Huawei MateBook Tablet PC Surface Pro 4 Competitor.

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by alextrela182, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

The MateBook, along with the accessories, are now on sale in the Microsoft Store for 20-25% off.

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  2. rabilancia

rabilancia Pen Pal - Newbie

3. Droidophobe

I've had my Matebook now for about a week. After all the Surface problems, I'm really pleased to have a tablet that actually works. I've been very impressed with the tablet itself although it's taken a bit to get used to having only a USB-C port. The pen is adequate for casual notetaking. My biggest complaints are with the folio keyboard, which provides so-so stability when typing and minimal protection, and the lack of other accessories. I bought the m5/8GB/256GB model for $799, and I think it's really a bargain for that price.

4. neten

neten Pen Pal - Newbie

How is the battery life overall and in sleep mode? Is there any drain?

5. Droidophobe

I'm getting at least 6-7 hours while using it for things like Email, web-surfing, and MS Office. I don't know about sleep mode...I am either using it or it's off.

6. neten

neten Pen Pal - Newbie

Thnx for the answer!

7. rabilancia

rabilancia Pen Pal - Newbie

Update on my experiences with the Huawei Matebook.

Let me be clear: I really like my Huawei MateBook (Model: HZ-W09). It's incredibly thin & light with more than enough power and battery life for my needs. However, after just 3 months my device started having problems with the touch screen (both dead spots and phantom touches).
    1. After struggling for over a week with rolling back drivers & updates and refreshing the device multiple times, I was finally able to convince a Huawei tech support representative that I had a hardware issue. He finally opened an RMA support incident for me.
    2. Before the RMA was approved, I needed to take and submit 6 images (top/bottom/left/right/front/back) of the tablet and then was told I needed to call back the next day to learn if the RMA was approved.
    3. When I did call back, I was told that the RMA was approved but I would need to wait another 2 days to receive an e-mail with an RMA shipping label.
    4. The e-mail response with the shipping label came 3 days later and way too late to get it to the local UPS Store before the weekend.
    5. The response also indicated that I might need to wait 2 weeks or longer for the device to be shipped back to me.
    6. Huawei provides no RMA status update web-based query capability for us mere mortals.
    7. They also don't offer an equipment exchange option.
    8. In other words after complaining about (but really getting spoiled by) HP, Dell, IBM/Lenovo over the years, the RMA service from Huawei is the absolute WORST!
    While I hope that my Matebook will be returned sooner than later and problem free, I doubt that will ever consider buying another Huawei device.

In short, my personal recommendation is: Don't let the very nice hardware from Huawei cloud your judgement. Simply stay away from Huawei & their antiquated/deficient repair service. I plan to update this post as things unfold.