HP's USB-c charger lock crisis explained

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by alisaad619, Apr 9, 2016.

1. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi

for the past 6 months HP confused us with there decision regarding USB-C
    they adapted a standard technology and made us happy for a second , and then shattered our hope with locking that charging port and defeating the whole point of a standard charging port

HP's official response is that the world is a dangerous place and we might hurt our devices if we where allowed to use any charger with it (because of low quality chargers), and they promised that the situation will get better after the device move to USB PowerDelivery 3.0 standard .

they also said that there devices can charge from any charger when they are off , but the users here tried that and it didn't charge .

so this is the current situation

HP Spectre x2 and HP Pavilion X2 12 can only charge from the official HP USB-C charger (the 45W one)
    HP Elite X2 1012 can charge from any compatible USB-C charger (so that's 45w) this mean that Elite x2 1012 is not locked like the others and can use chargers like Innergie PowerGear USB-C 45 45W Laptop Adapter to charge even if the device is on , this was confirmed via PCWorld writer

[​IMG]

However this does not mean that you can use car chargers and battery packs or USB-C phone's chargers to charge the elite x2 1012 , only chargers with the compatible specs like the innergie .

so why are all HP devices locked and the Elite x2 1012 is not ? this is because its charging port is also a thunderbolt3 port , and thunderbolt 3 have it's own charge controller made by intel (I guess HP couldn't modify it or they where preventing from doing that legally by intel so that intel can have better thunderbolt3 compatibility )

other companies who used usb-c on there PC did a much better job , like in Apple Macbook 12 and Google chromebook pixel 2015 , both can charge from any standard USB-C charger including phone chargers and battery packs

I hope that HP understand there mistake and move away from restricting there devices if they want it to become our devices , or at least they can lock it by default and put a setting on the BIOS for the advanced users to unlock there charging port if they need that .

I still really don't understand the issue fully , I hope that someone from HP teams can enlighten us with why and how , and correct me if I mentioned any incorrect information .

the information mentioned here are from PCWorld and from users on TabletPCreview forum

simhfc and potoooooooo like this.
  2. alisaad619

this is another confirmation of the fact that HP elite x2 1012 can charge with innergie charge (but not the HP spectre x2 , that have a locked port)

this is from mazon reviews of the innergie charger

[​IMG]

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

This is sort of a strange question but I get the impression there is a desire to use this aftermarket $59 charger instead of the HP ($49) one; why is that important? In all my years of using laptops and TabletPC's I have always used the charger that came with the device to charge it. If I wanted one at home and one in the office I bought a second one. After spending $1,000 for a device $49 more for a second changer is an issue?

4. alisaad619

for some people it's the design and size of the third party charger (since they are a company that only do chargers they put more thought into it)

but for me I was excited for usb-c because I can use battery packs and car chargers to charge my phone and laptop, and when I lose my charger I can find a replacement easily, I hope that still happen next year with USB PowerDelivery 3.0, most laptops should use usb-c since it support up to 100 watts

5. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member

And don't forget docking stations.
    Even without TB3 they are quite useful, but only if they are allowed to supply power.

6. alisaad619

that's another huge point, universal usb-c docking stations, it's possible if hp didn't lock the port, now hp's docking station is the only option we have.
    adapters are another point, hp don't make an hdmi adapter with power pass through, so you can't connect to a display and usb drive charge in the same time (which is a common use case for playing movies in a TV via an external hard drive)

7. BeeCee

BeeCee Pen Pal - Newbie

8. alisaad619

9. pilef

pilef Pen Pal - Newbie

The question is, how does the Pavillon X2 12 recognize the HP charger ?

I remember an old Samsung P1000 tablet who had such a behaviour. It was a matter of a resistance between the data pins of the USB jack. I even bought a device who made every charger compatible ( http://www.dx.com/fr/p/usb-power-adapter-for-samsung-p1000-81753#.VwwFjfmLTuo ).

Maybe the Pavillon X2 12 uses the same trick

10. megavinz2000

megavinz2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for this interesting post !

Do you think the docking station HP Elite x2 USB-C Docking Station T3V74AA is compatible with the X2 ?

And somebody knows if a travel battery pack usb-c does exist for this X2 ? As the autonomy of the X2 is not wonderful, it would great to have such an accessory as it.
    Maybe these ones on the HP's website ?
    http://store.hp.com/FranceStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=F4C80AA&opt=ABB&sel=ACC
    http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=M1U19AA&opt=ABB&sel=ACC

Vincent