I can't get the Pen to work on the touchtablet

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by nocivo, Jul 1, 2011.

1. harald

harald Pen Pal - Newbie

to check your hardware, go and grab the last version of ubuntu.
    I just tried it and the stylus worked out of the box with the live cd.

2. nocivo

nocivo Pen Pal - Newbie

@ coldpenguin
    I haven't registered with Asus, I would think that you would be able to download the same drivers from their website? Might give it a go though!

Thanks Harald, I am downloading ubuntu now...I'll let you know how it goes... :) btw. any chance you looked at my linkedin profile?! lol

Also. I've heard from Asus UK support and they won't process the slate here in the UK unless I am paying them to do so, however It shouldn't cost me a dime to send it back to the U.S. The also confirmed that they only got revision 4 recovery dvd's available. So unfortunately I can't hold of a earlier recovery dvd through Asus UK.

Best,
    Micha

3. nocivo

nocivo Pen Pal - Newbie

Today when I came home and downloaded ubuntu, flicked the slate on to give it a go. I didn't get that far because the screen is almost pitch black (extremely dimmed) wtf !!! I read in one of the other threads someone having the same problem ...
    I rebooted a few times and nothing changed at all, not in windows or in dos ( when trying to reinstall windows or a fresh copy of ubuntu).

I can't be asked to fiddle more with this unit, its going back to Amazon ASAP!

A massive thanks everyone though for your help and ideas!

Best,
    Micha

4. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

Yesterday I tried to recreate the problem on my tablet.
    I got a similar error using the 7.0.1-8 file from the wacom website.
    However using the 7.0.2 from the asus site, installed over the 7.0.1 then it worked again immediately after a reboot. One curious thing, unlike other devices from wacom, this did require a reboot for activation.

5. DavidJ

DavidJ Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello I realize this thread is over a year old. However, I have the exact same problem as nocivo described. Identical to how he described it. I found a couple of other mentions of the problem on the web but no fixes. I'm hoping it isn't a hardware issue as I bought it online and I don't want to mail it away already. I've tried uninstalling the drivers several times to let Windows install the default driver but it will never install a pen driver. No wacom driver ever installs. No pen interface or control panel ever installs. Touch only. On the system screen where it is supposed to say something about pen and touch input mine only says touch input with 2 touch points, no mention of pen. My system is new and I have never had the pen working. I unboxed it. I started it up and went through the initialization using touch. Then I ran windows update and let it do everything it wanted. When I finished all that and I started trying it out I found out the pen didn't work. I never tested the pen at any point before that so I cannot say if it worked initially or if it was never there. So has anyone every encountered this error and fixed it or do I have to send it away?

6. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

If it is new... then return it...as the connector may be loose or the usb port is dead, the sensor is dead.. It does not sound like it is your pen..

7. DavidJ

DavidJ Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you. I was worried that would be the answer.

8. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

This is an ancient thread, but I had this problem the other day, and it still shows up on google searches. Since it doesn't have any solutions and I solved it, might as well put it up for posterity.

It is a hardware problem, but in my case, it was just a loose cable. I'll show you which one. Pop the back off--if you've never opened this model before, mind the thermal cable near the USB ports.

DSC00423.jpg DSC00424.jpg
    And there's the one that was loose! Push it in and you should have pen.

nnthemperor likes this.