Huge difference in PDF text clarity between desktop and metro apps

Discussion in 'Dell' started by bugelrex, Nov 8, 2013.

1. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

If you are trying to read technical PDFs, there is an enormous difference in text quality when reading from desktop (PDF within Chrome) v.s the Metro Microsoft Reader app.

The desktop is so so much sharper, very nice. the Metro app is a little blurry around the edges, looks too soft to look nice.

It something to so with font scaling or aliasing, is there anyway to make the metro apps look just as sharp?

2. mxm1859

mxm1859 Pen Pal - Newbie

I was absolutely shocked how badly both Adobe Reader Touch and Microsoft Reader rendered a sample O'Reilly PDF I loaded up, yet the web pages are mostly silent about this. Try getting "Drawboard PDF" from the Windows App Store. It's free. It's almost like night and day!

EDIT: On my V8P, when you try running it side by side with another app (I've only tried Adobe Reader Touch), even though the Drawboard PDF window takes up half the screen, the PDF gets the inside 2/4 parts, with 1/4 black bars on either side. Yikes. They need to fix this...

EDIT 2: I just contacted the developers. Looks like they're four Australians, who really want feedback. [http://www.drawboard.com.au/index.php]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  3. bugelrex

4. mxm1859

mxm1859 Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting. I'm definitely going to adjust my ClearTouch settings, but the PDF thing seems to be something else entirely, because even when I zoom in, it's only at ridiculous magnification levels that I notice it. Interestingly, I find similar blurriness on my Mac versions of the full Acrobat. I'm glad to hear that this doesn't happen on the Desktop Adobe app, will definitely be installing that.

I heard back from the Drawboard developers about the black-stripe issue when running it side-by-side with another app: "Yes, this is a feature that we coming out with. While it seems weird, one of the Microsoft frameworks that we are building in does not have support for this 8.1 features yet. But as soon as it does we will be sure to include it, so stay tuned!"

5. mxm1859

mxm1859 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know what desktop app you're using, but have you tried the free FoxIt Reader? OMG. It has a snazzy, super-useful ribbon, modeled very much after the Office apps.

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

+1 fpr Foxit. Reader is one of the very first apps to be removed from a fresh Win 8/8.1 install.

7. mxm1859

mxm1859 Pen Pal - Newbie

What's wrong with Foxit?

8. bugelrex

For desktop app, I prefer sumatrapdf, you dont need to install it, can just run the application executable and be sure of no background (updates, etc) stuff killing battery.

Also remembers your last page when you close and open... and supports chm

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013