I almost bought a T4220, then...

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by phuthanvinh, Oct 26, 2007.

1. the_charles

the_charles Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone,

I need some advice. I really want a t4220 from Fujitsu, so I went to a local Fry's store and was going to play around with it, hold it, and look it over before purchasing.

So, i get at the store and finally find it laying on the table with it's lid up (and sideways). I looked as though someone had dropped it and maybe thrown it by it's tablet section. So, I looked around for an employee to help me asnwer some questions, but no one was found.

So, I took a look at this one in front of me. It had no battery pack, no pen, and it was really light/cheap feeling. It was also somehow locked and when I tried to use the touchpad, the calibration was WAY off! So now to my question:

After looking at this machine, with no battery and pen and the calibration being off of the touchpad, why should I buy this? :eek:

It felt really cheap. It felt small. The looks were horrendous (but I know this is a display model)! The laptop was also tethered to the table, so not TOO much damage could have occured...and this thing was in bad, bad shape!

I guess what I'm looking here for is some encouragement that this machine is really top-notch as the reviews say. I REALLY want to buy one based off all the reviews and the user comments, but after seeing the display model, it felt really cheap. Any thought?

Thanks!

-the charles
    http://www.thecharlesgallery.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

I've noticed calibration is almost always off on display models (gateway, sony, samsung). I usually callibrate them myself (always takes a few minutes to find the setting... never can remember which of several possible logical settings applets is the right one). Wish I had a Fry's locally.

3. the_charles

the_charles Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, yes. I do understand that almost always calibration on a display model is off, but what about the "cheap" feeling. I really hate to buy a tablet that "feels" cheap.

When you get the battery inside it and get the pen/touchpad working, does it feel not so "cheap?" I'm basically asking if I should go try it out again b/c maybe I had a bad experience. Unfortunately, Fry's is the only store that I know of that actually has a display model out on the shelves. Are there any other stores that have these models on display?

Thanks!

-the charles
    http://www.thecharlesgallery.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, my T4210 certainly doesn't feel like it's made of steel, but it feels sturdy enough and I've abused it quite a bit - still looks great and works like a horse. I have no complaints.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've said this often enough....
    My T4210 (same chassis as the T4220) most certainly takes a lot of knocks.

It's the only Tablet (although I have four T4210's) that i trust flopping around in a 4x4 whilst bouncing around in a field.

6. Legato86

Legato86 Pen Pal - Newbie

I can assure you, the T4220 is a very good tablet. I think you just got shafted at Fry's. All of my calibrations are spot on. Granted, I don't use my touchpad alot but it is accurate (I mean I use my pen more often, it's a tablet after all).

I don't quite get what you mean by light/cheap feeling. The T4220 is a solid machine. Everybody on the forum will vouch for fujitsu's quality in construction. I can sort of see why you see why you would think it is light, especially when the battery pack was taken out. I'm going to guess that there was no optical in the floor model too. The thing is that light doesn't mean cheap. It is made primarily out of plastic, so ofcourse there's going to be some flex in the casing. As far as I know, most tablets are made of plastic casing other than the hp 2710p.

Most tablets are in the standard 12.1" screen size. You won't find many other tablets that are larger unless you are going commercial. ASUS makes a 13.3" tablet and Gateway has a 14" I believe. The gateway is something like 7 or 8 lbs and the ASUS has really bad battery issues (check this out for yourself in their respective forums).

I am positive that the floor model you encountered was in very bad shape and abused. I don't think if you bought this machine you would mistreat it and you will more likely baby it like the rest of us.

You have no reason to believe in my opinion but I want to tell you how happy I am with my T4220. I use it day in and day out for university. The battery lasts me for about 5 hours on super optimized conditions. I think the machine looks awesome. All black gives a business look but I mean how original can you get with an all black casing. When everything is in place and fresh/new, it certainly doesn't feel cheap or flimsy. I hope you can somehow change your mind or give it a second chance.

7. bearfox

bearfox Pen Pal - Newbie

Legato86:

Would you share your "optimized conditions" and OS version so that others can try to replicate your battery life tweaks?

8. Legato86

Legato86 Pen Pal - Newbie

HAHA, my optimized conditions are of interested to you, eh bearfox? I am on vista business like every other T4220 out there.

There's a really easy explanation to why I get 5 and a snip of hours of battery life on my T4220: every setting is on LOW.

I just went to tweak the power saver option vista already preset and simply turned everything to the lowest setting. I set the screen brightness to about 20%, sure, it's barely visible, but I can make due with it because I need to. If the room is too brightly lit, then I'll have to bump up the brightness, but by the end of the day, I have enough battery to last me 4 solid hours of lectures. I also constantly look at my battery life meter to check on the percentage left. If I notice a sharp drop in percentage, I check my task manager to see if something is sucking CPU power. I usually end up disabling the program that is sucking the life out of my battery. I've also disabled useless startup programs in msconfig to reduce load time.

You sound so surprised to my claim of 5 hours of battery life. Don't you all get something in that range on your main?

9. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

The T series is of great quality. At my old job we sold and repaired them and one day a man walked in with a T4020 that he had "accidentally" ran over with his car. The laptop was in case by itself and the car was a smaller sports car but the computer still was working. The screen was broken of course but the rest of the laptop still functioned properly. This "accident" showed me the great quality and craftsmanship of Fujitsu.

10. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Had a similar incident... was involved in a minor traffic accident, my unpadded Crumpler messenger bag fell from about chest height with the T4210 inside. Unfortunately for me, the AC adapter 3-pin plug was facing the screen... The LCD screen cracked, unsurprisingly, but the laptop still worked fine when I got back. Definitely quality craftsmanship.

I've since replaced the LCD, and bought a Kensington Cargo Messenger to replace the Crumpler =)