / Illustrator work perfectly - only Photoshop shows microscopic tool cursors which I turned off anyway. It works fine for me.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hey, Doobie!

I finally tried CS 5 again, and it loaded!

Problem is.., it's having a weird time with the stylus. Mouse works fine, but whenever I go in with the pen, it freezes for five seconds or so.

Do you have any special tricks you used to get it up and running properly?