HP ZBook Studio x360

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ATIVQ, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

Finally happened, MobileTechReview has a review for the Zbook Studio x360

Upon viewing, not much done with the pen.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just found put my order was turfed and I was given some options. Seems theres no anti-glare options.

I'm between these:

FHD, 8750H, P2000, IR/FPR, SED SSD
    DC 4K, 8750H, P1000, no IR/FPR, normal SSD

But both are glare type panels, if I'm understanding correctly. I've heard some not great things about the FHD panels, apparently the Sure-View version has nasty backlight bleed and banding. The 400nit version is almost unusable outdoors and the glass is so thin the stylus easily causes display warping and visible distortion when pressing down slightly.

I really don't understand why HP took the AG off all the panel options except one rare Dreamcolour option when they made it an x360. The normal Studio G5 has better panels for stylus use but they are have no digitizer options.

Sigh...

3. gamefoo21

My review of my Zbook Studio x360 G5...

Disappointing...

The screen:

The base FHD screen is a mirror, it's 6bit without any dithering, and it's bright enough for overcast outdoors. Bright outdoors or overhead lighting will turn it into a mass of glare and reflections.

The glass is so thin, you can barely push on the stylus without it warping the panel and causing the ripples/oilyness/inversion.

The panel has wild backlighting variations. Mine has a glow that leaks light for several inches, it has dark spots... HP knows about the issue, and for customers who feel it's a 'problem' they require you to do their tests. Which follow as:
    1.The room has to be as well lit as a bright office.
    2. The system has to have it's brightness turned down to 50%.
    3. Testing is done with light backgrounds only.
    4. A) If the light leakage isn't noticeable in those conditions it's not a problem.
    B) If still noticeable pictures of the display have to be submitted.
    5. If you get to possible repair, the system has to be shipped to depot, the display is removed, shipped to the factory for testing, they decide if it's out of spec, a display is shipped, the display is (re)installed and the system is shipped back to the client.

That's not great and for a professional machine is pretty poor. I suspect a 3-4 week turn around.

FHD also isn't great for writing notes or doodling as you can see the pixels. After reviewing the panel choices, HP has only 1 anti-glare display and it's not available in Canada because it's custom order. The other panels are glare type which saddens me and makes my work flow difficult without an AG screen protector, that bites into the brightness. The Dreamcolour display if like the Studio G5 will add 50% more power consumption compared to the non Dreamcolour display.

More to come...

WillAdams and Marty like this.
  4. thatmdee

thatmdee Pen Pal - Newbie

A bit of a shame about the FHD..

I found the i9-8950HK, 64 GB RAM, FHD, P2000, 1TB SSD locally for $5,100 AUD, which seems like an absolute steal.. (keeping in mind things are just plain expensive in Australia in general)

My use case is I'm a developer, and want a reasonably powerful workhorse that's also a 2-in-1 as an all round device (browsing, developing, etc). I want plenty of RAM for running virtual machines and home lab type scenarios. I just want 2-in-1 for tent mode, and occasional drawing / sketching ideas. The above seemed to fit the bill, and seems crazy cheap. I was hoping the 1080p display would be sufficient given I'm not a graphic designer, and it would save me some battery life as well. The dedicated video card is in case I maybe want to do some amateur content creation in the future, such as video editing.

Is the above FHD issue likely to affect the model above? This appears to be one of the "boosted" / refreshed models.. I can get the Xeon E-2186M with 32 GB, 1TB SSD P1000 for around $5,600 .. so it seems I'm paying around $500 more for a 4K panel, but less RAM (although 32GB would be fine) and the P1000 instead of P2000.. I've seen 4K panels in store and liked how nice they looked up close, but could see myself satisfied with a 1080p, especially if the battery life is significantly longer. Oh, I'm also worried about scaling issues, and I'm likely to run Linux as my primary OS -- so that maybe more of a headache with 4K.

I'm really having difficulty deciding, especially given the FHD issue noted above.

5. gamefoo21

The FHD screen is pretty nice for what it is. I think on a crispy top end model, you are likely to have a better tested panel, so you are likely to not have the same issues. Seems the review models are all maxed out and have great displays of the FHD type.

One of the weird things about the Xeons is that the P630 IGPU is limited to 30fps or 30hz at 4K. Conversely the 8950HK is locked in the HP bios so you don't get the ability to mess with multipliers and what not but it's a grunty bastard that runs hot, so you'll definitely want to look at some underclocking.

My dreamboat model was the 8850H with P2000 it's the sweet spot for heat and speed with the Dreamcolour Anti-glare 4K.

If you want to game, you'll need to throttle the resolution back to FHD with the P1000 or P2000.

There are some really nice things about the machine, it feels well built, the stylus is pretty great. The keyboard is pretty good, like close to current Thinkpad good. It's a bit difficult to get into but there are lots of upgrades and things to tinker with.

For your purposes, I'd likely go with the 8950HK. I'm not a Linux guy, I've got an Ubuntu box that I glare at... But anyway... I strongly recommend dual booting with 10, just for the HP bios control software and stuff.

If the 4K in the store is the non-DC 4K, the FHD is basically supposed to be the same brightness, colour reproduction ability, surface finish but faster and with less pixels.

My usage case really makes the FHD seem limited. But I can use it on my 12 hour days and might not have to charge it thanks to the FHD and 8750H with it's slightly more thirsty P2000(I can forcefully disable in bios).

I did find out much to my disappointment that HP crippled the Sureview FHD panel with PWM backlighting control. It's the only panel to use it and for my sensitive eyes it's an automatic no go but it does have thicker glass. HP does sell display assemblies or as they call them hinge up units, so it's in theory possible to upgrade a machine to a more desirable display.

6. thatmdee

Thanks for the comprehensive response. Do you happen to know which HP Part Number you have? I'm currently trying to find this out for the i9-8950HK. I've taken a look at the ZBook Studio x360 G5 Maintenance and Service Guide which lists the following under panels:

Full high-deƭnition (FHD)(1920×1080), UWVA, 400 nits, 72% CG, ambient light sensor
    Full high-deƭnition (FHD)(1920×1080), UWVA, 400 nits, 72% CG, ambient light sensor, with HD camera
    Full high-deƭnition (FHD)(1920×1080), UWVA, 650 nits, 72% CG, uslim, privacy, with HD+IR camera

For FHD, there are two spare part numbers:

FHD - L32562-001
    FHD, Privacy - L32561-001

And 1 display enclosure:

FHD - L31686-001

Of course, I have no idea what any of this actually means, and can only assume the panel should be same across 1080p models, apart from the Sure View screen.. The service guide doesn't appear to have been updated since May 2018, and so the i9-8950HK, P2000 and maximum 64GB RAM are not mentioned anywhere -- so I can only assume I'm looking at one of the "boosted" / refreshed units. Again though, I don't know what this means (if anything) regarding the quality of the panel and glass.

When I contacted a local reseller asking about displays, I wasn't able to get a clear answer. They claimed they have been difficult getting this information from HP, who outsource to OEM manufacturers -- but I guess this is common anyway. In conclusion, I can't really gain any insight into differences -- there's only one part number from what I can tell, but who knows if they source it from different locations with perhaps different quality.

Probably the most frustrating thing is that I can't find many reviews on the 1080p model, apart from yours above, a review on tweakers.net which also noted the thin glass and discolouration issue, and notebookcheck.net which didn't mention any problems.

The i9-8950HK model I'm looking at lists the screen as "15.6 FHD LED UWVA fHDC slim TS ALSensor" -- so I'm assuming this is the second panel in the list above

7. gamefoo21

Just a quick response, I'll add to it shortly...

For the displays...

Privacy = Sureview, so it gets PWM, electronic privacy display(side to side view angle restriction with adjustable levels), 120hz, and a very bright backlight.

The panel on the 400nit displays are the same, it's the webcam that is different. IR equipped for Windows hello vs non-IR.

I have the little brother to the 8950HK build you are oogling, my build is:

6EH95UT#ABA

Edited in the Continuation:

You are right there aren't many reviews. I got it confused for the 100% S-RGB 4K panel reviews out there, since there are few Dreamcolour reviews out there and I believe I found one Sureview/Privacy display review and some very fiery customer reviews on the one model available with it by default over here.

Unfortunately it seems the publicly available parts information from HP is very behind the times. Partsurfer can't find any models with the i9 or the P2000.

I would say, if you don't need the convertible functionality and touchscreen or stylus functionality, the Studio G5 has better displays. Unfortunately for me, I use the stylus too much to go without, and I'm still salty because the Studio G5 has a default configuration that's almost exactly what I want/need except it completely ditches touch/pen input, but the displays are that beautiful glare reduction treated glass with acid etched matte treatment like the ZBook X2.

One of the things to remember is that HP basically forces the dedicated GPU to run all the time on the Dreamcolour display equipped models which is why they pull so much more power. I believe the bios loaded on them also removes the option to select the GPU in use or to use hybrid/switchable graphics. Not that even if you can force the GPU option will it eliminate the battery penalty for 4K vs 1080p. Since even in the current HP models that tell you a difference between them you are looking at hours less run time for 4K and that's without the extra bright back light and super colour reproduction of the Dreamcolour panel.

If you are outside or in really brightly lit rooms with roof mounted lighting... I would probably defer to the Dreamcolour option, dial the resolution down to 1080 and fight with an anti-glare screen protector.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  8. thatmdee

Thanks again. I've checked an Elitebook x360 1030 G2 at work, and noticed the same issue.. It doesn't take much pressure for discolouration/inking to occur. Would be very interested to hear from others how the 4K ZBook Studio x360 compares..

9. gamefoo21

My reference poiints are the Elite x2 1012 G1 and Elite X2 1013 G3.

Also looking at the quick specs on the panels, the FHD base display is the lightest and thinnest.

I test how flexible a display is by pressing 2-3 cm in from the corner and dead center.

The G1 has a very rigid display, in comparison to the other 2.

Panel active dimensions and weights for the ZBS360G5:

FHD 400nit: 344.16 x 193.59, 370 grams(max)
    UHD 400 nit: 344.22 x 193.62, 320 grams(max)
    FHD 650nit: 350.96 x 216.75***, 320grams(max)
    UHD 600nit: 344.22 x 193.62, 380grams(max)

The FHD 650nit is the Sureview panel, HP doesn't list an active area and considering the beefier backlight, the 120hz panel controls, and the extra polarizing grid array the specs seem funky.

On the Elite x2 1013 G3...

Sureview 1920x1280 700nit panel is 220g(max)
    Active area: 272.45 x 181.63mm
    Vs.
    Reg Display 3000x2000 450nit panel is 160g(max)
    Active area: 274.5 x 183mm

So I'm suspicious of those weights for the ZBook. There's some pretty wild errors elsewhere.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    thatmdee likes this.
  10. thatmdee

Interesting, I didn't see the panel weights in the quick specs.. Seems even more suspicious to me the ZBook panel varieties are all Gorilla Glass 4, yet the entry level 1080p display is actually heavier than the entry-level 4K display, and only 10g lighter than the DreamColor display.. Although I can't pretend to know how these things are manufactured, quality, etc.

Unfortunately it seems impossible to find the ZBook or other business/elite laptops in store here, but I'd be very interested to see what the glass on the 4K (both base and DreamColor) models is like in comparison. Probably the closest thing I can find in store is a Spectre x360, which is a consumer level device and only very vaguely similar.

I can see why you are a bit disappointed with at least the 1080p panel though. When I tried the Elitebook x360 1030 G2, the inking/discolouration was fairly evident without applying too much pressure -- I didn't have a stylus, was just using my finger. The glass also felt a bit plastic and flexible.

Last edited: May 28, 2019