HP ZBook Studio x360

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ATIVQ, Apr 5, 2018.

1. nurbs

nurbs Pen Pal - Newbie

How many versions of Wacom's AES has been implemented in the past few years? Would it be the same version as the Bamboo Ink, or a newer revision?

The x360 will be a large and expensive purchase, just want to be sure it works. Might walk into a Best Buy and test out the current pens they have on demo. Anyone know which tablet or 2-in-1 would have the latest Wacom AES tech?

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Wait for the reviews if you want to be sure. I certainly will.

The XPS 15 has Wacom AES 2.0 with tilt, but the tilt only works with the built-in Microsoft Paint 3D so far. AES is backward and forward compatible except for the very earliest devices that came out in 2015.

Marty likes this.
  3. nurbs

nurbs Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah nice, thanks! Will go and check that out in person - Best Buy or Fry's should have it?

The tilt is a funny thing, especially with reviews. Maybe not for every artist, but for working artists, the tilt is not a deal breaker. It's OK for sketching, I guess? But personally never user it. While drawing or painting, I always have one hand on the keyboard for shortcuts and brush size, which is more intuitive and way quicker. It's like the eraser part on a stylus. Many artists don't use it. Much quicker with keyboard shortcut to get to an eraser.

And speaking of reviews -- and I understand most reviewers aren't artists --- but many of them don't go into much detail with the pens from the perspective of actual photoshop painting or drawing.

4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wooo.Which configuration are you thinking of getting? Mostly for 2D or 3D
    graphics work? Any plans for the Yoga once your new machine arrives?

5. Restroom

Restroom Pen Pal - Newbie

HP's insane marketing machine, I think, lied to us in their initial 'leak' of the current-gen ZBooks, pitching the larger DreamColor monitor and the new-gen Wacom AES as though these things could possibly coexist. It's the much-lower-quality, touchscreen monitor only that will accomodate the pen that they advertise, and if you want both a quality monitor and even basic tablet-PC functionality you have to sacrifice somewhere.

I won't even get into how they decided not to try to sell the other, nonconvertible ZBooks, with potentially better specs and a case design that at least kinda gives a **** about airflow, as potential pen-tablet workstations. I thought HP was really coming through with this one, only to discover that the best they can do is mediocre-display+AES+awful-'thin&light'-convertible. Even so, though, the specs are still a good deal better than you can get from anyone else; the Fujitsu is significantly more without the option of discrete graphics, and even they've gone to AES now, I think. Starting to think that if I wait for a strong-spec pen-tablet with workstation performance capability I'll be waiting forever, and I'm half tempted to just buy a to-spec gaming/perf 17" with the best monitor I can get as well as a Cintiq (or a decent Chinee knockoff)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2018
  6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

First I have to convince myself something's wrong with the Yoga. Trouble is, it's a great machine and I'm not inclined to replace it. Dumping the T904 was easy because I never did get used to the fan whine and display air gap, and the Yoga was a huge upgrade in every aspect. Upgrading to the Studio x360 essentially only adds 10-bit color and full Adobe RGB coverage. The 10-bit color uses dithering so I might wait for a true 10-bit display.

No graphics work, I just like a good-looking display.

Marty likes this.
  7. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Test

8. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

Soo the cooling does not look to promising. I assumed from first pics/renders (that never properly showed rear) that the vents on the side where intakes; and it would still have fan exahst in the rear.

Well prepare for hot hands. The exhaust is from those vents on middle of keyboard area:
    upload_2018-7-12_20-39-59.png

If that wasn't bad enough. It looks like the cooling could hardly be enough for 6 Cores + P1000 (between GTX 1050 and 1050ti performance)

Unfortunately, but not unexpected, you have to choose between good battery capacity or 1/3 less battery with good storage:
    upload_2018-7-12_20-49-47.png

ATIVQ and Marty like this.
  9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm still rocking the Vaio Z Canvas for a little over 2 years now, the longest I've ever owned a device. I'm sold on the single device solution for my needs (desktop computer docked at home and notetaking device at school).

I was interested in this machine, not because I NEED it, but because I want a new machine. I'm a little weary of it now based on a number of factors. Not sure if I should just stick with my ZC until it dies or recoup most of my money on eBay and get the X1 Yoga 2nd gen.

10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm kinda in the same boat as you.

Love the OLED option on the X1 Yoga 2nd Gen, but do you really want to downgrade to a i7-7500U/i7-7600U? I don't think I could handle that.

On the other hand, the cooling on the ZC is so well engineered, I'm hesitant to upgrade to any of the new 15/25W 8th gen CPUs without a lot of strenuous benchmarks coupled with fan noise reports (which are kind of hard to find).

So basically, I'm stuck with a lot interesting options but nothing that blows me away. (Dammit VAIO just release the ZC2 already, and save me from my pain... :p)