HP Zbook X2 G4 Performance Issue

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kruzilla, Jun 27, 2020.

1. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey Guys. So, I ended up getting the Zbook while I had my Wacom repaired. It's got 32gb of RAM but I'm having an issue with various drawing programs (Clip Studio, Photoshop, Storyboard Pro) where the computer slows to a crawl when I use the move or transform tools. I'm guessing it has something to do with the video card but I'm not sure how to fix it. Any ideas?

2. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I have not seen that issue on my Zbook. Could be a windows ink thing?

3. kruzilla

Don't know but it's really affecting Photoshop (which I prefer for coloring).

4. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I too find my zbook (16 gb ram) not astonishing in performance when I use the transform tool in clip studio.
    It's not more fluid than on my old cintiq companion 1.
    I was surprised at first and I thought, maybe, it was due to the 4k screen, which means a lot more pixels to move.
    It doesn't really bother me but I thought that with the enhanced performances I would notice a huge difference.
    I notice the increased performances while drawing with big complex brushes however.

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Its certainly not to be expected on a powerful slate like the HPZBook X2. If my 6 (7?) year old T902 can handle pushing massive files around without lag, then your slate should be able to as well.
    If its across many applications it sounds like maybe a GPU issue. If you want to try and narrow it down in one application, like photoshop, try the following:

-make sure your GPU has the most current drivers
    -check your photoshop performance settings and see if turning off the "use graphics processor" helps any.. if it does, its your GPU that is causing the issues.
    -does it happen when the file gets too large, or does pushing a basic drawing with one layer also lag? Knowing when it effects you will help in solving the issue. Even my workstation desktop struggles with lag after a while in enormous and complex photoshop files with tons of blending mode layers, clipping masks and adjustment layers.
    -try resetting your preferences in photoshop and EDIT> Purge > ALL
    -Run task manager at the same time as you are experiencing lag and look to see what is spiking the hardest GPU, CPU or memory, and that may help us find where the bottleneck is too...

6. kruzilla

Well, PS is performing the worst but it's happening with CSP and SBP as well. I did turn the graphics processor off with PS and it seemed to help at first but then started chugging again. I'll see about the drivers.

7. kruzilla

Nope. Video card is up to date.

8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've not seen anything like the issues being described. When I first got my 16Mb RAM zBook I tested out Clip Studio with some large 800Dpi files and it ran slow but everything is fine at 3-400 Dpi. Photoshop did the same - again using a large 800 Dpi test file but at 300Dpi it's been fine. I also draw over Photoshop video files and haven't had any problems there.

Probably remembering this wrong but the graphics card's sole job is driving that screen.

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If I’m not mistaken, even with the dream color model you should be able to disable the Quadro graphics in Bios. Disable them and run Photoshop/ClipStudio with the integrated gpu instead. That should as least confirm if it is the quadro graphics card or not.

Another possibility.....when you were setting up your Zbook....did you enable OneDrive? Aside from the whole annoying aspect of creating two desktops, my OneDrive filled up and that was bogging my system down.

It could also be a failed Windows update....I had really sluggish performance for like a week at one point, and it was from a windows update that somehow kept failing. Had to download and install the update seperatly.

10. kruzilla

Maybe a stupid question but how do you disable the bios? I never set up One Drive so that can't be it. I'll look into the Windows updates (man, I hate Windows updates).