Huawei MateBook Tablet PC Surface Pro 4 Competitor.

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by alextrela182, Feb 21, 2016.

1. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

In device manager it's listed as "ven_wcom&dev4834&Col04".

Interestingly, recent Wacom AES laptops like ThinkPads don't use that device ID identifier. I spoke with a few industry pen folks, and they're guessing it's tech developed in China. Apparently there are hardware pen developers there whose products we never (or so far rarely) see in the US. Who knows for sure until someone actually involved with making the product wants to tell us. Huawei sent me the review loaner used for my review, but they had no pen manufacturer info to share.

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2016
  3. surfaceproartist

The more I use it, the more I'm convinced this pen is just a variant of Wacom Active ES. It feels different due to the hardness of the nib.

4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One thing is sure that is better proposal than Samsung by using better active pen technology and better folio keyboard implementation-it has a must have backlight also.

But the negative is the small battery capacity 33 MWh over 40 MWh on Samsung.

I wish a combination of positive of two device into one final proposal.

But the biggest issue both of them is the only one USB C port that also don't support thunderbolt.

It's also available in Europe via Amazon de in 2 hardware configuration
    https://www.amazon.de/Huawei-MateBo...id=1469341632&sr=8-2&keywords=huawei+matebook

Sent from my iPad Air 2

5. surfaceproartist

alextrela182 likes this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

The folio case was one of the big things, that pushed me away from the device, as well as the Samsung Tab Pro S. Kickstand (or better) or bust!!! it's really sad that the core m's haven't really been able to deliver on the promise of increased battery life.

EDIT and the pen...
    I'm finding myself increasingly resistant to change, and I didn't like how it felt or the fat nib...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  7. phase IV ending

phase IV ending Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the pen work with the dell 15 7568?

8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First very detailed review
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Huawei-MateBook-m5-6Y57-Convertible-Review.170046.0.html

Pro

+
    bright, colorful display
    +
    sRGB coverage is 100 %
    +
    thin but sturdy
    +
    well-designed Type-C dock
    +
    dock features Gigabit LAN and HDMI/VGA
    +
    good camera
    +
    keyboard with crisp feedback
    +
    lots of storage
    +
    next to no delays while working

Cons

-
    short battery life
    -
    no rear-facing camera
    -
    dock/pen need to be purchased separately

Verdict

In review: Huawei MateBook. Test model courtesy of Huawei

The MateBook takes top honors for the thinnest design and lowest weight. No competing manufacturer offers such a light Windows tablet which has sufficient power to allow the user to work without major slowdowns.

The display features the highest contrast ratio and best sRGB coverage among its competitors and is quite impressive - and thanks to the high brightness even outside. Even though there's some keyboard flex, touch typing is a pleasure and the webcam quality is top notch. The performance trails the Aspire Switch 12 Alpha (i5 6200U) - the current reference for fanless tablets - by about 25 - 35 %. Together with the USB 3.0 dock, the tablet is suitable for office-type tasks - although a DisplayPort is lacking. At least there's Gigabit Ethernet, VGA, and two Type A USB ports.

Unfortunately, the user can't venture too far away from any outlets - and once plugged in, charging unfortunately takes a full four hours. This is the most significant weakness in our opinion. The Core m3-6Y30 version sells for 880 Euro (~$975) and seems to be the better choice: if the m3 should utilize the Turbo thanks to the good thermal properties as well as the faster m5, it shouldn't actually be much slower. The battery life likely isn't going to be much different though - see our review of the HP Spectre x2 12 m3 (m7/m3 comparison).

Users who want the utmost in performance - and save some money as well - might want to take a look at the Aspire Switch Alpha 12 SA5-271-56HM. Thanks to the i5 6200U CPU, this convertible outperforms the competitors. A USB 3.0 dock and the stylus are also optional, however.

As far as sheer mobility is concerned, the Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Core m3 and Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 700 are both top tier with run times of 8 and 7.5 hours, respectively. The Lenovo has less convincing input devices, but the Surface Pro 4 is almost as good as the MateBook in that regard.

If the keyboard is the deciding factor, the Spectre x2 12 - which is available in an entry-level m3/LTE version for 900 Euro (~$1000) - is an attractive choice. The HP comes with two quite decent camera modules (RealSense R200) and an outstanding microphone. The Spectre also lasts about 6 hours (m3 and m7 version). Users interested in a convertible should definitely take a look at HP's offering.

We can't wholeheartedly recommend the MateBook. The price of the m5 version (1180 Euro / ~$1310) is simply too high, although the m3 version is more affordable at 880 Euro (~$975). The short battery life is a real drawback, however.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

9. surfaceproartist

Yes, the MatePen is definitely a Wacom Active ES pen. In my test on the 7568 with Clip Studio Paint, the MatePen performed well, but I found that I had to change my pressure settings to slightly softer than I normally set them. The MatePen offers a lot more tooth (friction or resistance) than the Dell pen, so you may or may not like that response. I find it feels more like a real world pen.

10. phase IV ending

phase IV ending Pen Pal - Newbie

I tend to use markers in non digital work much more often than pens or pencils and the relative broadness of the nib, even if it's superficially the white collar shape and not the active area, is appealing to me.