Huion's Kamvas Pro 13

Discussion in 'Artists' started by AvalonX, Aug 29, 2018.

1. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone see this yet? It looks like its only $339? This is the only review I can find though.

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

@CreateNowSleepLater is actually a forum member so you could ask questions here.

Looks really good - I watched a review of the 22 Pro which seems to have very similar tech except having checked the website - bonded screens and tilt support is limited to the 13 inch model.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

Assuming you watched the review. I did get some follow ups about tilt. There is a follow up for tips. In general, I was super impressed. I dont make money on Youtube so my opinions are my own. The pressure compares with the Cintiq pro (i'm not kidding). If anyone has any questions, pop them in. This guy even has tilt.

4. doobiedoobiedum

That's pretty impressive. Did you get to try this tablet with a Mac to compare against a Windows machine?

5. CreateNowSleepLater

I didn't, I don't have a Mac but I know Mac is supported.

6. doobiedoobiedum

@CreateNowSleepLater - have you had any issues with different line speed when drawing?

Another Youtube reviewer has quoted you as he has had a 13 Huion test unit sent to him but he is getting serious waby line issues on his Pro 13. You also get a mention as he watched your video to see why you didn't get wobblly lines.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. CreateNowSleepLater

I didnt get a chance to see a response. I think I asked him what driver he was using. I'll look tonight after work. I suspect the driver but idk, Jazza has it too and didnt mention it.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sadly, slow line wobble is generally not a driver issue when observed in either EMR or AES.

I say this because I've spent many hours with wobbly digitizers, fighting to get them working correctly. One was a faulty EMR machine which I was able to return for a refund, and another was an AES machine which I owned for half a year and finally gave up on. In both cases, I felt that gut-punch of "Aw, no! Not after spending my money and waiting and hoping..." It's like getting a busted toy on Christmas morning.

So in each case I did *everything* I could think of to explore and hopefully right the problem, including fresh OS installations of different kinds, trying every combination of driver from every conceivable publisher up and down their version list, and even trying different kinds of EMF and static electricity shielding, going so far as to build a full-on tin foil Faraday cage to test my machine in.

I learned a bunch of interesting things, (like if you wrap tin foil around a stylus, at what point down the pen shaft does it block signal), but the take-away was that, (while AES was more sensitive to static electricity and dirty power), the underlying reason for 'normal' line wobble (as seen in Brad's video) in both cases was due to flaws in the under-screen antenna (in the case of EMR) or the placement, number and manufacturing quality of the capacitive sensors (in the case of AES).

With EMR, if there is a flaw, it can either be due to shielding problems in the computer, where EM interference is coming from components in the tablet itself, or if a part of the antenna has been damaged, has failed or small inconsistencies across the antenna array means that the signal fluctuates slightly on different areas of the board.

With AES, if there are a sufficient number of X,Y sensors, or if they are of a particularly high quality, (as I would guess is the case with the Apple iPad Pro), you don't get charge variance 'holes' appearing in the array, so a smooth line at slow speed is possible. In Windows devices using AES, my conclusion is that there are either too few sensors or that they suffered from sub-par quality control during manufacturing, so as the pen moves between them, inaccuracies appear. When installing capacative sensors or electronics along the edges of a screen, even a micro variance between parts (which might fall within normal error tolerances for most applications), might be magnified under use to the point where they create an issue.

I think AES is probably more difficult to get right simply because it involves lots of analog sensors working together, whereas with EMR, you have only two on each axis, so there is a built-in stability to the signal and far fewer potential points of failure.

I don't know how Huion's system works, but it would seem to me that they are perhaps using sensors manufactured with too high an error tolerance.

There is only so much a driver can do to mitigate these problems, especially when dealing with components which have slight but randomly different sensitivities from one another.

I was thinking that a driver which does a sort of user feedback test where it repeatedly asks, "Draw a slow diagonal line on this portion of the screen. Is there more or less wobble?" -And it adjusts offsets for a rinse and repeat. But nobody has made a driver like that.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  9. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Now that were getting tilt on budget models hopefully we'll start seeing touch next! The slider and hotkeys has me really interested in this one because even though I have a monoprice 22HD I still end up going back to drawing on my Samsung s3 because the touch zoom and rotate helps speed up my work something fierce (I tend to rotate my physical canvases/paper a lot too, just one of my quirks). I'm thinking the hotkeys might help bridge the gap a bit better.

10. CreateNowSleepLater

Yeah, maybe he just a bad one. I mean, I screen capped mine so there must be something.