Huion's Kamvas Pro 13

Discussion in 'Artists' started by AvalonX, Aug 29, 2018.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Final update on the 13 - I brought home the Wacom intuos pen for comparison and I found the the weight and general proportions are the same as the Kamvas Pro pen. I got into the driver settings and the latency I saw in my first 10 minutes of playing was much improved to the point I just don't worry about it.
    Wobble - none seen, I tried everything with the MacBook, rulers diagonal lines, zooming in with Photoshop and Medibang but I couldn't reproduce what Brad Colbow saw in his video.

Build quality - amazing - especially the screen and other bits. The only thing I find difficult is the weight of the pen but the Dell Canvas pen has spoiled me. The screen itself feels great to draw on - the treated surface slightly dulls colours as any etching or other process would but it's a lovely surface to draw on.

Finally on the positive and this MAY point out the lack of wobble is the Mac offered me two screen settings for the Pro 13 and the one I chose seemed to try and imitate an even higher res screen. Text, Photoshop icons etc all shrunk down but very visible - this may explain lack of wobble BUT I did zoom into the areas where I had drawn slow diagonal lines and there wasn't any huge difference. Wobble wasn't a huge factor.

OK, the negative... I have a huge collection of empty A4 sketchbooks that I have either bought or more latterly been donated. It's just not a size I enjoy working at and the Pro 13 screen size unfortunately (for me) sits in that size bracket but with a slice cut off to make the proportion landscape. I just draw bigger, I love A3 paper, I also love working at A2 - these are my natural size. Put the same Huion technology and improvements found in the Kamvas Pro 13 into a 15.6 screen and you'd have to prise the tablet out of my "cold dead hands."

So, knowing that the moment Huion release an improved 15.6 I would buy it and the 13 would sit collecting dust. I'm still in the returns window so sadly, it's going back.

For anyone who works fine at the 13 size, I can't see enough faults to not recommend this tablet. For the price, it's outstanding.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

13" 1080p is not a serious size for illustrators. Computer GUIs and screen shapes make much of that space useless anyway for actual drawing; you can't draw near the edge as you can with a sheet of paper and you can't do without control icon pallets.

Rant:

I got a pen with my Samsung Android POS crappy little tablet joke. (A Galaxy Tab s3). It's very high tech, but utterly useless as any kind of tool. All it's good for is videos and serving dopamine hit addiction. Drawing on the 9.7" screen is a non-starter for anything more than casual sketches which aren't any fun to do since there's nothing to hold on to which doesn't also activate the screen.

Media consumption tablets are a joke for creatives.

/Rant

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  3. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Despite all the hell I've gone through to get my XP-Pen 15.6 up and running, I have to say it really is the Goldilox of sizes. I found at 22" I only drew at the center and even with the trouble I had to get a working one I do like it way better than the 13" Cintiq Hybrid.

It honestly depends on what you need as a tool. The S3 has literally saved my buns on more than one occasion and the EMR is so good I end up going back to it despite the size compared to the AES pen on the Yoga 14. My sole income is art commissions due to a fun bag of chronic health issues and the S3 is small enough it can be held laying down easily without hand pain and cramps, but beefy enough to work on 300 dpi comic pages without crashing. There isn't anything at the 300-400 price range with as good of a pen (or keyboard) that's as beefy or light.

As for the icons, a lot of the art apps I use let you hide the UI and click it back quickly so the amount of space isn't much different than my preferred size of sketch book.

It combined with a personal cloud drive means I do almost all my pre-production, sketches and simple finished work on the S3, save it on the network, and seamlessly open it up on the PC without having to plug anything in to anything else or clean dust off an ancient scanner.

So it can be a serious tool, *if* it fits your work flow. I've completed about 30-40 commissions on the thing. I just wish they didn't take away my *bleepin* headphone jack. I have too much inner ear damage from infections for bluetooth ear buds -_-.

4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How have you gotten on with the 15.6? Did they eventually send you the right pen?

I bought the Kamvas 13" for a far more portable solution than the 27" canvas as I want to sit with my family when drawing. I'm not 100% sure about taking such a device in my backpack but I've been seriously exploring the options - a 15.6 tablet lets me sit on the sofa and draw but it's definitely too big for my backpack at the moment.

Very true, I think we all have different preferences - I like small ultraportable A5 sketchbooks - but for me a digital version like ThatComic's little samsung wouldn't work for me neither would a 9" or 10" iPad. I do love paper and the feel of paper and at that size I couldn't live with a glass screen whereas at A3 or much bigger I don't mind glass / card / paper / plaster or metal to draw on.

5. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Amazon did eventually send me the right pen, but that was another headache since they sent me the version with just the pen despite me ordering the version with their fancy pen stand and extra nibs. If you travel their pen case is one of the best I've seen.

They sent the case separately after and 100(!) nibs for the trouble. The nibs were an amazing touch since I had just paid 15$ for 4 freaking wacom nibs for the Lenovo AES pen to try and make drawing on the glass on that thing remotely bearable.

On the S3 though, the nibs on that thing are good enough I don't even notice I'm drawing on glass. My preferred sketchbook size has always been a 7x10" though since it wasn't much larger than a paperback book and in my youth I always had one of each on me at all times. I've accidentally clunked the back end of my Staedler Noris stylus on the screen trying to erase because I've forgotten I'm not using a real pencil and paper when I hit that OCD zoned out drawing state since with traditional I tend to keep a fat ol gum eraser on the end of my pencils. But I'm also a dummy and doing inktober stuff I got so zoned out with my inkpad sitting on my drawing tablet stand once I tried to hit ctrl alt del on the keyboard xD.

Despite the headaches to get everything right, I'm loving the XP pen. It eats nibs fast and the textured screen protector scratches easy, but those are things I'm used to with *all* the wacoms I've had. I miss touch but the buttons are so nice vs the wacom hybrid and I've had less driver issues than with the wacom too.

6. thatcomicsguy

What drawing program are you using? I should probably settle down and try a bit harder to give it a chance.

Fact is, I'm still new and only recently out of the "Frustration-Moon" phase after a marriage of convenience. During which it steadily kicked my ass for three days straight while I tried to root it and get certain functions working. After all of that, I remain defeated. And cranky. No USB Internet Tethering for me!

But maybe it can serve in some capacity!

7. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

It did take me a good week to figure out what apps and workflow would work for me and what wouldn't.

What you want in a PC UI and a tablet UI are completely different and I was using Clover paint before I finally came to the conclusion that sometimes less is more.

Strangely enough I ended up with an app I hate drawing on the PC version, Medibang paint. It has comic paneling controls that aren't as good as Clip but way better than say PS or Painter, and they have cloud saves on their own server. What this means is I can get on the PC, lay out all my comic panels (In 300-600 dpi!), save em to the cloud and open em on the tablet, get the work done, save it then go onto the PC and export them as PSDs to take into Clip to add text, clean up, etc.

They hide the good brushes on you though, you have to go in and download brushes.

I know this sort of thing isn't everyone's cup o'tea (not mine either but it pays the bills) but one of my clients working is working on a Visual Novel game and I was actually able to get their work done using just the S3

[​IMG]

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

That looks great!

Medibang, eh? I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the tip!

9. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's a portable bluetooth headphone jack: the Radsone EarStudio ES100.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078H4YD2L

I'm sure there are other choices; this one works really well.

10. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello folks, Huion has majorily improved the wobble issue on slow, diagonal lines

doobiedoobiedum, Steve S and Marty like this.