HP ZBook Studio x360

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ATIVQ, Apr 5, 2018.

1. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah the weights seem really suspect to me as well but its the joy of manufacturers using obfuscation with 'max'.

Okay this is horribly weird...

I was playing with my x360 some more and it's almost like the screen has settled in. The back light bleed is also less there today. It's still there but it's less pronounced and the area it covers is smaller. Finger nail press doesn't take mich to distort the picture/colour. The glass feels hard and smooth, so there's that at least.

The screen has improved... maybe... I'll have to keep an eye on it. I'm currently making it work out lorslof cpu, storage and other sub system operations.

System break in is real maybe? LoL

Edit: Snagged some display data from an VESA HDR testing app, for the 400nit FHD panel:

Connection bit depth: 6bit
    Connection colourspace: sRGB/SDR
    Peak Luminance: 270.00
    Min Luminance: 0.50
    Contrast Ratio: 540.00:1
    Gamut coverage %:
    sRGB: 99.944
    aRGB: 85.693
    DCI-P3: 79.722
    BT.2100: 58.090
    Human eye: 33.133

These are driver provided because the display firmware doesn't report. I've loaded the ICC profile from Notebookcheck after I ran the profile checker, so that's pure factory.

The display must be using some type of Hi-FRC to get those numbers because pure 6bit just can't.

Edit: Here's a Bench run of my system:

Factory Image forced to run iGPU then P2000:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16985187

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16985328

Here's the forced update to Win10 v1903 on the iGPU:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17263239

Intel XTU scores:
    6C/6T = 1228 marks
    6C/12T = 1025 marks max 3.96Ghz/73'C totally power limited. I ran this at 55W/65W for turbo limits. I only got 1040pts @ 3.86Ghz/83'C and I was hitting current limiting.

I'm smacking into thermals a bit and power limits. I've only done a little under-volting to the CPU and iGPU. I need a second 16GB stick of memory running single channel is hobbling some of my numbers.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    thatmdee likes this.
  2. gamefoo21

Here's some more Benchmarks running 10 x64 1903 running 6C/6T so no HTT, all run at 1080p:

I also ran these on a similar specced Elite 1013 at 4C/8T on it i7-8650U/16GB and 1080p, HP limits the cpu to 90%, it's results are in brackets. But should represent very similar performance to the 13 and 14" Elitebook x360 systems of this gen. Results in brackets:

PCMark10: 4,757pts(3,843)(Better than 58%(37%) of all results)
    Sub scores->
    Essentials: 9,031(8,551)
    Productivity: 6,653(6,430)
    Dig Con Crtn: 4,862(2,802)

3DMark:
    Time Spy: 2,211pts(409pts, 1%)(Better than 7%)
    Sub scores ->
    GPU Score: 2,024(357)
    CPU Score: 4,654(2,391)

Cinebench R20
    Multi-core: 2166 cb(1167 cb)
    Single core: 412 cb, mp ratio 5.26x(381 cb, 3.06x)
    *Apparently single core faster than a 1950x @ 400 cb

Elite x2 1013 G3 Userbenchmark run:
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17324407

I'm sorry guys but I'm going to have to pull my recommendation of the ZBook Studio x360 G5... No more tests or running for a bit, since I seem to have gotten a truly lemony example.

I have had the following issues appear or get noticed:

1. System fan failure
    2. Right side speakers have failed, distorting and crackling beginning at 20-30% volume
    3. The keyboard has developed electrical issues.
    4. The display being the display.

I really like the stylus but it drains itself in a week.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  3. thatmdee

thatmdee Pen Pal - Newbie

After contacting HP to organise a custom build (i9-8950HK, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 4K display, Quadro P2000), I was told I could be waiting 2-3 months due to the Intel shortage.

So, I've asked for a quote for the same device, with an E-2186M. Given how expensive HP appear to be here when compared to normal retailers (crazy, I don't understand it), and given it's a custom build -- I'm assuming the quote will be ridiculously high.

In which case, I'm stuck deciding between the E-2186M, 32GB, 1 TB SSD, P1000 and 4K display (Part Number 5CE50PA), or the i9-8950HK, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, P2000, 1080p display.

The only other thing I can think of is to just ditch the whole 2-in-1 idea altogether and get a normal laptop with a touchscreen.

4. gamefoo21

Honestly, I would go for the E-2176M. Save the extra cash because you're very unlikely to ever see the extra clock speeds of the 2186M and it's a lot of extra heat.

I'd honestly rank the processors like so for my top two choices:

1: Xeon E-2176M, 2.70/4.40Ghz ECC Memory support, 13.5MB Cache, Security set, best binning and assembly, Intel UHD P630 gets certified drivers for professional apps(but 4K at 30hz)

2: i7-8850H, 2.60/4.30Ghz, 10.5MB Cache, less heat/power draw, most of the security features, best binning of the i7s, UHD 630 trades pro drivers for 4K@60hz. I've read that it's sort of unlocked multiplier up to +4 and can clock the ram down.

3rd tie: E-2186M, 2.90/4.80Ghz, more clocks but more power which means more heat which makes it noisier and less battery life, UHD p630 iGPU

3rd tie: i7-8750H, 2.20/4.10Ghz, 10.5MB cache, non-vpro, lacks some hardware security, UHD 630 iGPU

5th: i9-8950HK, 2.90/4.80Ghz, HP locks out the multiplier adjustment, so it's basically a 2186M without ECC memory, V-Pro, extra hardware security, UHD 630 iGPU. Only pro over the Xeons is that you can get it with the Quadro P2000. It should be binned better than the i7-8850H but won't be better than the Xeons

Quadro P2000 is basically 1.33x the P1000. You can easily use a Thunderbolt 3 external GPU caddy and use much more powerful P series GPUs without driver swapping without the added heat of the bigger dGPU inside the machine.

HP does seem to have the bios settings tweaked for the Xeons to allow them to use more power, operate warmer, and seems to balance the load a bit better. On the i-series models, the CPU gets throttled right back when loading the NV GPU to 15W, on the Xeons it seems to hold the CPU at 30W from what I gather and pulls the GPU back.

If what you are running or doing is more dependent on CPU performance, the Xeon E-2176M is the best choice. If what you are running is more dependent on GPU grunt, I'd lean towards the i7-8850H.

Interestingly enough the ZBook Studio x360 G5 has higher clocked components than the ZBook Studio G5 which lets it run cooler and quieter.

I had to go 2 in 1, because HP decided to completely remove the Touch/Digitizer from the Studio G5. So for me because I need the Stylus and Touch, I had to go for the x360.

I wish I could custom order here but HP refuses so I had to choose between compromises.

I would look into the E-2176M and they should be much more available and use the savings to buy an Accidental Damage Warranty upgrade to the base warranty if it is available. Conversely if you don't need ECC and the extra hardware security fubctions, save even more and go for the i7-8850H for 95% of the performance and features.

Get a 512GB SED NVME SSD and buy one or two 1TB or 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro drives for the price difference. HP charges an absolute fortune for the 1TB+ NVME drives.

Another option to help pound the cost down is to get a single 16GB DDR4 Dimm stock and purchase a second matching one for less later.

Sadly HP doesn't seem to offer the Samsung Pro equivalents anymore at least in these. It's just Evos or Toshiba 5/6 series available in the top end.

Marty and thatmdee like this.
  5. thatmdee

Ok, I'm about to crack and get the E-2186M, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 4K display (non DreamColor).. HP are really slow and messing me around with trying to get quotes for custom builds, supposedly taking 4-5 days (!). My only other options are custom build on the HP US site, and pay a fortune in import duty and other taxes, or settle on a higher end prebuilt i9-8950HK, 64 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, P2000 -- but go with the 1080p display (and this actually works out around $500 AUD cheaper than the E-2186M build I'm looking at!).

On top of this, HP seem to be plagued with supply issues due to the Intel shortage.

A small part of me wants to get the i9 build, but I'm also worried I'll regret not getting a 4K panel. I've never used a 4K laptop before, so I don't know what to expect -- but up close when comparing in store (completely different laptop) 1080p vs 4K, the difference was quite noticeable. I suspect the difference is more stark if you're using the device up close -- e.g. drawing with the stylus.

Agreed regarding the P2000.. It would be nice, but I can always go eGPU if required.. And I'm not sure what additional power requirements the P2000 has over the P1000, and the added battery drain either.. Keeping in mind, I'm largely doing office/productivity work, software dev, playing with virtual machines and maybe *some* video and/or photo editing on the side. Probably won't be gaming. So I suspect for me, a discrete GPU is almost a 'nice to have'

6. jwambrose

jwambrose Pen Pal - Newbie

I feel you. I am also ordering a custom order one. And they said it could take 3 to 8 weeks.
    The whole process of asking for a quote is tedious, and it has been a 1month going back and forth.
    Truthfully I was considering this or the Thinkpad P1.
    But for where I am from the HP quotes are alot cheaper then the P1.

I think I am going for i7-8750H, P2000, 4k (non-dreamcolour), 16gb ram and 512 ssd.
    Going to upgrade ram and ssd myself so those are fine for now.

thatmdee likes this.
  7. thatmdee

I managed to find a retailer who will get a custom build for me. They've told me 1 - 2 days for a quote.. Much better than HP's 4-5 days (still waiting)!.. I've given them a list of processors, including E-2186M, i7-8850h and i9-8950HK.. I'll pick one depending on availability.

The same retailer tried a couple of weeks ago to get a quote for me, but the HP reseller site they use for configuring the devices has been down.

That aside, at least on the HP US site, if I configure a ZBook Studio x360 how I want (i9-8950HK with P2000), I'm looking at estimated shipping time of 26th June. If it's similar here in Australia, I'm tempted to wait it.

Although, reading around a little more -- I noticed the Quadro P1000 is 40w TDP, whereas the P2000 is 50w TDP. I really have no idea what this means for overall power consumption and battery life though. Would it be similar for typical desktop use, but drain quicker when the power ramps up for more GPU intensive tasks? Or is the baseline power consumption of the P2000 likely to be higher and result in more battery drain?

If the latter, I think I'll just bite the bullet and order the preconfigured E-2186M w/ 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, P1000, 4K (non-dreamcolor). The price is okay, the GPU will be more than enough for what I'm after, and it's available immediately. No point spending an exorbitant amount to go for the P2000 if it results in higher battery drain and I'm not going to really reap the benefits anyway. Not really sure if there are any benefits going for the i9-8950HK over the E-2186M anyway, apart from power consumption as well maybe, although I don't know how you can assess these things.

8. jwambrose

jwambrose Pen Pal - Newbie

So i took a plunge and order custom on it
    i7-8750H
    P2000
    4K (non-Dream colour)
    16gb
    512 NVME

hopefully it arrives in a month.

Does anyone know if non-4G version, the sim card slot is a dud?
    If it is not, will I be able to put in my own WWAN card in for the 4G? ( provided if I could get my hands on it)

9. thatmdee

Well, I finally got a quote from HP, and it's actually very reasonable.. Much better than their site, and cheaper than elsewhere.

I finally got a quote for a ZBook Studio x360, with Xeon E-2186M (was wanting an i9-8950HK, but shortage would require waiting several weeks), 32GB RAM, Quadro P2000, 1TB SSD, 4K display -- for ~$5,200 AUD.. It's going to cost me another $200 to get the same configuration, but with a Quadro P1000 locally.

I'll confirm the i9 shortage with them, but I think I'm fairly happy with that configuration. Given prices on the HP site, I was honestly expecting a much steeper quote. My only remaining concern is the 50w TDP of the P2000 versus the 40W TDP of the P1000. For basic desktop use (hybrid mode, or even just onboard GPU only), is this likely to make a tangible difference to battery consumption? Or only when I throw heavy workloads at the GPU?

EDIT: I ended up purchasing this. So E-2186M, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, P2000, 4K display. I'll be sure to provide my thoughts etc in a few weeks once I've got it. I'm looking at a 20 - 25 business day wait. This includes 10 - 15 days wait due to the Intel shortage, plus another 10 - 15 days for HP to build, test and ship it.

EDIT: Slight tangent... Has anyone used a HP Thunderbolt G2 (230w) dock for the ZBook Studio x360 and comment on how well it works? Or another dock? In particular, I'm curious to know if or how well it works with Linux..

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  10. gamefoo21

You can't get the Xeon and P2000 it's not possible. Unless they changed something along the way very recently.

I don't doubt the P2000 has a slightly higher TDP, it's 33% more silicon and it's basically running at the same clock speeds.

Basically from what I've seen HP throttles the i series version at basically 15W on the CPU when you beat on CPU and GPU at the same time. The Xeons don't throttle like that but they do seem to be louder and warmer. Assuming 45W and 40W, the Xeons push the cooling to handle 80-85W vs the i series at around 55-65W. Then again you aren't likely to use it often in Tablet mode so the case temps aren't really a huge factor.

Did you option for the Stylus to be included on your build?

I really hope you like yours, that's a great build even with the P1000. I really like parts of mine but... yeah... I ordered a memory kit for mine, DDR4 so-dimms aren't cheap for 2x 16GB 2666mhz.

I'm currently disillusioned with HP. When you get yours check it over very closely. Test the keyboard, the digitizer, the speakers, download the HP Softpaq Download software and use it, check for updates, and apply them.

One important thing is to use the HP Performance Advisor software to set your BIOS/UEFI options. It didn't come preinstalled with mine, actually the recovery image was pretty bare bones, but the Xeons come with the Workstation version of 10 Pro.