I Can't Believe the Blatant Lie That HP Customer Service Just Told Me!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Illustrator76, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Illustrator76

Illustrator76 I Draw Pictures

To make a long story/conversation short, I recently ordered an HP ZBook x2 G4 Mobile Workstation. Originally I went with the dual-core machine, but after receiving the ZBook and doing some more thinking, I decided that the quad-core machine would be a better choice. Rather than doing an exchange (for speed/time purposes) I decided to order a new machine and return the original one. After chatting with HP customer service to set up the return for the old machine, they told me that I would have to pay a restocking fee. Seeing as though I JUST received the machine AND that I had already ordered a new one, I tried to get HP to waive the restocking fee for the return because they weren't "losing" my business. That's when I was told one of the most blatant of lies that I have ever heard in my life, not once, but twice by two different people.

The customer service rep stated that HP had to charge me a restocking fee to offset the manufacturing costs because they DO NOT SELL REFURBISHED COMPUTERS AND THAT ALL RETURNED COMPUTERS ARE SENT BACK TO THE HP WAREHOUSE AND DESTROYED. WHAT?!?!? I could not believe what I was just told. At that point I got way more upset about the blatant lie than the restocking fee. I copied and pasted a link to the HP Outlet where refurbished/open box machines are clearly being sold at a discount, and I asked for an explanation while also questioning why HP would "destroy" a $2000+ machine in exchange for a much smaller restocking fee. After getting no direct reply from the rep, I was then transferred to a Floor Supervisor who proceeded to back up said lie numerous times to justify the restocking fee.

At the end of the day they refused to refund my restocking fee, and that part is what it is. My bigger concern is the fact that HP would lie to it's customers in such a blatant and unbelievable way. That doesn't give me much faith in their brand as a whole, and it seriously has me considering returning the new ZBook I get (even though I LOVE the machine) for fear that HP may do me dirty later on down the line if something goes wrong.

If it was only one person that told me this blatant lie that would be one thing, but for the Floor Supervisor to join the conversation and completely cosign said lie really has me wondering if I will ever shop with HP again.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow. Was this a chat? Do you have a transcript saved? This is the kind of thing that should be sent on to higher ups. They really need to train their reps better.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just curious but did you approach CS from the consumer channel or business channel?

This is my experience with Dell, but typically business service hours are more restricted, but you get vastly more knowledgeable staff, who are more effective and better trained in operations. They will get to the point straight, while consumer reps will send you in circles and/or just give flat-out wrong information, as you unfortunately experienced.

If you run your own freelance company or do contract work for company who has ordered from HP, I highly suggest you create an HP Business Support account and use the business phone contact: 866-625-0242.

4. Illustrator76

Yes it was a chat. I tried to copy the transcript using the button in their chat, but it kept saying that "My browser settings will not allow copy and paste" which I have never seen before. I did however save the chat reference number AND the name of the Floor Supervisor that I chatted with in case I decide to take this further.

This was probably from the consumer channel because it was via chat. And I will definitely note your suggestion of creating a business support account in the future. At this point I'm still very iffy on doing business with HP again. Had the Floor Supervisor come along and corrected the original person I spoke with I wouldn't have been as upset, but he fact that she cosigned exactly what the original person said gives me cause for great concern.

Maybe I will give the business department a try today, but the return has already been processed and all that, so I don't even know if it's worth it at this point.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  5. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Was your purchase in the UK and via mail order? If so there are consumer laws which allow for the return of goods under the distance selling laws. Assuming that you meet the criteria that allows you to pursue that course of action.

6. Illustrator76

No it was in the United States. The return wasn't the issue, I was trying to get them to waive the restocking fee and then the blatant lies began. That became more of an issue than anything to be honest with you.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

This may be too little too late, but your X2 should have come with a card with a contact telephone number for HP's business division. It's too late at night for me to look for it now, but I can find it in the morning...