HP ZBook Studio x360

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ATIVQ, Apr 5, 2018.

1. nurbs

nurbs Pen Pal - Newbie

Marty likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So selecting some upper-mid range specs, with minimal storage:
    • ZBook Studio x360 G5 with Intel® Core™ i7-8850H vPro™ processor (2.6 GHz, up to 4.3 GHz with Turbo Boost, 9MB cache, 6 core) + NVIDIA® Quadro® P1000 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated) (2YS51AV)
    • No Adobe Software
    • 15.6" diagonal UHD B-LED UWVA DreamColor for HD Webcam ultraslim Touchscreen (3840x2160)
    • 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4 2666
    • 512 GB PCIe NVMe Self Encrypted (SED) OPAL2 TLC SSD
    • Intel® 9560 ac 2x2 +Bluetooth 5 (vPro™ enabled)
    • Huawei ME906S 4G LTE Mobile Broadband
    I'm already at $5808 USD! :vbeek:

I don't even want to think about what the Canadian dollar price will be on these.

So how are you guys justifying the purchase?...honestly, I'd never though I'd say this, but even the top-end SB2 config seems downright affordable now.

ATIVQ likes this.
  3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Quite unfortunate piece of engineering. Waiting for the reviews...

My guess is the preconfigured models will be significantly cheaper than the customized models (on B&H they're about half price the customized models).

4. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

I would give it a month or 2. That is about how long it took the ZBook X2 to go down about 15% on its own (the "you save XXXX" under the price) + have 25% off coupon that is inevitably released. That + Education 5% discount is about 45% off what you see now.

5. Marty

So your guys' target price point is around $3000 USD then? Personally, I would still need to add 1-2TB of after-market NVMe storage to bring this up true daily driver status.

So ~$4000 USD before any import fees and taxes...that's still ¡Ay, caramba! :vbeek: territory. And to think that's going to be the stars-aligned "best price ever"...lol maybe I should back to building desktops.

6. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

Nah, wouldn't pay more than $2500 for this (delivered to door in USA). Not going to even bother before notebookcheck's review is out. Only interested in the Top line Dream-color display, and if it can come close to my AW13 OLED. Looking to upgrade screen size without sacrificing too much color coverage and contrast.

7. Marty

Wait, if that's your criteria, don't you literally have just 2 choices on the market for tablets? Yoga X1 2nd Gen and Galaxy Book 12.

Have you found any other IPS screen that can give anything close to OLED black-levels? I've been searching for forever...

cmd likes this.
  8. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

Tablet or touch is not a criteria at all. Just a trend that better displays tend to be in them. Also barring any big leaps in cost, if it the same laptop (eg. Zbook Studio and Zbook X360); I'll go for the one with the 360 hinge.

1st criteria is display
    2nd is Dedicated GPU (about GTX 1050 performance or greater desireable)
    3rd is CPU performance, should not be ULV if avoidable

The "closest" display in the 15"+ segment is MS Surface book 2 with 1700 contrast level (~900 is a typical IPS) and .24 Black level (typical IPS is ~.40). Too bad that it it has rubbish color space coverage and ULV CPU.
    Apples Macbook Pro has a decent display with very good contrast and black + much better color space, but I will not move to that software environment, nor think it is good enough for the other trade offs.

I've had about 5 laptops since my first AW 13 OLED (including surface book 1) ended up going back 2wice and am now sticking with it until something good can come out

Marty likes this.
  9. Marty

Thanks for the rec. I'm a little skeptical of review units (because MS cherry picks the hell out of them), but I actually went to the local store to test out the SB2 15" a few days ago.

The display was nice, but honestly my eyes did not see amazing contrast or anything. It looked like a normal, glossy IGZO display that's common on most phones nowadays.

..which isn't bad, but it didn't really look any better than my Z Canvas display (even though mine reportedly only has 570:1). And if the gamut is only 68% Adobe RGB, that's even paltrier than my "cheap Chinese drawing monitor".

But specs are just specs, I trust my eyes more than numbers (for displays), and they tell me the Canvas has a nice, neutral colorful display, and only OLED (all variants) has consistently given a distinct upgrade in color saturation and contrast.

cmd likes this.
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Don't know, I find the display of the 15" Surface Book 2 to be fairly better than the one on the Galaxy Book 12.
    But maybe it's just the love that's coating my eyes. :D