HP ZBook Studio x360

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ATIVQ, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think you are falling more in love :p...didn't you say the SB2 display also had some uniformity issues? Did those get fixed?

Though I will agree, I find GB12 display to have noticeably less contrast than the AMOLED on the recent Galaxy S phones (and even the Tab S3). The difference in contrast/color saturation between a good IGZO IPS panel is not as much in this case (but I wouldn't go so far as to say "worse").

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

@Marty I don't remember saying that regarding the Surface Book 2 display but then again I don't remember what I ate yesterday so... :rolleyes:

The Galaxy Book, THAT had uniformity issues!
    You won't notice them until you start changing the values for brightness/contrast/gamma in the Intel control panel to make sure all the black levels are displayed correctly though.
    And don't make me start talking about how ugly is the situation on the Galaxy Note 8 with the blacks so heavily crushed it's a pain watching many YouTube videos...

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry, I might be making stuff up. :p

I thought you said something like "the screen is better than the SP5, but still some slight gray banding and white point is off" when I asked you for advice if I should upgrade to the SB2 15".

But hey! If it's as good as you say, I'm now even more tempted to switch! :thumbsup:

If only I could install my own SSD without all the pain...did you get the 256GB version? I plan to use clipboard mode 90% of the time, so I'm worried about space.

4. Azzart

It's easy to be better than the SP5 display. Anything is better than that. :D

I'd say the only problem with the SB2 display is the usual custom brew Intel driver from Microsoft that makes the display adjust very slowly to abrupt brightness changes when running on battery.
    Something common with any Surface device.
    Usually I would just install the drivers from Intel directly and set the performance in the Intel Graphic option panel but I discovered that driver screws things up on the SB2 so I reverted to the Microsoft flavour.

Marty likes this.
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

You have the new Note 8? That's sad to hear about the contrast, it looked like a nice phone all in all. My Note Edge is still performing like a champ after I replaced the battery with a new one so I'm in no rush to replace, but I am convinced I will need another Note phone in the future, the pen is too valuable to me.

6. Azzart

As far as I can tell crushed blacks is a common issue of Samsung Amoled displays.
    Nothing comparable to the ugliness it was the display of my first gen Galaxy Note though. :D
    Let's say that all in all I prefer the iPhone on that particular matter.

7. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

BH Photo and Video shows these are now in stock, though, the top model they carry doesn’t clarify if it has the Dreamcolor UHD display. I’m also researching if these are user upgradeable, like memory.

Overall,
    Could this be a possible Mobile Studio Pro replacement? I mostly use the pen in ZBrush, less for drawing. If I draw, it is to sketch ideas, touch ups, etc, nothing precise. Would this pen be good for my needs? I’ll then let my girlfriend use the MSP, as she actually illustrates and her Wacom Companion Hybrid is actin wierd with its cable connector.

One main reason I’m looking to switch, even if the pen is a slight downgrade, is the need for extra cores, as that helps rotating in ZBrush. ZBrush is nortious for being slow when zoomed in, even on a low poly tool. The dual core in a MSP can begin to feel sluggish quickly.

I also want a device that is more portable and not as fragile as the MSP.

8. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

It has 2 memory slots. Unfortunately its under one of those idiotic metal shields with a ton of bendable clips. I would remove the shield and keep it in the original box for storage. No reason to heat up your RAM more by insulating it from airflow
    upload_2018-7-19_17-56-26.png

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

LOL half a downpayment on a house or a laptop convetible???

Most expensive convertible.JPG

To clarify, that's USD and maxxed specs (a total of 5gigs of SSD storage and 32gigs RAM). Although I don't think there is even options to configure your own in Canada. At least I can't find any. Is it psycho to think that if this had EMR I would still be tempted by this beast??

*EDIT* whoops I hadn't selected the screen yet... it was actually $11,000+ USD after the dreamcolor 4K display...

10. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you have that much money to drop on a computer...temptation is child's play, just buy it already!

I think I've decided the best route for me in the future is getting a JBOD enclosure and slowly adding SSD storage as deals pop up. Then I can go with whatever size internal SSD that comes with the devices I want, save money, and not worry about upgrading/teardowns of devices.

I wanted to keep things as small and streamlined as possible, but maybe this is the best compromise.