I believe this thing is going back to HP...

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by lucynt, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucynt

lucynt Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had it for a week and a half, and it's pretty much met all expectations. The problem is me. And I think this is a problem that will continue in the tablet space for any of my persuasion. I'm a lefty. Given our training from birth to write from left to right, we have nowhere to rest our hand when writing on tablets. It's ok for small durations, but not really sustainable for grad school classes as I've attempted.

Oh well.

2. Ultimoose

Ultimoose Scribbler - Standard Member

It might seem odd but what about getting a piece of 1" hard foam cut in an L shape around the upper left corner for tablet writing purposes? I assume you mean your curling your left arm around and down and writing from the top left of the words?

3. GiOakJoe

GiOakJoe Pen Pal - Newbie

I kinda get where you are going I am left handed to and its hard to show right handed people the minor things in life that suck for us. I have to say that writing documents by pen sucks but I find that i dont do that much on a tablet I ether draw or take quick notes not really on the left hand on the screen but more so in the middle and when I want to take alot of notes or make a big doc I use onscreen keybored or the real keybored.

4. lucynt

lucynt Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I prefer the keyboard for text notes, but my major requires constant drawing and formulas, so that's why I attempted a tablet in the first place. I'm using OneNote and it is a nice fit, but it's just annoying to not be able to rest your hand easily.

5. joshb3

joshb3 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure what you mean by resting the hand (I'm a righty), but if it has to do with the screen detecting your hand then you can easily disable touch sensitivity while writing. They also make gloves that you can wear that prevent this. I've noticed that when I take notes with the TM2T, it's more accurate if I hold the pen straight up and down instead of holding it at an angle like I normally would.

6. lucynt

lucynt Pen Pal - Newbie

What I mean is that those of us who write left-handed are left to rest our our hand in thin air, nothing. It's a pain with spiral notebooks; it's a pain w/ anything but a keyboard. If I could figure how how to take notes on a keyboard and just use a Wacom Bamboo or something for the formulas, that'd be nice.

7. GandhiM

GandhiM Pen Pal - Newbie

I think understand what your problem is, but wouldn't it just be an issue when writing at the LH edge of the screen (similar to when a RH person writes at the RH edge?).

Have you tried taking notes in a landscape layout, and pushing the application window to the right some, to give you room? You'll have to scroll more, but it might be a decent trade off. I don't see any tablet device really being much better.

It's really an issue with out system of writing, not the device itself, unless it was thinner than 0.5" or so, I'm guessing. Maybe look into slate type tablets instead of convertibles?

8. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Left here, and I've never had that problem with having to rest my hand. This is my 2nd tablet, no difference really. The problems I've had is how UI's have scroll bars on the right of the screen (with touch this isn't a problem for me anymore). Palm detection allows us lefties to rest the side of our hands on the screen, so I'm not sure why you're having to hold it in the air instead of just resting the hand on the screen? Even when you get to the edge, the bezel is pretty thick.

9. sidetracked

sidetracked Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Lucynt, I feel you, having been left handed for ove 1/2 a century. :)
    However, I am trying to understand what you're saying. I always rest my hand directly on the screen in Onenote, it is one of the reasons I love the tablet, virtual ink does not smear across my little finger or the paper, like real ink. Actually I am writing this now with the stylus and the handwriting input panel and my hand is resting directly on the screen.
    As an aside, this may sound strange, but the reason I am handwriting this post instead of typing right now, is because it is so cold in here that the screen feels warm under my hand and my other hand is under the tablet to keep warm, cant do that with typing.

10. niranjan162

niranjan162 Pen Pal - Newbie

i dont get this either i use usually use the tablet for writing with the battery hump by my left hand. Why not just use the tablet with the battery hump towards your right hand and it seemed as you moved across the page you would have the screen to rest your hand on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.