HP's USB-c charger lock crisis explained

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by alisaad619, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Plamen

Plamen Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi

Has anyone of your guys know a USB Type-C hub with pass-trough charging that can work with HP Elite x2 1012 and charge it at the same time? I bought this from Amazon

GN22B Premium USB Type C Hub with PD Charging Port + 2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports +1 HDMI Port + 1 USB-C Input Charging Port Multi-Ports Adapter

and had to send it back as elite x2 was complaining that power was not enought to charge it!

Plamen

2. thunderbolt3

thunderbolt3 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have those two and they work fine with the elite x2:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYBZFV5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A142BGUZC6UH73
    and
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9EE2OJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ULLYMZVAX0QS
    Each has its pros and cons depending on you needs. Both hubs have usb-c charging ports. The Aukey hub has one HDMI 1.4 (limited to 4k@30fps) plus four USB 3.0 ports. The Accell Hub has one HDMI 2.0 (4k@60fps) plus one USB 2.0 port.
    USB 3.1 over Type-c has not enough bandwidth for HDMI 2.0 and USB 3.0 at the same time. If you want to connect a 1080p Monitor and a USB 3.0 device (hdd, ethernet dongle ...), better choose the Aukey. If you want to connect a 4K monitor/tv and a USB 2.0 device (mouse, keyboard ...) better take the Accell.
    USB 3.1 over type-c has not enough bandwidth for 4k@60fps video and USB 3.0 data at the same time.

3. Josh Jones

Josh Jones Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been trying to find chargers and USB-C docks that would work with the Elite x2 for weeks. I finally found both randomly at Best Buy so I thought I would share with the group.

Charger - Targus 45 Watt USB Type-C Laptop Wall charger. It has a 6 foot cable and comes with the 12V/3A setting that apparently the Elite X2 needs. Best of all it only costs $30. I have no idea how long it will last, but good to finally have something that works that isn't as big as the one that comes with the X2.

Dock - J5Create USB Type-C multi-adapter. It allows power to pass through it (PD 2.0 compatible) and has 2 USB3.1 ports, Ethernet and HDMI. You have to let the drivers install, but after it does, the combination Targus and dock seem to work wonderfully thus far. Its a little pricier (its costs $75 at BestBuy), but I can confirm it works.

Hope this helps folks who have been looking.

4. Plamen

Plamen Pen Pal - Newbie

5. benny10033

benny10033 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I am looking for a external battery for pavilion x2 12, but I don't know any one that works with the computer. Do you guys have any ideas?

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. benny10033

Thank you very much, I have taken a look on it.
    But do I have to downgrade my BIOS first to disable the charging DRM?

I forgot to mention that the model number of my laptop is 12-b020nr.

8. benny10033

I have got the BIOS F.05 Rev A from HP. Do I just have to install it and the charging DRM will be disabled?

9. derekbarrier

derekbarrier Pen Pal - Newbie

HAVE HP SPECTRE PRO 13 G1. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF 12 VOLT AUTOHARGER UNIT THAT WILL WORK WITH THIS PLEASE

10. Mc1z

Mc1z Pen Pal - Newbie

I really appreciate the info in this thread. I recently got an HP Spectre x360 15 and nobody anywhere seems to have a charger for it. You can't even get one from HP (part number 904144-850 for the brick). The bottom of the laptop says it's 20v @ 4.5a and it only has the USB-C connector. Does anyone have any ideas for an alternative charging solution?