HP's USB-c charger lock crisis explained

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by alisaad619, Apr 9, 2016.

1. trdood

trdood Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure I made myself clear by reading your response. I did not want to start a new thread as it seemed to be related at a glance with the topic - cannot use anything else to power / charge the tabletbook except the onboard charger. I tried a variety of devices, including fast chargers for cars, 4 types of external batteries and no result. So the simple question is: is there something preventing this from happening? they all work, they all charge other devices except for the Pavilion. Mainly I'm interested why external batteries don't simply work with it, as on a 12h flight, the normal onboard battery is insufficient, for example.

2. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. SSM

SSM Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a HP Elitebook 1030 G2. Looking at a Type-C port, i got the RAVPOWER 26800 PD power bank, and tried charging the laptop, however, it refuses to charge. If I connect it, the Laptop says "Smart AC adapter power output is too low for this computer". Anybody tried this combination? Whats going wrong?

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@SSM : Check your AC adapter. It will likely show that it outputs somewhere between 12V or 19V at about 3.5 A (purely guesswork on my part); this amounts to somewhere between 40W and 65W. Your RAVPower battery is only good for 30W of output power. That's why you're getting the error message...

5. SSM

SSM Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, Today I tried the USB-A to USB-C cable to charge the laptop (essentially 5V@2A) - here I get a message "The attached power source cannot fully power the system. It can only supplement power systems. For full performance use a high..." - If 5V@2A can supplement, why can't USB-C to USB-C @30W supplement the power system of laptop?

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...If 5V@2A can supplement, why can't...>>

...Your laptop's BIOS* is obviously designed to recognize this typical USB power profile. Since many users don't possess the same level of technical knowledge that you do, it's inevitable that some people will try to plug in a USB external battery with the expectation that it will somehow charge the laptop. The message is tailored for this specific scenario.

However, a 30W input is sufficiently robust that it could be a failing AC adapter, an external battery, or perhaps something else. Thus the error message is more vague because of the expanded number of possibilities. Whether the 30W "supplements" your power system or not, I cannot say. It depends upon how your BIOS was designed...

* In this discussion, I am using "BIOS" in the generic sense; the code that controls basic input / output function and control.

7. SSM

SSM Pen Pal - Newbie

But this isn't so smart then.. Is it? Since USB-C is intelligent - it should be able to read that a genuine source is connected and augment the power requirement. At least when it is shutdown, it should charge from this 30W battery source.

8. shinito01

shinito01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey,

I just bought a lovely 8th gen HP Spectre X360 13-ae003na and were looking for a proper Thunderbolt 3 dock future-proofing the setup with a support of two 4k screens at 60Hz AND charging over the TB3 port.

Also got a flagship Elgato Thunderbolt 3 dock (the only dock that ticks all the boxes on paper) and while all data connections work perfectly (screens, USB, audio), the laptop is not charging while turned on.

After turning the laptop off, it charges quite quickly straight away.

I have reached to both Elgato and HP Support, but not get anything substantial back yet.

Has anyone found a solution about how to make it 2x 4k@60Hz + Power Delivery over Thunderbolt 3 for HP Spectre X360 13" 8th gen?

Any other docking stations tested maybe?

BIOS is updated to the newest available F.15 (Feb 2018) version, but still had no luck with charging while the laptop is on.

Cheers!
    Mac

9. Downwind

Downwind Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got the Spectre x2. I tried about everything to find a battery that would work with it's USB C. I ended up getting this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYONAT8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You have to plug your AC adapter to use it. It works but it's a lot of stuff to cart around. i got this 60W wall charger because it's not so bulky: http://www.gostargroup.com/product/60w-usb-wall-charger-type-c/ I still get an error message that it's the wrong charger but I've used it for months without issue.

10. Vortex

Vortex Pen Pal - Newbie

Just FYI for others' benefit , I ordered the ZeroLemon 20,100 mAh power bank which has a 45 W USB C PD output which supports 12V @ 3 A.
    It's able to charge the x2 easily.
    You just have to hold down the power button so the power bank supplies power to the laptop instead of vice versa

Also, if you're looking for a cheap hub , the HooToo USB C hub on Amazon works perfectly fine with it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018