Huawei MateBook Tablet PC Surface Pro 4 Competitor.

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by alextrela182, Feb 21, 2016.

1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Aman and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Looks really nice, I was discussing it in the Win10 tablets thread. I'll copy some info from my post :

It's 6.9mm thick 640 g (1.41 lbs), and has a small bezel, 12" screen, 2160x1440 (3:2 aspect ratio), 400 nits, USB-C, fanless Core m (m3, m5 or m7), up to 512GB SSD , fingerprint reader, a stylus with 2048 pressure levels ($60), and built in laser pointer (what?!). Looks like you can opt for white or black bezel. Starting price $700.

Also worth mentioning: super compact and lightweight charger, and a dock that looks kind of like an ipod mini that features ethernet, 2x full size USB, VGA, and HDMI.

Quick comparison with the Surface 3: it's 3% heavier but has 12" screen vs. 10.8" screen, has SSD vs. eMMC, has core m vs Atom, is 20% thinner, and has a higher screen to bezel ratio. Not bad!

The main question: which pen technology are they using?

[​IMG]

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With 2048 pressure levels and two buttons, it's probably another Wacom AES device. I like the new wrinkles that allow you to advance slides with the pen button and place a laser pointer in the pen's end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If they had a 10" option, I'd be buying it immediately. Don't get me wrong, the 12" one looks pretty compelling, especially with the relatively small bezels, but still.

Though facial recognition support would be pretty nice, it's not a dealbreaker that this 'only' has a fingerprint reader.

5. JoeS

Added bonus, the reader is between the vol up / vol down buttons, so you'll actually be able to locate the volume buttons by touch unlike on the TP10.

This really hits almost everything I want in a tablet. Super slim, 3:2, fanless core m, SSD, USB-C, slim bezels, bright, pen, fingerprint reader.

All that's missing for me: a snap on 'smart cover' (no keyboard, just lightweight cover), microSD slot (not critical for me), and a pen silo or pen clip. And at 1.41 lbs it's still quite a bit heavier than the iPad air, but it's got a way bigger screen.

6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sound very good alternative proposal over competition.
    The only think I'm skeptical is that Huawei has not experience in the past with Windows device.

It's her first attempt and that's the one reason I'm afraid I bit.

But looks very promising without any doubt and hope continue to invest in the very high segment of Windows tablet and 2 in 1 device.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

7. JoeS

Quick basic comparison with Surface 3 and Surface Pro 4 below. Most notable: about 20% thinner than both, and about 15% less weight per area. No kickstand though. On the possible plus side: seems like Wacom, which could mean better inking experience.

upload_2016-2-21_11-15-11.png

8. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

Just saw a few of these videos pop up for this device and it looks REALLY nice. Is that $700 price confirmed, most of the videos I saw said pricing was yet to be announced.

9. JoeS

Pricing is confirmed, see here.

10. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice! Thanks. Is that with the keyboard?