HP ZBook Studio x360

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ATIVQ, Apr 5, 2018.

1. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I got it back with a new screen, took them 3 weeks at the depot to repair the drop damage that either occurred during it's stay at the depot or in shipping.

New cooling fans installed, so no more boot errors.

Unfortunately I've tried everything software I can do, but the system can't rotate automatically. It also can't tell when it's in tablet or tent mode and closing the lid should put it to sleep, it's completely blind. I've tried with only the HP drivers, updating to the latest available via Windows update, modifying settings, double checked the bios settings and reset the cmos, changing the registry, resetting Windows and even going clean install... So there's something hardware that's not reading properly. None of the HP software testing tools seem to have a mode for testing the sensors. So I don't know if they messed up at the depot, or the sensor(s) aren't reading right. The autobrightness firmware update really made some nice improvements.

The keyboard is getting worse, the numlock indicator flickers to key presses, and the caps lock indicator flashes on when pressed, but that's it. It can't lock out the keyboard either, so manually running tablet mode is worthless, because the keys still press.

The audio is getting worse too... I'm kinda stuck on this thing until vacation because I can't not have a computer, so either it survives or it dies.

I got an anti-glare screen protector for it, and the screen and image quality are improved by it. I still don't understand why HP made the AG touch screen a restricted special order item here. I really do believe that this machine would be basically perfect for me with the i7-8850H, NFC module and AG Dreamcolour display... Well assuming I could get it working completely. LoL

Too bad HP wants almost $2000 for the AG Dreamcolour display assembly retail here. I was also told by someone at HP, that they lock the NFC port at the factory, so I can't add it, after the fact. If true, it's really kind of disappointing.

Does anyone else have problems with theirs not being a convertible?

Guess I should have gone for the X2... lol

2. gamefoo21

Ok... I am at the end of my rope with this thing.

I honestly can't figure out what's conflicting.

I have hunted down the newest drivers, I have formatted and reinstalled more than once. I have reflashed the bios, I have reset the bios, I have gone through the bios with a fine toothed comb. I have gone through every suggested fix both from HP and the internet.

I'm ready to toss this thing into a garbage compactor...

Every time I correct the registry, it unsets after reboot. I've stuck it into tablet form and rebooted... Auto rotation 1 seems to auto reset to 0. I've checked with 3rd party software, the sensor for rotation is reading perfectly.

I seriously do not understand why it refuses to rotate. On the G3, it was tied to enabling the Intel MEI, but I have the 8750H in this thing and it's MEI implementation is not there. But on the G3, it couldn't see any sensors, on the x360 it is reading them.

I seriously don't know what to do. I've even tried drivers and software from other models, and the registry resets and the system locks auto rotate.

Is it linked to how I can't get it to do anything automatically for switching into Tent or Tablet mode?

Is my only choice to download a clean image, format, reinstall, and install everything one at a time hoping to catch the offending software?

I wonder if it's because HP doesn't seem to officially support 1903 on this thing. *sigh*

3. SuperFlyBoy

SuperFlyBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm having a similar problem - just took another brand-new 1 TB 970 Pro and Acronis-cloned from the original HP NVME, installed all drivers together with HP Zbook support - and then while installing Office2010, it blue-screened! Now cannot uninstall or install Office, so wondering if I go with the tech's original suggestion of installing Win10 from scratch.

I will only spend 20 more hours on this - otherwise I'm switching over to the other brand-new unit I bought - the Precision 5530! :mad:

What I have found in comparision to Dell is that Dell's hardware is awesome as compared to HP (HP sucks I think...), but the HP techs are great - while the Dell ones which I have interacted with are totally clueless...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019 at 3:26 PM
  4. gamefoo21

Hey,

I seem to have narrowed it down to a switch in the keyboard.

The keyboard lock is sensor or switch is dead. So it's either new keyboard or system board. Joy...

Also if you want to start with a clean install of 10, download the upgrade/media maker tool from MS. It will be unmolested by HP but still carry the HP system tags.

5. SuperFlyBoy

Sorry about the trouble you've been having - at least you are able to identify the problems!

With regard to the clean install - why wouldn't you want to use the HP version? Wouldn't they have engineered it to be *more* compatible??

6. gamefoo21

The HP version breaks GPT support for some reason. Also it seems the generic MS install is faster. Even after using Softpaq Manager to install everything else.

I'm basically at the point of forsaking HP for quite a while.

Their depot staff changed, and they are painfully incompetent. Their support has also gone from great to, it's painful to call or talk to them.

I'm ordering an onsite service upgrade because I can't be waiting weeks for the depot to sort shiza.

7. SuperFlyBoy

Are you referring to the HP Parts department? Those guys in Central America?

They are hopeless!

Zbook support overrules their *concrete* guidance to me (even with a supervisor!) and gives me the correct information on parts and requirements...

It was like pulling teeth...