I got my Adobe CS5.5 Apps back: Windows 10 4K screen

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Apr 20, 2019.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is probably old news now for most users here but I can now run my older version of Adobe apps again. Couldn't believe it when Photoshop and Flash CS5.5 opened with properly scaled UI this morning. Hope it helps someone who felt they'd lost their expensive older software purchases when Windows 10 came out.

I just used the exact same scale percentage (150%) as the tutorial maker used. Apparently this scaling problem even affected more recent versions of Adobe software like 2014 / 2015 CC installations.

2. Dwig

Dwig Pen Pal - Newbie

I've found that my Ps/CS4 doesn't display well (clipped text fields in the UI, unusably munged cursors, ...) when my Surface Go (Win10/1809) is set to the "recommended" (by MS in the Settings dropdown) 150%. This happens anytime the internal display is set to other than 100% even when Ps is used on a second display (1920x1080) that is set to 100%. When both the internal and external are set to 100% Ps displays correctly.

3. doobiedoobiedum

The Surface Go has 217ppi resolution so the workaround I posted may not work. There is another solution which involves writing into registry but tread lightly with that one.

Positive thing is that older versions of CS just wouldn't install on windows 10 for a few years but now they can be installed and in some regards almost work perfectly.

4. Dwig

Dwig Pen Pal - Newbie

True, the detail of your workaround doesn't work, but the general issue and nature of the "fix" does: a particular device's/display's defaults or "recommended" scaling may fail with apps like Ps that create their own UI elements instead of using the standard OS supplied ones.

5. dumbo

dumbo Pen Pal - Newbie

Defeats the purpose of spending money on 4k monitor. Look at the before and after timeline and bottom left hand corner window. You have to scroll more. Perfect solution would be if timeline length stays same but text becomes larger.

Azzart likes this.
  6. doobiedoobiedum

If you're doing some artwork, it makes sense not to pay £238.42 a year. For drawing and a lot of other artwork, you don't want Photoshop anyway but they don't do some of the heavy lifting work even older versions till do easily.

7. dumbo

dumbo Pen Pal - Newbie

I understand but then stay with 2560 x 1600 etc monitors. I myself am on CS6 Master collection. The idea of paying Adobe $600-700 every year for life really puts me off moving to 4k monitor and Cintiq Pro. Currently I don't see any future option apart from gettign on CC crack/cocaine!!! I am putting it off as much as I can for now.

I had decided to order 32" 4k monitor + Cintiq 24" + RTX2070 + Adobe CC (40% discount for 1st year) but at the last moment I changed my mind. I can use my current setup for another 1-2 years I think.
    It really is tough situation for freelancers like me, one year I can swim in money next year I can drown in bills lol
    I really HATE Adobe!!!!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  8. doobiedoobiedum

To help me understand, I will take a screen grab of Adobe's CS5.5 interface on my 4K tablet screen tonight (I'll also put the timeline panel tab on) and hopefully you can post an image from what you are seeing so I can understand better your concern.

All I can say is that I'm actually finding the workaround has worked for me on my zbook screen.

9. Dwig

Dwig Pen Pal - Newbie

Not necessarily. This would be true if, and only if, the sole purpose of purchasing the display was to run the older Adobe CS5.x apps now and forever.

If you plan to replace the older CS apps in the reasonably near future or if switching the display scaling (an easy task) when switching between uses (e.g. switching from "creating images" to "surfing and watching videos") then the workaround is very reasonable, allowing you to use your old apps and to enjoy the highter resolution with apps where is works well.

10. doobiedoobiedum

OK, same file two different laptop screens. I had to shrink image size to meet website upload limits

pc screengrab 01.jpg

Image 1 on HP zbook 4K screen - unedited original Windows screengrab came out at 72dpi - 135.45cm x 76.19. Original jpg size 1.9mb
    The edited image (all I did was reduce file size to fit the 1mb maximum) is what you see above.
    Photoshop interface - only thing I notice is the UI text looks slightly pixellated however the image looks very similar if not the same when set at the same Photoshop on-screen zoom 16%.