HP Zbook X2 G4 Protective Case?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kruzilla, Nov 7, 2021.

1. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey all,

So, I got my Zbook back from HP for repairs for the 3rd time and I'm trying to find a protective case for it b/c I use it on my lap desk and it has a tendency to slide off. I tried the one and only case I've been able to find and it was a plastic piece of garbage. Otherwise, I can't find anything. I thought maybe someone on here might have a suggestion.

Thanks for any help!

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

So you mean just a protective hardshell laptop sleeve/carrier that you can put it in when not using it? Or a fitted case that makes it rugged but stays in it during use?
    Custom fitted rugged encasements are gonna be harder to find, though I see best buy has one, which is odd since they never sold the canvas.. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-y7b68aa-zbook-x2-protective-case/15224691

I made mine out of leather scraps and poofy woven synthetic material I had. The leather is pretty thick so it protects it well against most stuff. I feel like most hardshell laptop carriers for the ZBook X2 size would work well though?

20200927_134222.jpg

20200927_134017.jpg

3. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I'm looking for a rugged case to protect it while I'm working in case it slips off my lapdesk (which has happened quite a bit). That case that Best Buy is selling I got for like $9 on Amazon and it doesn't fit well so I returned it but thanks for letting me know. I'm trying to jury-rig something right now but I'm considering just selling the machine.

The only repair that was directly caused by a fall (and it was maybe a 6-inch fall) was when the Wacom digitizer just completely stopped working and had to be replaced. It's a nice computer but I'm getting pretty fed up with the problems it's given me.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I have one of the HP hard cases (same as the one referenced by @stoneseeker ) but I've never used it. For whatever reason, I seldom damage any of my stuff (probably just lucky) and I typically find cases of all types to be too bulky for my liking. I know of no other cases made specifically for the X2. Technically, the X2 is supposed to be a somewhat ruggedized design (your experiences notwithstanding) but dropping any device of this kind will almost certainly result in damage.

Your comment about repairs strikes a chord, though. Although I've never had an accident with my X2, it did suffer a MB failure and had to go back for repairs three times before it was finally, permanently, fixed. That wasn't fun. Fortunately, I had bought an extended warranty so it cost me nothing. But now the warranty has expired and HP informs me that no extensions are being offered; I guess they want to get the X2 off the books so they can move on...

stoneseeker likes this.